Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Campground?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 07:44 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: RC Campground?

It would go over HUGE here in Florida, since this is one of the winter time destinations. We look for places to go where the flying fields allow camping too. Be prepared for night flying too!!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Flyerjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Here are a couple of thoughts.

1. Make sure you have lots of capital, great bathroom facilities for for kids and women. Have security because if there are women and children present you will attract predators.

2. You need to be the only decision maker because in my experience with locations similar in scope you have lots of people who want to run the show.

3.The actual layout will work itself out and as long as there hotels close by, camping amenities, access to food and health care then you pretty much have it locked.

4. Advertise the site in mags, social sites, and websites.

Good luck

Nubbs
Old 09-05-2011, 08:31 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I think it is tough to start out 'small'.
If you want people to have a great experience, you have to offer some great service. Then they will come back and bring friends.
Also it is a great idea to get talk to some vendors and get help sponsoring some events, fly inns, competitions, swap meets help them sell their
products and make your place popular.
Also there should be a hobby shop close by or you could sell some supplies. You can start a small shop with fuel, glow plugs, small parts.
If you find the right place, this idea will be a success.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Mike06659

Not to discourage you but my buddy just opened a campground and he said "Never again" It's a great idea and he will eventually make some money back but after the county/state got through with him with all the permits and laws he needed to follow I bet he's in the hole a million and this is a guy that has all the equipment to do the job. It's crazy because it's in the middle of no where up here in PA but it seems you can't create anything these days without paying through the nose.
Either way good luck and thank you for your service.
Mike
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

My wife and I have toyed with the idea of buying a KOA or similar a couple of times. Our research indicates that you would want to put an RV park of any kind in a "destination" area, that is, where people go because there is a lot to do in the local area, which causes them to stay for more than one night. The R/C idea is interesting, but you would have to cater to all RVer's. Premium amenities are essential, such as cable TV, paved roads and pull thrus, pool, club house, and so on. Aside from the staggering investment and associated risk, what really turned us away was the seven day a week work schedule. Nights too. Don't think for a minute a "manager" will handle a property like you would.... be prepared to run a full time business on part time wages for several years until the note is paid down. You might say the RV Park business is like the hobby business. In order to make a million dollars, you start with two million . I decided to become a psychologist instead. My two cents.

Mike
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Well, the location is the key. I live close to Wisconsin Dells, a whole town like an amusement park. Shows, rides, water parks, just all kind of entertainment. Hotels are expensive, but busy all summer and so are the campgrounds.
Not sure what the rates are, but they make lots of money.
Most of the town shuts down for the winter and almost all of the business owners spend the season in Florida and relax from the hard work in the summer .
When the gas prices hit $4.50 and the dam on the lake broke, everything was flooded, they had a 'bad year'. But it did not take them long to recover.
So a campground where you can fly RC planes - sounds great. And there are lots of RC pilots in the greater area. We are right between Chicago and Minneapolis.
Dad can fly RC planes while the family goes shopping or swimming. And later you go watch a show or go to a fancy restaurant or just sit by the campfire. The perfect getaway weekend with fun for everyone.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Be sure to check the local weather service wherever you want to set up as they can tell you the prevailing wind conditions at different times of the year. Might be a factor in finally deciding.
sp
Old 09-05-2011, 03:30 PM
lt-40 flier
My Feedback: (1)

It seems to me what gets RCers away from their home field is big events. They want to camp at these events to visit with friends developed over the years. Here in the east Joe Nall, SEEF, E-Jets, Kentucky Jets, and Huckfest are a few of the events which get people to travel long distances.

It might work if the campers buy there own lots, like a condo.......... They could form the organization to promote the flying site.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go to georgia numerous times a year. My son is based at Ft Benning. I would love to have a park like that to stay at. There is one in Georgia already. It's Goergia Veterans State Park inCordele, Georgia but it's not set up to well. I don't think the park was built for Rc,ers they just are allowed to use it. And the runway is not very friendly, TREE'S.
But like mentioned before as just a park for us to go to too camp and fly probably not. The biggest reason to me is what I already do, and thats call a local field to see if I can fly. Spent four week's traveling around the east half of the US and everywhere we camped a local club was glad to let me fly.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for Florida, I can see a large market for such a place west of Orlando. There are several major events held around here annually that could benefit from a nice field.  Research the area and events and you will see, that's all Im saying.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

A local Club just opened a new runway at the Lorain County AMVETS property,, a couple members are Vets and members of both,, Looks like a great fit so far. They have camping, fishing, a clubs house with a bar etc,,, and this year a RC field,, makes me wish I was a Vet. I might be joining that club too, because they have a small field very near my house as well as the bigger new field that great for afternoon flying (My club's flight line faces west so it sucks in the afternoon)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rm911medic

I am looking at Georgia, Texas, and Missouri.
Texas would be either north of Houston, near Lake Conroe, or North of San Antonio I like North of Houston, but it is a bit off the beaten path, same for San Antonio, but there are a lot of attractions in and around San Antonio, including night life, Theme Park, Hill Country, and some of the best BBQ around (Salt Lick) outside of Austin. Problem is, that those areas are not on or even close to a major east/west corridor such as I-80
Missiouri would be between Springfield and St. Louis, which puts it in a position to attract a lot of business from multiple cities that are 10 hours away or less.
I am not sure about Georgia yet, and that would be more determined by where my wifes career takes her.
I am looking at two years to purchase the property which gives me plenty of time for research, unless I find the perfect spot in which case I would buy sooner.
The park will have all RC activities, starting with planes and cars and then have the availability for boats. It's easier to make a three foot deep landing strip from sealed concrete than run a man made lake.
As far as the camping section goes, I would probably start small and work up from there as first paved sites, then full service hookups. The idea would be that the camping areas would have noise blocks using various trees or fast growing bush's to not only help block noise, but keep someone's lipo/gas giant scale from going through someones 250k Class A. AMA would be required, simply because the liability would be to great for a park as well as an RC field. I am talking with people that own campgrounds now to find out information on that side of the operation, and may run for club president so I can get more insight into running an RC airfield. We have our own with a lease from the county.
The park only needs to sustain itself, it does not need to make a ton of money, so that is a help. I don't think I would do it if I was trying to get rich and retire off of it.
Missouri Please !

Our club will come.

I am 50 miles from Springfield.

Tim

Old 09-05-2011, 09:06 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

If you were to consider Missouri as one of your possibilities, think about the Branson/Silver Dollar City area. Both are places that draw folks from all over the US. Land is cheap if you get out of the immediate area a few miles. Springfield is just north and it is the fastest growing city in Missouri. Kansas City is a bit farther north but an easy drive. St. Louis is north east on I44 about 150 miles. Major fishing lakes surround the area and the White River virtually runs through it. The White River is one of the top 10 trout rivers in the US. The point is that if you are looking for an area that is not densely populated but draws people from all over, this is it. You would be one more reason to come to the area. By the way, the most beautiful airport I have ever seen is at Branson (Hollister, actually) and Springfield has a major airport as well. It's either that or build it next to a Walmart to please the ladies and kiddies.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:48 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I know that I wouldn't travel to Georgia or Missori to camp and fly.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:47 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Save your money. As much as all of us would love for there to be a nice flying field on every corner, you are destined to lose your investment big time. The current economy does NOT and WILLNOT support recreational hobbies in such a manner to where you would EVER recover your initial investment much less make a profit. Hobby shops are dying, memberships to flying clubsare decreasing, and you are dealing with a weather related business subject to more than just economical woes. You are asking the wrong arena for opinions by inquiring here. Of course we want you to spend all your hard earned money and open up a nice field we might come to a couple of times a year! Ask that franchise owner of a fast food chain if he thinks you should buy a fast food business and of couse he's going to say YES, (just before he tries to dump his failing business on you).
You would be better off making 2% in a CD than hoping that 25 (say 50)people a week would come and spend the night at a full service RC park and what are they going to pay?

Do the math! You get lucky and have 50 room rentalsa week @ $50.00 a night. $2,500.00 GROSS and then you payWAHZOO taxes to the State for hotel ownership, utilities, taxes, and you get to clean and do laundry. You MIGHTnet 20% if you like to wash and fold linen? And you're every weekend (and maybe EVERYday of the year) is married to the place?
If you want a cozy little farm in Georgia, Missouri, Texas that you can retire on, buy yourself one. Take your extra money and contract with an AMA club and let them pay the way to build a nice paved runway or fly in your favorite bass pond that you can use unconditionally.

Obviously I vote against your spending your life savings on something which won't return a profit. I've been self employed for 30 years. It's a second marriage and thankGod Ihave the right wife that stands behind me and understands the 60 hours a week then try to sneak in some quick flying on weekends. We're surving because I work my buttox off and that's the only reason in this current economy.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM
rbean2
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

Save your money. As much as all of us would love for there to be a nice flying field on every corner, you are destined to lose your investment big time. The current economy does NOT and WILL NOT support recreational hobbies in such a manner to where you would EVER recover your initial investment much less make a profit. Hobby shops are dying, memberships to flying clubs are decreasing, and you are dealing with a weather related business subject to more than just economical woes. You are asking the wrong arena for opinions by inquiring here. Of course we want you to spend all your hard earned money and open up a nice field we might come to a couple of times a year! Ask that franchise owner of a fast food chain if he thinks you should buy a fast food business and of couse he's going to say YES, (just before he tries to dump his failing business on you).
You would be better off making 2% in a CD than hoping that 25 (say 50) people a week would come and spend the night at a full service RC park and what are they going to pay?

Do the math! You get lucky and have 50 room rentals a week @ $50.00 a night. $2,500.00 GROSS and then you pay WAHZOO taxes to the State for hotel ownership, utilities, taxes, and you get to clean and do laundry. You MIGHT net 20% if you like to wash and fold linen? And you're every weekend (and maybe EVERY day of the year) is married to the place?
If you want a cozy little farm in Georgia, Missouri, Texas that you can retire on, buy yourself one. Take your extra money and contract with an AMA club and let them pay the way to build a nice paved runway or fly in your favorite bass pond that you can use unconditionally.

Obviously I vote against your spending your life savings on something which won't return a profit. I've been self employed for 30 years. It's a second marriage and thank God I have the right wife that stands behind me and understands the 60 hours a week then try to sneak in some quick flying on weekends. We're surving because I work my buttox off and that's the only reason in this current economy.

WOW!!! If this man wants to try and do something he believes in, then who are you, we to try to shatter his dreams? I personally am self employed also and would love to only work 60 hours a week, but can't. 70 to 80 hours is closer, but if you want something bad enough, go for it and enjoy the ride, because nothing good EVER comes easy! Good luck on your endeavor and should I be lucky enough to hit a lottery jackpot, I might just find you here and go in this dream with you.

Richard
Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that pmerrit makes a lot of sense.

AFAIK, the only reason that Spiros (in Corfu) can make any sort of a living is because he lives in Greece and most of his clientele are Brits ... paying over the odds, in real terms. Even then, it's a barely-viable business; or so I'm told.

Still, it's a very attractive idea and would make a great "hobby". I fear that the campground would have to appeal to a much broader spectrum than "just" modellers, if it is to prosper. But, why should that be a problem?

Now I think about it, there was a place in the UK called Goosedale ... some 20 years back ... which was a dedicated modelling venue, comprising flying and a well-appointed modelling museum. Went there a couple of times to fly; though it was a hundred miles away. Went broke, I think. Perhaps another commentator will happen along with more details of Goosedale's demise.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
rebranger

There's a Yogi bear Campground out side Waller, Tx (about 20 mi NW of HOuston on 290) that would be an excellent place, out on the prarie, not too many rules & taxes,  Look up Northwest Houston RC club, not too far from them. I would think it needs to be in the deep south (warm) or AZ to attract the snow birds. I know I would use it! come Jan - Feb, book me for a month!
I'm in the rec business (horse ridin) ; it's VERY seasonal & weather related. Be prepared for that.
Know your target market!!! DO PLENTY of RESEARCH! Look at traffic maps. Check with C of C's, Gather as much data as you can & then some more!
Are your target customers  young or old?
 I would suspect the older retired crowd (55 to 75), cater to them, more $$, less hassel with kids & all.
An RV  campground is a a good business if it's located correctly. KOA has a good business model, but the franchise fee? Check with Good Sams