Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby King Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 PM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hobby King Experience

I am posting my ordering experience with Hobby King and their customer service agent "IVY". After hearing many good things I figured I'd give them a try.
On 9/14 I tried to order two radios. I had to create an account and when I did I was kicked out of the system. When I logged back in, the item price went up about $1 each. No big deal. I completed the ordering process again with no problems. Now today I open a chat session with "IVY" to find out where my order is. Turns out my payment was collected on 9/14, shipping info was sent to USPS on 9/19, and the order was received by USPS on 9/21. This is 7 days after collecting payment. After completing the second order, I got two emails. Turns out that the first order was still in the queue. Well the second order had been completed and paid for. They also charge a credit card fee. The extra 2 bucks was no big deal. During my conversation with "IVY", we went back and forth over the details of the order. She says one thing but I still have my emails saying different. I had to repeat myself many times as it seems that she was "going through the motions" with me. This process took over 60 minutes. I have the dated emails saved just for this reason. She also kept asking why I didn't cancel the second order due to the price difference. After explaining several times that the extra $2 was not worth the effort and that my ONLY reason for contacting Hobby King was to find out where my order was. I brought up the price issue more to show the issues I was having with them. I am very unsatisfied with their shipping time frame and also their customer service chat agent "IVY" . Unfortunately she terminated the chat and wiped dialog before I could copy and paste it into MS Word. My plan was to post the complete chat so that everyone could read it and see for themselves. I didn't want anyone to think I was embellishing my experience. Now I just have to wait for my order. These radios will have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread for me to order from them again.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM
bdtsr

Default RE: Hobby King Experience

Here is a follow up chat with "Cheryl:
You are now chatting with : Cheryl (Customer Service)
Cheryl: Thank you for contacting the HobbyKing Support Team. How may I help you?
You: Hello. I chatted with "IVY" for over 60 minutes earlier this evening. The end result was not good. I will copy below what I just posted on a hobby forum about my Hobby King experience. Please forward it to your customer service supervisor for their review.

You: I am posting my ordering experience with Hobby King and their customer service agent "IVY". After hearing many good things I figured I'd give them a try.
On 9/14 I tried to order two radios. I had to create an account and when I did I was kicked out of the system. When I logged back in, the item price went up about $1 each. No big deal. I completed the ordering process again with no problems. Now today I open a chat session with "IVY" to find out where my order is. Turns out my payment was collected on 9/14, shipping info was sent to USPS on 9/19, and the order was received by USPS on 9/21. This is 7 days after collecting payment. After completing the second order, I got two emails. Turns out that the first order was still in the queue. Well the second order had been completed and paid for. They also charge a credit card fee. The extra 2 bucks was no big deal. During my conversation with "IVY", we went back and forth over the details of the order. She says one thing but I still have my emails saying different. I had to repeat myself many times as it seems that she was "going through the motions" with me. This process took over 60 minutes. I have the dated emails saved just for this reason. She also kept asking why I didn't cancel the second order due to the price difference. After explaining several times that the extra $2 was not worth the effort and that my ONLY reason for contacting Hobby King was to find out where my order was. I brought up the price issue more to show the issues I was having with them. I am very unsatisfied with their shipping time frame and also their customer service chat agent "IVY" . Unfortunately she terminated the chat and wiped dialog before I could copy and paste it into MS Word. My plan was to post the complete chat so that everyone could read it and see for themselves. I didn't want anyone to think I was embellishing my experience. Now I just have to wait for my order. These radios will have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread for me to order from them again.
You: order numbers are:
You: 2003192331 and 2003192360
Cheryl: Please kindly be advised that we have checked the order 2003192331, it shows canceled on our website.
You: Yes I know, I cancelled it.
Cheryl: Regarding the order 2003192360, it is posted on 18/9/2011 with USPS tracking number 9102010521297797281560.
Cheryl: For this shipping method, the transit time is 3-7 days.
You: The second order had been completed and I didn't want 4 radios only two.
You: Processed through Sort Facility
September 21, 2011, 7:04 am
FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003
Delivery Confirmationâ„¢

Accepted at origin sort facility
September 21, 2011, 7:04 am
FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003

Electronic Shipping Info Received
September 19, 2011

Here is the info off the USPS web site
You: Based upon this information from USPS and the dated emails I have, it took 7 days just to get my order to USPS. This was my only issue with Hobby King until I started getting the run around from "IVY".
Cheryl: Please kindly be advised that due to the order details, there are only the following items in it: 2x #HK-T6A-M2
Cheryl: We understand your concern for the parcel.
Cheryl: Please kindly check the following tracking details in USPS:
Cheryl: Label/Receipt Number: 9102 0105 2129 7797 2815 60
Class: Package Services
Service(s): Delivery Confirmationâ„¢

Your item was processed through our FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003 facility on September 21, 2011 at 7:04 am. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Cheryl: It shows the parcel is on the way to you.
You: I am VERY aware of the order details and what products are on the order. I also checked the USPS web site which is where I got the info as I listed above. I have the grave concern that this conversation is going the same way my conversation went with "IVY". Are the customer service staff related to "PEGGY" from the credit card commercial?
You: How come you are not listed as being online like the other customer service people? Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing IVY listed either.
Cheryl: Please kindly be advised that we have changed shift and it is Cheryl on duty at the moment.
You: Well it seems that this is another lost cause conversation with no reasonable conclusion therefore I am terminating it. Again please forward it to anyone who may have some influence on making your customer service department better. and I still see the same people list as "online"

"Cheryl" closed the chat just as "IVY" did. What a shame. They have great prices but crappy service.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You experience is typical, and it should be very clear why their prices are so low. You can pay extra for fast shipping if you want to, but those of us who order from Hobby King regularly generally just accept that it will take a month to get our stuff. That's the tradeoff of buying from the cheapest vendor. Their CSA's are brainless drones; don't expect them to do anything for you. Still, Hobby King is an honest company and generally delivers on its promises. If you want good service order from Tower and pay their prices.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 AM
bdtsr

The thing is, it took 7 days just to get my order ready to ship and this is in the USA warehouse. NO company is that busy. Actual shipping time is what it is.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I have watched with my orders from HK, if you pick the lowest cost shipping, it takes longer in the warehouse too. I watched my order sit there for 3 days at the warehouse. So if you ordered it on say a Wednesday, I could see it taking a week to be sent out.

My order, when it finally left HK, was never scanned or showed any movement until it showed up at my local post office. I was at the post office asking for them to track it and they brought in that days delivery. It was in there. She could not explain how it went so far without every being scanned. It had to go through at least four other postal facilities before getting to my local post office.

I do know speedy service is not there greatest asset.

Buzz.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

What likely happens is that they send out shipments once a week in order to be more efficient. It makes sense to me- pack one big truck and send it out. So if you order the day after they ship, it'll be a week again before they ship out again. They do offer an expedited service for those who want to pay for it but most of us don't.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:44 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

What likely happens is that they send out shipments once a week in order to be more efficient. It makes sense to me- pack one big truck and send it out. So if you order the day after they ship, it'll be a week again before they ship out again. They do offer an expedited service for those who want to pay for it but most of us don't.
Do you really think a company that size with that many orders only would ship once a week??? Not likely,, More likely they ship when the orders are filled and ready daily..

A more likely scenario is the item(s) are list as in stock, but are still in a container or on the loading dock, not actually shelved in the warehouse yet, They have to be on the shelf for the 'pickers" to fill the order.. I've had the same thing happen at Lowes/Home Depot/Walmart,, they show an item in stock, but may still be out back in the loading dock area,, not shelved yet. Just because it shown as in stock,, doesn't mean it available instantly

Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you saved a lot of money.

*sigh*
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Bill Vargas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all the good there is within this Great hobby,,, there is bound to be some not so good

BV
Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 PM
bdtsr

I'll just have to wait and see how the radios are. $74 for two 2.4ghz 6 channel radio systems I think is a good price. I know now going forward what to expect from Hobby King. If the product is good and the price is right, you plan around the shortcomings. We all get spoiled with good customer service. Would not be a good thing if I told a customer "Sorry I have not worked on your $100,000 boat yet. It's taken 7 days to get the parts from 20 feet away in our parts room".
Old 09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
scale only 4 me

So I see your radios came Monday,,
I placed an order of the 19th from the China warehouse,, it came today,, 10 days total from order to delivery
Old 09-29-2011, 06:06 PM
bdtsr

The were sitting on the step when I came home from work. Quality is no worse than any basic Futaba, Hitec or JR. Rx's bound quickly and everything works. Need to order programming cable so I will order a few other things as well from China. How was the shipping on your order?
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
scale only 4 me

I wasn't home, so I'll have to sign for it tomorrow at the post office,, shipping was what I expeted 10 days, Tomoorow we'llsee if the order is correct and all

edti,,
Picked it up this moring,, all looks fine
Old 09-30-2011, 11:45 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

You experience is typical, and it should be very clear why their prices are so low. You can pay extra for fast shipping if you want to, but those of us who order from Hobby King regularly generally just accept that it will take a month to get our stuff. That's the tradeoff of buying from the cheapest vendor. Their CSA's are brainless drones; don't expect them to do anything for you. Still, Hobby King is an honest company and generally delivers on its promises. If you want good service order from Tower and pay their prices.

That's right. They have low prices and no customer service. Oddly enough though, LowpriceRC and several others have simlar prices and excellent customer service. I don't thik the price has anything to do with it, I think they really just don't care once they have your money.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:54 AM
scale only 4 me

We many people complain about their poor customer service, when there is a problem,, so the must have some.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM
topspin

They definetly have a problem with customer service. There are very few complaints about other distributors and vendors on the various websites but there seem to be a dozen or more every week regarding Hobby City. There really is no excuse, they have the resources but they just don't seem to care. When all goes right they are great but when they mess up they really mess up and just leave the customer hanging. Maybe some day they will figure it out but until they do I buy from other sources that do a good job and treat me like a valued customer.