Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Advice on Entry Level Associated Product

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Advice on Entry Level Associated Product

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM
jonmikels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Entry Level Associated Product

Hello guys. I loved my RC10 when I was around 17-19 years old in the 80's. I moved to full-size cars and now I'm 40 with a 5 year old boy. He'd go nuts if I got him a realistic RC car for Christmas. I want to get him something that's good quality, involves building, and can be modified with a supportive aftermarket. Suggestions?

A two wheel drive is fine and I really liked my Team Associated product so I'd feel good patroning them again but man they have so much to choose from these days I don't know where to start.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 AM
tommygun32

Default RE: Advice on Entry Level Associated Product

Hi and welcome to the big and wonderful world of RCU jonmikels.

You've sort of posted a 'terrestrial' based question in the 'high flying' section of these forums.

I recommend posting your question here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_179/tt.htm

You'll probably get a few more responses in that section.

Good luck and again, welcome.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:36 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonmikels

Hello guys. I loved my RC10 when I was around 17-19 years old in the 80's. I moved to full-size cars and now I'm 40 with a 5 year old boy. He'd go nuts if I got him a realistic RC car for Christmas. I want to get him something that's good quality, involves building, and can be modified with a supportive aftermarket. Suggestions?

A two wheel drive is fine and I really liked my Team Associated product so I'd feel good patroning them again but man they have so much to choose from these days I don't know where to start.

Thanks,
Jon

Jon,
Associated is still top quality,, get him a SC-10, it's what the RC10 has morphed into over the years,, he'd have a blast with it and there are tons of parts and hop ups available

have fun
Old 11-03-2011, 08:54 AM
jonmikels

Thanks guys. Yes, I see how that could be interpreted as some kind of pathetic underhanded pre-christmas marketing-driven phony question. But no, I'm just a regular old dad in Nevada that wants to get my son into mechanical things and this is where I started.

Thank you, I'll check the SC10.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:10 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Naah, what Tommygun is saying is this section is mostly frequented by Airplane guys,, Car guys are over in the car section of RCU, and you'll get a lot more responses there, Some like me enjoy both
Old 11-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A good friend asked me the same question last Christmas for his 8 year old. I told him one of the 1/16 or 1/18 scale offerings would be a good bet. He picked up the Associated RC18MT, the mini version of the MGT. His son loves it and can actually pay for his own parts and such with his can collecting money. There's also the RC18T (truck) or RC18B (buggy) of those are more to your liking...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKCC2&P=7