Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Flight Restrictions for Campaign work

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Flight Restrictions for Campaign work

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flight Restrictions for Campaign work

So, we (the people) shelled out some $100,000 or two, so that President Obama could milk some Chicago wealthies for hi-$$$$ Campaign contributions, and a couple Air Force jet jocks could harass a sweet little old lady in her Piper Cub about 30 miles away from O'Hare.

Bah.
Dave Olson
Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Flight Restrictions for Campaign work

I thought that was his birthday party that you had to put up with. What ever, it cost US big time in more ways then one. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-06-2011, 12:24 PM
outdoorhunting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$100,000.00 ? It costs more than that an hour just to fly Air Force One !!! I don't think I mind that as much as them ( the Obamas) hauling the (first lady & all her family around on their "shopping vacations". We're ALL supposed to sacrifice & I guess their sacrifice is running all over the world.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't begrudge the luxuries to the President. For one, public displays are part of the job, and it's not all fun and games. Every moment he is in front of a camera is a performance, and it's not easy. As for the family and their perks, their role is stressful too and if a little retail therapy keeps the little lady happy, then it's a good thing. The last thing I want is for my President to have to come home to a crabby wife and then make multi-billion dollar decisions the next day.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah those executives in their corporate jets. Some example he set. I don't know why he can't drive like the rest of us instead of screwing me out of another day of flying.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F-16s intercept pilot, 75, in wood-and-fabric plane called Winston

Myrtle Rose says 'it was a beautiful afternoon' so she went flying without realizing Chicago airspace was restricted due to the President's visit
By DON BABWIN

updated 8/6/2011

CHICAGO — Myrtle Rose was just taking a short flight over suburban Chicago when the 75-year-old aviation enthusiast looked out her cockpit window to see two F-16 fighter jets.
She assumed the military pilots were just slowing down to get a closer look at her antique plane.
It wasn't until she got on the ground that friends and the police told her the attention was much more serious — for straying into restricted airspace during a visit by President Barack Obama.
Rose, who tries to fly every day when weather permits, said she had been itching to get back in the air Wednesday after a number of days on the ground.
She normally uses her computer to check for any airspace restrictions, but it wasn't working properly.
"I hadn't flown in over a week," she said. "It was a beautiful afternoon." After some guests departed her home, she "just climbed in the airplane and left."
To make matters worse, "I didn't have my radio on. I was just flying around," she said.
On any other day, the short flight would never have attracted notice. But Obama was in town for a fundraiser marking his 50th birthday. "There's really no excuse for not knowing," said Lt. Col. Mike Humphreys, a spokesman for the North American Aerospace Defense Command, which scrambled the two warplanes, a proposition that costs $9,000 an hour for each jet. "Anyone who flies an aircraft should know the restrictions."
Rose said she was about 30 miles from O'Hare Airport when her plane was intercepted. As the fighters appeared, she wasn't alarmed.
"I thought, 'Oh, well, they're just looking at how cute the Cub is," she said Friday in an interview with The Associated Press.
The blue-and-yellow plane had won a best-in-class award at the Oshkosh Air Show, a huge annual gathering in Wisconsin.
Another NORAD representative suggested that Rose had no business thinking that a military jet racing toward her had anything to do with the cuteness of her plane.
"The biggest thing to keep in mind is that when F-16s come screaming up to you, they are probably trying to tell you something," spokeswoman Stacey Knott said.
Rose, who has been flying since the mid-1960s and even performed as a wing walker until five or six years ago, said the jet pilots could not have been more considerate.
Though she never saw their faces — hard to do, she said, when she's puttering along at about 60 mph and the jets were doing what she figured was about 300 mph — she was impressed with the way the pilot who pulled in front of her kept his distance to avoid rattling her wood-and-fabric plane. "He was very respectful," she said.
Rose returned to land on the airstrip at her home in the affluent South Barrington area. Her late husband owned Rose Packing Co., a meat packer that supplies Canadian bacon to McDonald's restaurants.
Once she was on the ground, some friends rushed over and told her that the rendezvous had nothing to do with the good looks of the plane named Winston. After the aircraft was in the hangar, her yard began filling with police cars.
Rose said she filled out a report with the Federal Aviation Administration, including a note describing how she mistakenly believed the jets were circling to admire her plane. She said she has not heard from the agency.
FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Cory said the investigation would probably take several weeks. Penalties could include a fine or a suspension of her pilot's license, or the agency might not take any action at all.
Rose, a Republican who said she did not vote for Obama, joked about mailing the president a note for his birthday.
"Oh dear, maybe I should send him a belated birthday card and say, 'You should have stayed home and Michelle baked you a birthday cake.'"
Rose said she does have a bone to pick with NORAD, or whoever released the information about her close encounter with the jets.
"The worst part is they put my age in there," she said. "I don't think that was nice."
Old 08-07-2011, 09:02 PM
ira d

One thing we all need to remember is flight restrictions and the pres going shopping or campaigning has nothing to do with Obama, This system of how
AF 1 is used and the restricted air space that goes along with it was in place longe before he was the presdent. The lady in the cub brought what ever
problems she may get on herself, And if Bush or Regan had been in town the results would all have been the same and they also used AF 1 in the
same manner.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 AM
chunkyplunker

And if they or any other former president jumped off a cliff should he?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:10 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: chunkyplunker

And if they or any other former president jumped off a cliff should he?

What do you think?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:16 AM
chunkyplunker

That would involve my personal opinion about our President and current leaders which would lead this into a political debate. These forums is not a place for that.
But I will say our goverment leaders needs to live in the real world instead of being pamperd.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A concern I think we have is that the restricted airspace is getting larger and larger, not only for the President, but for all politicians, that trying to plan for a afternoon flying at the field involves checking NOTAMS and sectionals and then writing off a few days flying so that some politician can make an free lunch date with a donor.

It was not that way a few years ago.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:06 AM
ira d

At this point in time modelers are not required to check notams before going to their flying field and chances are that unless their
field is real close to where the vip or his plane will be the modeler wont even be noticed. However in the event that someone
sees the modeler the police will just ask him to leave the flying site.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

$100,000.00 ? It costs more than that an hour just to fly Air Force One !!! I don't think I mind that as much as them ( the Obamas) hauling the (first lady & all her family around on their "shopping vacations". We're ALL supposed to sacrifice & I guess their sacrifice is running all over the world.
It costs about $275,000 and hour to fly AF One...
Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

I don't begrudge the luxuries to the President. For one, public displays are part of the job, and it's not all fun and games. Every moment he is in front of a camera is a performance, and it's not easy. As for the family and their perks, their role is stressful too and if a little retail therapy keeps the little lady happy, then it's a good thing. The last thing I want is for my President to have to come home to a crabby wife and then make multi-billion dollar decisions the next day.
Guess we know now what caused the 900 billion bailout...