Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Sullivan tailwheels - Bad Luck, or Bad Quality?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Sullivan tailwheels - Bad Luck, or Bad Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sullivan tailwheels - Bad Luck, or Bad Quality?

I've been using Sullivan tailwheels on nearly all my taildraggers for quite some time now. 2 nights ago, I had my 4* 60 out, and had made several take offs and landings. For those who don't know, the 4* lands like a feather. Anyway, my last landing, I came in for a perfect 3 point, and the dang spring snapped right at the nylon base!

I came home, and robbed another set off of my Super Sportster. Went out last night, and almost exactly the same thing! Perfect, soft 3 point, and the spring snaps in the exact same place! I have one tailwheel left, and when I got home, I started flexing it like it would flex on a landing. Looks normal. In fact, it looks like those tailwheels could take a hell of an impact. So I'm wondering if maybe they got a bad batch of wire? Anybody had similar experiences with Sullivan 60 size tailwheel assemblies?

I know Sullivan has an excellent quality record, and I love their fuel tanks. I bought a watter rudder for some floats once, and the plastic was of horrible quality, but that was the first time I've ever had anything bad happen with a Sullivan product...until two days ago.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:22 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.centralhobbies.com/landin...tailwheel.html

Look at this one. GO down to the Klett tailwheel assy. I really like this one. Use it all the time.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:22 PM
FLYBOY

Forgot to ask how you like all that smoke I sent up. Man is it bad or what!
Old 08-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Deadeye

No doubt, FLYBOY. I was gonna PM you and ask you to keep the smoke on your side the Divide. I hope your home is far away from the flames.

I do like those tailwheels, but I don't like the price. I just spent 15 minutes burning my fingertips soldering in a new chunk of wire. No spring, and not a very steep angle. Hopefully this will work. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:47 PM
FLYBOY

If that doesn't work, look at CBA tail wheel brackets. I use them too. They are a leaf spring type, but it seems they may be a little pricey too. I don't remember.

Shoot me your email I will send you a pic of the fire I was watching from my deck.

Shoot it to [email protected]

It is easier to send pics from that one.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:19 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

I've been using the Sullivan tailwheels for quite some time and haven't had a problem with any of them. Maybe some brittle wire or something.
Randy