Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Man is Arrested for attempted Attack!

In the end, I think we'll be okay. I'm not convinced the black suvs are going to show up and start taking all my airplanes. Of course, we're also very lucky it was a foiled attempt, rather than a cleanup after the attack. Personally, I think the whole FPV/GPS sector of the hobby is a huge threat to our continued enjoyment of the way the pastime is meant to be enjoyed- line of sight, positive control. I have no idea why FPV has become so popular with people, but if we do lose the hobby, the blame can rest partially on the shoulders of that technology becoming so prevelant. All any of us can do is report suspect activity, learn to fly safely and away from bystanders, and be cautious when sellling used equipment.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:22 PM
dderst
My Feedback: (1)

I had a feeling it was only a matter of time before we heard about something like this, ever since that you-tube video of that guy with the park flyer flying around NYC.
1. the guns and grenades were for after the planes found there target. He and was going to get six accomplices and shoot people as they came out of the buildings. (per FOX NEWS)
2. the first report I saw this morning was showing turbine powered planes
3. he would not have to cause allot of damage he would just have to hit his intended target that's why it is called terrorism.
4. WHY is the AMA not getting out in front of this story ??????? They should be trying to get on every national news show possible.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

From the story I read the guy was basically being groomed by the FBI and when he got far enough and didnt stop on his own they arrested him. They gave non functioning AK's and C4/clay but I see that as them feeding into his plot to observe him. He rented a storage space in a false name to keep the plane he was preparing for the C4 payload. It's not clear when they decided to pull the plug on his plans but its clear to me from the report they just kept baiting him.

The news agencies are just as much to blame for sensationalising and fear mongering this story. The facts about this story contain a lot of other details but since it happened to involve an airplane, even if it was a model, they keyed in on it because of the similarity to 9/11. So what makes the headline.....the planned attack using the plane.

As everyone before has stated it takes a lot to learn and fly these models with any sort of skill and stay out of trouble at your local field. It takes a little more to add to them all this FPV UAV type equipment and fly safely. Then it takes even more to weaponize a plane and have a one off model work perfectly the very first time. Its pretty far fetched that this guy would have succeded and the best we could hope for is that it would blow up when he armed and just take himeself out.

Im all for technology and getting to be able to use this stuff as we like to a degree but in all seriousness FVP/UAV and related technologies to promote the operation of a radio controlled vehicle beyond visual range should be restricted to authorized trained individuals for professional purposes. This is very serious business and the technology is readily available off the shelf and there are plenty of motivated individuals with agendas that have access to it.

I dont want some guys plane to fall on my house, lipo catches fire, burns my house down and the evidence of who he was or where it came from. Thats a very real possibility and one that is a bigger threat every day that this stuff goes on unregulated. These are the kind of issues that I can see spilling over and damaging our hobby and I like the rest of you have a lot of time and money invested in it that I want to protect.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well atleast they were on it !!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

Personally, I think the whole FPV/GPS sector of the hobby is a huge threat to our continued enjoyment of the way the pastime is meant to be enjoyed- line of sight, positive control. I have no idea why FPV has become so popular with people, but if we do lose the hobby, the blame can rest SQUARELY XXpartiallyXX on the shoulders of that technology becoming so prevelant.
My feelings exactly. FPV is a huge threat to the model airplane hobby as it has been know for nearly a century.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

News outlets are ramping up the scare tactics:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/29/opinio...-plane-attack/

But this story seems better balanced:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...356115e73128ad
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Flak

OK, this guy is a terrorist, a coward, and a traitor. He wants to kill us. He got made and hanged himself with his own rope. I hope his devious acts don't cast a dark shadow on our hobby that we love so well. However, we must ALL be vigilant against this type of behavior, and report it when we know about it. I have met some outstanding folks in this hobby and on this board!
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Why does anyone believe anything the Media says? This is how Obama got into office.
Give it a rest. I could also counter that it is how we let GWB get us into TWO senseless wars.
Any time now we will find a WMD in Iraq, any time now...:-)

Gerry
Old 09-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Warbirdguy

ORIGINAL: mave311

he also had a turbine f-4 phantom....
Once again, guessing, and not facts. Read the report from FBI. It clearly states he ordered the F4's from www.Scalercmodels.com. If you go to that site and look the F4 up you will notice that it is a DF model flown with OS91 and dynamax fan.

I have flown that power system many times over the years and you had about a 30% chance it would run well enough to get off the ground. Then a 20% chance it would run long enough to even finish an 8 min flight.

It was NOT a turbine. It was a DF. I suspect also the F86 they sell was the F86 in question. That is my guess.

What I see from reading the report from the FBI is some Bin Laudin wanna be that al queda wouldnt deal with cause they knew he was a NUT JOB.

OR....like the statement that its awful funny that this happens on the heels of a proposed budget cut [X(] Also, taking some of the heat off the current administration for their fumbling of issues [X(]

Surely the FBI wouldnt set up some crazy person to take one for the country to get what they want...would they???? again [X(][X(]

WBG
Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

These extremists prove that you do not have to be smart to be dangerous. An alcoholic can drive s__t faced drunk and not even have a driver's license and in mass they kill thousands of innocent people every year. An estimated 75,000 alcohol related deaths due to drunk driving every year. That's 205 people every day! Latest estimates show that 8,000 ( see correction below ) people in this country die from gunshot wounds every year. That's 22 human deaths every day! There is a silent war going on in this country that the media never reports but let one single moron exploit a honest hobby and they ( the media ) will make it their #1 story. It is like a ship of fools with no rudder on a stormy sea.

I am sorry. My above stats are incorrect.

Some 30,000 ( not 8,000 as mentioned above ) people die each year from gunshot wounds. That is 82 deaths every day.

Please note that these statistics are for domestic USA related incidents only.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:45 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Did someone payed attention to the water mark on the picture ??

http://news.yahoo.com/feds-us-man-pl...210116487.html
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

Sorry, did multiple posts, deleted the first.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 PM
AllAfterburner

I knew everyone would get off of their rocking chairs to respond to this one. His plan never would have worked I think we all agree. You'd need a drone like the Army uses to pull off any kind of serious 911-esque incident. I actually consider this story good news. It shows the "real" jets are now so secure that these losers have to resort to model ones.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
allamericanflyer
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: allamericanflyer

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Why does anyone believe anything the Media says? This ishow Obama got into office.
Give it a rest. I could also counter that it is how we let GWB get us into TWO senseless wars.
Any time now we will find a WMD in Iraq, any time now...:-)

Gerry
I knowthat you're probablyreffering to we as the United States,however, I'm sorry I stillhave to ask. "WE", are you currently or have you in the past served in the Armed Forces? If yes then I thank you for your service...please desregard the rest. If not then I have this to say. The Armed Forces is not you local sports team where you can interject yourself in and feel "part of the team." Men and Women on a DAILY basisare upholding the fundemental structure of our great country and sadly at times paying the ultimate price. I would appreciate as being one of those people if you didn't.

Thank you.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

Really? How much damage could the guy do, even if it was loaded with C4? Where would he take off from? How much range would he have fully loaded? What it the payload capacity of an R/C turbine phantom jet? Do the so called journalists at Fox even know how to ask questions?

Epic Fail.
Which journalists do you recommend as paragons of accuracy? MSNBC, perhaps?

jess
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM
STOKEY

I JUST RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL TODAY FROM TOWER HOBBIES!!!

Urgent Notice - Your Immediate Action Is Needed
Send Your E-Mail By October 10
Help preserve your rights regarding hobby materials

Dear Tower Hobbies Customer,

Many people are concerned with new government regulations that are designed to limit our hobby industry. You've probably heard about the new FAA regulations limiting our use of R/C airplanes and proposed shipping bans for R/C batteries.

New regulations are being considered regarding model rocket motors. This may not immediately impact your particular hobby but it's just another step toward regulation of materials used in hobbies and deserves your attention.

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has recently advised that they propose to terminate a special permit under which model rocket motors and igniters have been shipped for the last 33 years. If the permit is terminated model rocket motors and igniters will no longer be able to be shipped as "Flammable Solids" and will instead have to be shipped as "Explosives."

In 33 years there have been no incidents involved in the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters.

Hobbyists need your support. Attached is a sample e-mail that we request you send immediately to express your support.

We believe that shipping model rocket motors and igniters as "Explosives" would only cause unnecessary concern for hobby shops, educators, youth group leaders and families using model rockets for educational and recreational purposes.

If you believe as we do, please send an e-mail to the Department of Transportation no later than October 10, 2011.

To assist you, here is a sample e-mail:

TO: [email protected]
Subject: DOT-SP 7887 Show Cause Response

Dear Associate Administrator,

The purpose of this e-mail is to request that DOT-SP 7887 be kept in force as written. The Special Permit, previously DOT-E 7887 has been in place since 1978 and is used by many of us who enjoy hobbies including model rockets, motors and igniters.

To my knowledge, there has never been an incident involving the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters. Further I believe that shipping these products as "Explosives" will create unnecessary fear and difficulty for those handling, transporting, receiving, storing, selling and using these products.

After 33 years of use, the termination of the Special Permit is unwarranted and possibly damaging to an educational and recreational product that has an excellent record. In closing, I again request the Special Permit be kept in place as written.

- Your Name and Address

Please take a few minutes to send your e-mail today.
Thank you very much for your support of model rocket hobbyists.
-Tower Hobbies

Visit the Tower Hobbies World Wide Web site for all the latest radio-control kits, accessories and tools. Tower Hobbies has the world's largest selection of R/C products and accessories available at your fingertips 24 hours a day.

Place your next Tower Hobbies order now and save.

Make sure you continue to get all our great email deals. Add [email protected] to your address book or contact list today.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM
stick
My Feedback: (14)

http://news.yahoo.com/could-model-ai...214956090.html

This is a better story.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:02 PM
scubajohn

ORIGINAL: STOKEY

Many people are concerned with new government regulations that are designed to limit our hobby industry. You've probably heard about the new FAA regulations limiting our use of R/C airplanes and proposed shipping bans for R/C batteries.

New regulations are being considered regarding model rocket motors. This may not immediately impact your particular hobby but it's just another step toward regulation of materials used in hobbies and deserves your attention.

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has recently advised that they propose to terminate a special permit under which model rocket motors and igniters have been shipped for the last 33 years. If the permit is terminated model rocket motors and igniters will no longer be able to be shipped as "Flammable Solids" and will instead have to be shipped as "Explosives."

In 33 years there have been no incidents involved in the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters.

Hobbyists need your support. Attached is a sample e-mail that we request you send immediately to express your support.

We believe that shipping model rocket motors and igniters as "Explosives" would only cause unnecessary concern for hobby shops, educators, youth group leaders and families using model rockets for educational and recreational purposes.

If you believe as we do, please send an e-mail to the Department of Transportation no later than October 10, 2011.

The purpose of this e-mail is to request that DOT-SP 7887 be kept in force as written. The Special Permit, previously DOT-E 7887 has been in place since 1978 and is used by many of us who enjoy hobbies including model rockets, motors and igniters.

To my knowledge, there has never been an incident involving the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters. Further I believe that shipping these products as "Explosives" will create unnecessary fear and difficulty for those handling, transporting, receiving, storing, selling and using these products.

After 33 years of use, the termination of the Special Permit is unwarranted and possibly damaging to an educational and recreational product that has an excellent record. In closing, I again request the Special Permit be kept in place as written.

- Your Name and Address

-Tower Hobbies

Visit the Tower Hobbies World Wide Web site for all the latest radio-control kits, accessories and tools. Tower Hobbies has the world's largest selection of R/C products and accessories available at your fingertips 24 hours a day.

Make sure you continue to get all our great email deals. Add [email protected] to your address book or contact list today.

looks like spam to me imho
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
jet22b

ORIGINAL: STOKEY

The US Department of Transportation (DOT) has recently advised that they propose to terminate a special permit under which model rocket motors and igniters have been shipped for the last 33 years. If the permit is terminated model rocket motors and igniters will no longer be able to be shipped as ''Flammable Solids'' and will instead have to be shipped as ''Explosives.''

We believe that shipping model rocket motors and igniters as ''Explosives'' would only cause unnecessary concern for hobby shops, educators, youth group leaders and families using model rockets for educational and recreational purposes.

To my knowledge, there has never been an incident involving the shipping and transporting of model rocket motors and igniters. Further I believe that shipping these products as ''Explosives'' will create unnecessary fear and difficulty for those handling, transporting, receiving, storing, selling and using these products.

- Your Name and Address

-Tower Hobbies

I receive the same e-mail too!! If they do this to model rocket, than we are next!!!!
Sonny
aka
jet22b
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM
scubajohn

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

From the story I read the guy was basically being groomed by the FBI and when he got far enough and didnt stop on his own they arrested him. They gave non functioning AK's and C4/clay but I see that as them feeding into his plot to observe him. He rented a storage space in a false name to keep the plane he was preparing for the C4 payload. It's not clear when they decided to pull the plug on his plans but its clear to me from the report they just kept baiting him.

The news agencies are just as much to blame for sensationalising and fear mongering this story. The facts about this story contain a lot of other details but since it happened to involve an airplane, even if it was a model, they keyed in on it because of the similarity to 9/11. So what makes the headline.....the planned attack using the plane.

As everyone before has stated it takes a lot to learn and fly these models with any sort of skill and stay out of trouble at your local field. It takes a little more to add to them all this FPV UAV type equipment and fly safely. Then it takes even more to weaponize a plane and have a one off model work perfectly the very first time. Its pretty far fetched that this guy would have succeded and the best we could hope for is that it would blow up when he armed and just take himeself out.

Im all for technology and getting to be able to use this stuff as we like to a degree but in all seriousness FVP/UAV and related technologies to promote the operation of a radio controlled vehicle beyond visual range should be restricted to authorized trained individuals for professional purposes. This is very serious business and the technology is readily available off the shelf and there are plenty of motivated individuals with agendas that have access to it.

I dont want some guys plane to fall on my house, lipo catches fire, burns my house down and the evidence of who he was or where it came from. Thats a very real possibility and one that is a bigger threat every day that this stuff goes on unregulated. These are the kind of issues that I can see spilling over and damaging our hobby and I like the rest of you have a lot of time and money invested in it that I want to protect.
and you know this would be tererisom or a act of war and your insurance wont pay but thats another story
Old 09-29-2011, 07:23 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jessiej

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

Really? How much damage could the guy do, even if it was loaded with C4? Where would he take off from? How much range would he have fully loaded? What it the payload capacity of an R/C turbine phantom jet? Do the so called journalists at Fox even know how to ask questions?

Epic Fail.
Which journalists do you recommend as paragons of accuracy? MSNBC, perhaps?

jess
You tell me. Walter Cronkite was spinning over the sad state of American journalism before he made it to the grave.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: Flak

OK, this guy is a terrorist, a coward, and a traitor. He wants to kill us. He got made and hanged himself with his own rope. I hope his devious acts don't cast a dark shadow on our hobby that we love so well. However, we must ALL be vigilant against this type of behavior, and report it when we know about it. I have met some outstanding folks in this hobby and on this board!

a little racial profiling wouldnt hurt either...i dont care what anyone else says...
Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
rc18junky

the feds announced a new law will be passed that if you have a criminal record from dwi to armed robbery you will be banned from flying model aircraft over 5 pounds. and any one wanting to fly one will have to get a government issued licenses and a back ground check. also will not be allowed to fly 25 miles from any government buildings with fines from 2000.00 to 25.000 ouch.............................................. ........
Old 09-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Silent-AV8R

Rubbish. FIrst, they cannot act that quickly, but nice troll. Here's some actual factual statements:

Massachusetts prosecutor Gerry Leone, who handled the prosecution of would-be shoe bomber Richard Reid, said terrorists are always building bombs out of common, legitimate items, and imposing restrictions on buying model aircraft would not make sense simply because of this one case.

But he said law enforcement might want be more vigilant about such purchases.

Similarly, Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., chairman of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, said recent advances in model airplane technology could make them more attractive to terrorists. But he said the answer is better intelligence, not trying to regulate hobbyists and their toys.

http://news.yahoo.com/could-model-ai...214956090.html
Old 09-30-2011, 02:35 AM
lez1troubles

I can'nt even understand WHY it made the news. Shorly the F.B.I could just let the guy disapear in a clowd of pink spray and say he had an accident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.