Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Im new need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 PM
jericko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im new need help

hello everyone im very considering getting into rc stuff my main interest is boats, and flight ( more of a heli, or osprey type) but im kinda short on cash and was wondering a few things. iv looked around and noticed that initial investment is a bit pricy and im good with that..

what type of remote control is the best? i found this one and it looked like a good one but i dont know im just begining Fs-Th9x and im wanting to make/design my own planes using balsa wood or foam board. or a combination of the two to keep things simple as i am just starting out plus i want to be crafty so im going to build my own.. are there any good reads about making your own planes like what electronical stuff ill need types of materials to use.. etc?

if you could help me out with any advise much appreciated.

thanks.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:45 AM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Im new need help

Since you're in Goldsboro, look up the ECRC club there.  I'm sure they would be very happy to help you in getting started.

Tell them I sent you too.

http://ecrcflyers.com/

Old 10-21-2011, 06:07 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The what kind of radio is best question is like which is best, Ford or Chevy. You need to get a radio that suits your needs. As mentioned, head out to the club in your area and talk with them They may have an instructor program that uses one brand of radio and you would want one that is compatable with them so you can buddy box with them. As for the type of airplane you want to build, once again you need to start with a trainer type plane and then progress into what you want to design and build. An Osprey would be neat, but I do not beleive it would be a good first airplane to learn on. I personally fly Futaba radios. I have flown them for years as I like the way they feel and I have had very few problems with them in the 30 plus years of flying them. You would want to start out with at least a 4 channel radio. You may also want to consider a radio with more channels which would allow for growth in the years to come. You will want to get one on the 2.4 frequency as this is the latest for all brands of radios. There are still alot of radios in use that use the old 72 frequency that are working just fine, but I have a hunch that in the not to distant future support for them will disappear. At any rate, welcome to RCU and surf the forums as there is a mountain of good information in them and Good Luck, Dave

PS> Check out the first five or six threads in the Beginers forum in RC Planes....
Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A V-22 Osprey is very ambitious, to say the least. I'm not trying to chill your enthusiasm, but such a plane is challenging for even a well-funded manufacturer. Do a search, there are a couple of small electric Ospreys out that may help. Best to get a trainer and join a local club as already noted. You'll make many new friends too!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep, don't try to get creative on your first plane. The beaten path will work to get you competent as a pilot, then you can design and build to your heart's content. I'd stay away from the cheap transmitters though. The big 4 all make reliable products that you can trust (in no particular order): Futaba, Airtronics, Spektrum, and Hitec. A 6 channel computer radio in 2.4ghz (they all make one) is enough to do years of development in the hobby with.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:52 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about JR?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:24 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

JR makes a great radio, just ask anyone that use's one. Once again, it is just a matter of personal choice. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Spektrum and JR are the same technology. Spektrum is the lower end radios and JR is the higher end. He was looking at beginner level equipment so I didn't figure it was worthwhile to recommend a 9503 as good as they are.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:14 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are interested in reading about building, be sure to check out the website www.airfieldmodels.com by Paul Johnson. Lots of good reading there. I agree with what everyone else is saying about radios. It often comes down to what is most comfortable for you. All the major radio manufacturers put out good radios. Futaba and JR have offerings oriented to the advanced flyers. Hitec and Spectrum cater more to the entry and mid level sport flyers. I've owned Futaba, Hitec, and Spectrum radios and have been happy with all of them. I currently am using a Spektrum DX7, but may upgrade in about a year or two. Again I agree with the advice of contacting a local club. Many will offer intruction, and most members will be happy to help you become better aquainted with what they use.

Scott