Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hustler Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Billmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hustler Engine Trouble

INFORMATION

I bought a Hustler 2 cycle engine gas boat used RTR. Rx/Tx work. Servos work. I think this model is an old model made by Hobbico. Mixed 40:1 fuel and put the ethanol treatment in there to avoid issues with that b/c of the 10% fuel is ethanol 87 octane gas. It has a chainsaw engine in there, McCullough, and for some reason, it stalls under load in the water during acceleration. Not sure why.It seems to idle a little fast so Ineed to slow it down so the prop does not spin until higher RPM. Would prefer no prop spin until in the water and I'm away from that 2 bladed butcher knife, as I've seen the cut foot from an accident with one of those. When the engine dies, it just cuts off. It does not sputter. It's like someone shut off the spark plug. I put a new plug in there. Original fuel filter in there. For some reason, the original owner has a rubber pipe going from under the boat near the prop to a connection at the exhaust header to the engine. I'm guessing this is a water intake to cool the exhaust pipe as this is an air cooled engine.

QUESTION

Where can I find some kind of manual or information for tuning this 22cc engine? I am not sure which is the HSN and which is the LSN. I'm going to look over the manual again that came with the boat and see if there is anything in there about it. Yeah, I know, RTFM. What would cause an engine to die instantly under load at acceleration?

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this or not, so apologies if not the correct spot for this.

P.S.
I'm new at gas r/c boats, so there is a learning curve for me.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Billmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hustler Engine Trouble

UPDATE

The manual indicates the LSN is near the throttle shaft, so I'm one step closer. Thank goodness the former owner supplied the manual.