Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Considering opening an indoor offroad track

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Considering opening an indoor offroad track

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:28 AM
MACerone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering opening an indoor offroad track

I hope I posted in the right place?

I'm calling out to current owners and past owners of this business. I have one strong push left in me to build my own business. I've decided to investigate this one as a possibility because, though I make a good living, I have never been satisfied in my professional life. I want to try making a living at something I love, in an environment I enjoy.

I've been doing some calculations, and I've been admittedly conservative, however, even if I boost my estimates to moderate, I'm still falling thousands short of even "breaking even" per month.

There are so many tracks around the country that have been at it for years. I'm clearly missing something in my calcs, I need some help here from anyone who will give it.

I'm very serious about this, so much so that I don't want to disclose the location until I have a thorough understanding of the business model. I will say this though, it's California and not within 60 miles of any existing track, so never fear me trying to move in on someone else's territory.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Default RE: Considering opening an indoor offroad track

ORIGINAL: MACerone

it's California and not within 60 miles of any existing track, so never fear me trying to move in on someone else's territory.Thanks in advance

Don't be concerned about that, we live in a market economy and if you can do it better and cheaper than the competition, let them fall.

The question is will there be enough drivers in your area to support the track.

My local hobby shop (closed, RIP) had a out door off road track and sold airplanes, helis, R/C cars, etc. The guys who ran the store told me the R/C car, buggy, truck sales were what brought in the most money by far. I am a plane guy, and we are cheap skates...........
Old 07-09-2011, 12:04 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're sixty miles from the nearest track then chances are whatever you put down will get used. Such a situation is why I've never been to a track, I have to go fifty miles one way just to get there.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM
carrellh

Contact Mike at http://www.mikeshobbyshop.com in Carrollton TX. He has indoor tracks for on-road and off-road. Since he's several states away he shouldn't have issues with talking about the business.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:14 PM
MACerone

Thank you for the responses, I'm still digging for info, I've prepared a letter to send out to 10's of tracks around the country. I'm just in the middle of formatting it now.

By the way, It's my intent to ultimately close these probing forum threads when I've made a decision, so If you see this thread in a month or 3, and I haven't posted: "Done gathering info", that means I'm still searching, hoping you guys will contribute to my information pool.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:38 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 378

If you're sixty miles from the nearest track then chances are whatever you put down will get used. Such a situation is why I've never been to a track, I have to go fifty miles one way just to get there.
If you don't mind the drive, there's a track in Meredianville, AL called RC Hobbies-http://www.rchobbybarn.com/We just got a new layout, and it's 1/10 friendly, as well as 1/8 friendly.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:22 AM
MACerone

Done gathering info(For now)

It's unlikely I'll open anything in the short term, this thread has run it's course. Thanks to all that responded.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:36 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: collector1231

ORIGINAL: 378

If you don't mind the drive, there's a track in Meredianville, AL called RC Hobbies-http://www.rchobbybarn.com/ We just got a new layout, and it's 1/10 friendly, as well as 1/8 friendly.
I know it's a bit late, but that'd be silly. The 15MPG I get would mean I'd spend enough in fuel costs driving from the outskirts of Lebanon to Meredianville, Alabama to buy myself a shiny new engine for my monster truck.

Not happening.