Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby King Shipping Is Broken

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby King Shipping Is Broken

Old 08-27-2011, 04:34 PM
HappyKillmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King Shipping Is Broken

Guys, don't bother responding to TopSpin. He's a known troll. He was banned from RCG for posting HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of posts because he feels he got "screwed" out of a few dollars. It's absurd. Notice how his OP was so middle-of-the-road? As if he's going to give HK a chance. Sheesh. He was king troll for several months posting 90% in anti-HK threads....and what do you know....he shows up here....in what will be an anti-HK thread.

Here's his profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=67951
Notice the "on a vacation" moniker reserved for the biggest [:@]'s on the site.
His #1 thread was not originally titled "an open letter to HK" it was "HobbyKing: The economics of failure." The title was changed once he was booted from the site.

Here's the full story on TopSpin:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471512
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488181

We are all VERY glad to see him gone.

He is also lying about his location. He says "Bendover, OR" here and "Leesburg, VA" on RCG. He's a lair and a troll plain and simple.

EDIT: Want more proof? 13 posts in 13 days: http://search.rcuniverse.com/search....A%22topspin%22
11 were in threads about anti-HK. One was about nitro vs electric....and even in that one he's bashing HK. The last was a question about customs and shippiung back to China. The OP didn't say it was HK...but TopSpin had to chime in....

Another interesting thing to note is he claims to have placed an order with HK on the 2nd of August. Then on the 11th of August he gets perma banned from RCG for trolling the anti-HK threads. Here's what he had to say about them on the 2nd:
Originally Posted by mike2663
I just noticed that this thread has a 5 star rating. It has to be due the entertainment factor.
Mike

Response from TopSpin:
It's getting traction. Hopefully a lot of fellow RCers have learned that HK is not the most reliable vendor on the planet and that there are other Chinese vendors that have good prices and good service.

One other thing I hope everyone will figure out is that HK does not have the huge selection that their web site would lead you to believe. Half of the stuff on the site is back ordered most of the time, especially the US warehouse stock.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18932088

Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Oh gee I'm so embarrassed guys. I hardly dare post it but disaster of disasters, I'm afraid I have to confess that I placed an order with HK on Monday of last week. This is awful, it arrived today. Worse, despite having taken an intolerable 7 days to be processed, packed and get here on the other side of the world - I knew I shouldn't have elected for standard airmail - its arrived intact, well packed in a real nice cardboard box and its exactly what I ordered and it's cost me about 30% less (including the shipping) than buying from a UK vendor.

What sort of a fool would put up with that sort of awful service. Its the same every time - you'd think I'd have learned by now.

Sorry guys, you get on with your really exciting bickering. It must be great fun, and here's me having to spend my time going out flying and put up with good service from HK and crap stuff like that.

I feel awful.

Response from TopSpin:
Yeah Roger all I said was they need to improve their crummy customer service that you obviously have not yet had to deal with. If they would just do that they would do much better. As it is there are plenty who have stated they won't bother with them again for that reason.

So is that a bad thing?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post18933187

When actually given the chance to talk to the owner of HK on the 5th, he chickens out and makes no mention of placing another order:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing
Hmmmmmm, having spent part of this morning actually discussing your e-mail with Anthony on your behalf, I would regard it as being a little premature perhaps?

Response from TopSpin:
Well since you took the time to discuss this with Mr. Hand then there should be no need for me to send him anything. I simply went through you and you have passed my concerns about the customer service/warranty rules to him.

Put very simply, they are nebulous at best. When you go to the HK website you practically need a Rosetta stone to unravel the secrets of how to get replacement or refund service.

You said the company has spent a great deal of money on improving customer service. Looking up from the customers perspective that is not apparent. There needs to be a culture of good will, that means a paradigm shift in attitude toward the customer is required.

The drift of my OP is that we made you a big company. Now take good care of us or we will go make someone else who will treat us right a big company and leave you in the dust. I can't make it more simple than that.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1015

All of his posts from the 2nd: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...1&pp=25&page=3
Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 AM
topspin

HappyKillmore, I have reported your post to the moderators.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Dave Matison

"Happykillmore" is a misnomer if ever there were one. Why don't you just grow up or go away?
Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 AM
HappyKillmore

Beware, TopSpin is a troll. He has been banned from RCGroups for trolling the anti-HobbyKing threads.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
topspin

Hopefully it won't take 25 days..

After getting the battery I discovered it has the wrong connector so I now have to find, or make an adaptor. The connector on my PZ micro is much smaller and the connectors are integrated into the battery so it will require some sort of adaptor plug or short cable. I need to go to my LHS to find out if it's even possible. The good news is the shipping time from my LHS is 20 minutes if traffic isn't too bad.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 PM
HappyKillmore

Welcome to electric R/C. You should standardize on banana plugs and put one of these in each of your planes....so ordering batteries won't surprise you:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18738
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: HappyKillmore

Welcome to electric R/C. You should standardize on banana plugs and put one of these in each of your planes....so ordering batteries won't surprise you:

It's a 1S 300 mah battery, it has a moulded connector on it, they all do. So banana plugs won't work. In fact, they might weigh as much as the plane.

As you can see they are not compatible. The one at the top is the Turnigy battery I recently received but it just won't work without an adaptor. If you have some clever way to fix the problem please let me know otherwise please refrain from posting useless information.

Here is a picture so you can see what I mean then maybe you can post some helpful advice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42032.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1654975  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:05 PM
HappyKillmore

Ack, that's too bad. If you had read the description, you would see that it says "Designed specifically for the E-Flight Blade mCPx. A direct replacement for EFLB2001S25." But your picture shows you're using a "eflb1501s" which would be a completely different battery.

Unless you have an E-Flite MCP-X as listed in the desciption, you bought the wrong battery.

This is the one you should have bought: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...zone_Etc_.html

It's desciption reads: "Suited to the following models: E-flite MCX, MCX2, MSR"

Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
topspin

Ack, that's too bad. If you had read the description, you would see that it says ''Designed specifically for the E-Flight Blade mCPx. A direct replacement for EFLB2001S25.'' But your picture shows you're using a ''eflb1501s'' which would be a completely different battery.

Unless you have an E-Flite MCP-X as listed in the desciption, you bought the wrong battery.

This is the one you should have bought: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...zone_Etc_.html

It's desciption reads: ''Suited to the following models: E-flite MCX, MCX2, MSR''

Yeah except I can get the Hyperion 160's locally and they are much better batteries. Oh well, you live and learn. I'll see if the guys at my LHS can help me out, they've done it before..
Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 AM
HappyKillmore

ORIGINAL: topspin

Ack, that's too bad. If you had read the description, you would see that it says ''Designed specifically for the E-Flight Blade mCPx. A direct replacement for EFLB2001S25.'' But your picture shows you're using a ''eflb1501s'' which would be a completely different battery.

It's desciption reads: ''Suited to the following models: E-flite MCX, MCX2, MSR''

Yeah except I can get the Hyperion 160's locally and they are much better batteries. Oh well, you live and learn. I'll see if the guys at my LHS can help me out, they've done it before..
Probably a wise move. If you don't know what to order, it's best to go in and talk to someone who does.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

OK, I got my order in from Tower today and my order from Hobby King from two weeks ago. Both orders are correct.

Name:	Vt57827.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1655302  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
AmishWarlord

On a funny note the Hobby King parts are for my 40 size Cherokee.

I have concocted a diabolical plot to use the ESC's BEC in conjunction with another HV BEC running separately off the main battery pack and have them routed though a failover regulator switch to give my plane some power redundancies incase my super cheap Hobby King ESC craps out.

Here is the switch I ordered from Hobby King.

Name:	Ge94409.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1655303  
Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
AmishWarlord

...and here is the switch in real life.

It's HUGE!

Name:	Bz79411.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	1655304  
Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM
AmishWarlord

2" Tru-turn spinner looks great.

Name:	Wu60512.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1655375  
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 AM
topspin

I've been doing this for 30 years so I think I know what to order, I just didn't look. It was an honest mistake. Again, lets stick to constructive input.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

...and here is the switch in real life.

It's HUGE!

That's the ticket, just what my 8 foot telemaster needs.. All you need now is a lawn chair.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 AM
HappyKillmore

After getting the battery I discovered it has the wrong connector so I now have to find, or make an adaptor. The connector on my PZ micro is much smaller and the connectors are integrated into the battery so it will require some sort of adaptor plug or short cable. I need to go to my LHS to find out if it's even possible. The good news is the shipping time from my LHS is 20 minutes if traffic isn't too bad.

It's a 1S 300 mah battery, it has a moulded connector on it, they all do. So banana plugs won't work. In fact, they might weigh as much as the plane.

As you can see they are not compatible. The one at the top is the Turnigy battery I recently received but it just won't work without an adaptor. If you have some clever way to fix the problem please let me know otherwise please refrain from posting useless information.

Here is a picture so you can see what I mean then maybe you can post some helpful advice.

Did you or did you not order the wrong thing? It's important to place the blame in the right place. Blaming an online vendor for putting the wrong connector on your battery when in fact it was your mistake is the wrong thing to do. Let's try to do the right thing.

I'm very glad I could help!
Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 AM
topspin

Did you or did you not order the wrong thing? It's important to place the blame in the right place. Blaming an online vendor for putting the wrong connector on your battery when in fact it was your mistake is the wrong thing to do. Let's try to do the right thing.

I'm very glad I could help!

I'm guessing you missed post #36. Please read it. Also, it appears that you are being antagonistic and I don't see any benefit in taking your argument any further. My personal integrity is in tact thank you very much.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
HappyKillmore

Hey, don't sweat the details. It was HK's fault for not contacting you to tell you your order was for the wrong battery. I know the drill. No antagonism from you whatsoever.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:12 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: bcovish

It's amazing how cheap some people will be by ordering from HK and then get screwed. If you do finally get the product and need to return it or some warranty work, you get screwed again.
Yeah it's funny how what looks like a deal turns out to be less than a deal in the end. This goes for most of the Hong Kong companies who have very attractive prices but high shipping costs and no customer service. I don't really want cheap anymore, I want good and I want service and I am willing to pay a few dollars more for it. I guess if your poor and really need to buy cheap stuff then the Chinese guys are the way to go but when you buy a cheap ESC or airframe that's what you get. They turn out to be no deal at all when they don't work and you can't get a replacement.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Mike in DC

I don't really want cheap anymore, I want good and I want service and I am willing to pay a few dollars more for it.
The problem is that it's not just "a few dollars". If it were, nobody would be buying from the Chinese sellers. Heck, I'd even pay double for locally available stuff, but a lot of the Chinese stuff is like 1/10 the price and getting pretty good reviews. Since almost all the stuff we use in electric planes is manufactured in China anyway, I'm not all that sure that I'd help the American economy all that much by paying 10 times the cost for stuff in the U.S.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
HappyKillmore

Buying from HK is a MASSIVE savings. Items are 1/5 to 1/4 the cost of buying from a local retailer. Even at $35 for EMS shipping, I'm still saving a FORTUNE vs buying anything locally. It's a huge win for the R/C consumer. I hope TopSpin doesn't place any more orders from HK. Let us get "ripped off" some more. It's fine by me. You start ordering everything locally. Then you don't need to continue making these anti-HK posts and you'll be a much happier person. Good luck TopSpin!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
AmishWarlord

Well said Mike.

< Feels sorry for all you poor *******s driving Fords and Chevys instead of Rolls Royce.

Don't you guys know that anything under a Rolls Royce is junk?

I don't know why people cheap out and try to save a few bucks on a Ford instead of Getting a Rolls Royce.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

I don't really want cheap anymore, I want good and I want service and I am willing to pay a few dollars more for it.
The problem is that it's not just ''a few dollars''. If it were, nobody would be buying from the Chinese sellers. Heck, I'd even pay double for locally available stuff, but a lot of the Chinese stuff is like 1/10 the price and getting pretty good reviews. Since almost all the stuff we use in electric planes is manufactured in China anyway, I'm not all that sure that I'd help the American economy all that much by paying 10 times the cost for stuff in the U.S.

I hear you Mike, the prices can be very attractive. I still buy some stuff from Chinese suppliers but I prefer the well known US distributors when I need reliability. They also offer a warranty on most of the products they sell and will replace or refund them. Obviously if I needed a motor for my AXN Floater I would go the cheap route, it just makes sense. But, if I need a motor for my .60 Spitty I want quality and a warranty so I would get it from one of the big US vendors. It really depends on what you want and need.

I do support my LHS as much as I can since I want them to stay in business, it's nice to be able to get stuff locally from people who speak RC. And that helps the economy, they all have families to support even if most of their inventory comes from China.

By the way, have you ever been to Hobby Hangar in Chantilly? That's a really good hobby store, they only do RC and are a really nice group of people to deal with.