Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FLYING BALONEY

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:39 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FLYING BALONEY

There seems to be a lot of misinformation being tossed adound on another site regarding two major spread spectrum radios on the market. The Futaba and Spektrum systems use direct spread modulation schemes and don't frequency hop. Frequency hopping is indirect spread spectrum, not direct spread and operates in a completely different way than direct spread. In the direct spread spectrum system a P/N code is mixed with the data stream in a phase shift modulator (sine of X/X). The resulting envelope is a carrier suppressed double sideband spread signal. When the P/N sequence is re-inserted in the de-spread correlator (an Exclusive Or) in the receiver the embedded P/N in the signal and the added P/N cancel and only the data is left. The signal de-spreads or, vector sums to one while signals that do not correlate are spread into the noise. That is what makes direct spread far less prone to jamming and data loss.

So I wish the numbskulls who clearly have no understanding of the process yet are tossing BS around about how they work would just be quiet. They are not educating anyone and are putting out false information.

John.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: FLYING BALONEY

That's what you get for going to OTHER rc sites
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

That's what you get for going to OTHER rc sites

You're right..
Old 11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
outdoorhunting

Yup, tried the rest & always come back to the BEST !!!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:39 AM
tommygun32

Ha! I was thinking this was going to be a thread about a tube (that looks like and is labled up like balogna) with stubby wings and a ducted fan or something....

Oh well....I'll keep dreaming about it then...[&:]
Old 11-11-2011, 12:20 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Ha! I was thinking this was going to be a thread about a tube (that looks like and is labled up like balogna) with stubby wings and a ducted fan or something....

Don't do that, build one and lets see what you come up with. I was actually goig to build a ducted fan plane using three plastic water bottles for the fuse. I might still do it.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's what Futaba has to say: http://www.futaba-rc.com/technology/fasst.html

If "continuous channel shifting" isn't frequency hopping (just another name for changing channels), then what is it? I think the OP has an error in their posting.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Oh, I don't know, I think the thread title is right on: it gives thr OP opportunity to expound on P/N sequence and sine of X/X and other such. Sounds about right to me.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
topspin

The Spektrum system which is what they were attempting to rag on uses direct P/N sequence spread spectrum. It occupies a bandwidth that is determined by the P/N rate. Fewer bits equals less bandwidth, more bits equals more bandwidth. The FASST system uses an indirect spread spectrum system and does frequency hop so it's instantaneous signal bandwith remains the same but the average bandwidth is again determined by the P/N (Chip) rate so yes, it does hop. These are two ways to accomplish the same thing but the modulation and demodulation technique and the signal output is very different. The indirect spread system hops randomly within a preset bandwidth so that statistically there is a lower probability that interference will be on every frequency. The output looks like a standard FM PCM signal that jumps around.

The direct spread system spreads the signal over a bandwidth determined by the data rate so that the data is in many places at once and looks like a very wide suppressed carrier double sideband signal. The data in each sideband (either side of the carrier null) is identical and thus the probability of interference is greatly reduced. Because each tranmitter generates a unique code it allows a great many systems to occupy the same bandwidth at once without interference. This is exactly the same system used by cell phones where each phone has a unique P/N enabling Code Division Multiplex (putting many phones in the same radio spectrum) such that you only hear the signal that corellates to your unique ID (P/N code).
Old 11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
CashD

ORIGINAL: topspin

There seems to be a lot of misinformation being tossed adound on another site regarding two major spread spectrum radios on the market. The Futaba and Spektrum systems use direct spread modulation schemes and don't frequency hop. Frequency hopping is indirect spread spectrum, not direct spread and operates in a completely different way than direct spread. In the direct spread spectrum system a P/N code is mixed with the data stream in a phase shift modulator (sine of X/X). The resulting envelope is a carrier suppressed double sideband spread signal. When the P/N sequence is re-inserted in the de-spread correlator (an Exclusive Or) in the receiver the embedded P/N in the signal and the added P/N cancel and only the data is left. The signal de-spreads or, vector sums to one while signals that do not correlate are spread into the noise. That is what makes direct spread far less prone to jamming and data loss.

So I wish the numbskulls who clearly have no understanding of the process yet are tossing BS around about how they work would just be quiet. They are not educating anyone and are putting out false information.

John.

The Spektrum system which is what they were attempting to rag on uses direct P/N sequence spread spectrum. It occupies a bandwidth that is determined by the P/N rate. Fewer bits equals less bandwidth, more bits equals more bandwidth. The FASST system uses an indirect spread spectrum system and does frequency hop so it's instantaneous signal bandwith remains the same but the average bandwidth is again determined by the P/N (Chip) rate so yes, it does hop. These are two ways to accomplish the same thing but the modulation and demodulation technique and the signal output is very different. The indirect spread system hops randomly within a preset bandwidth so that statistically there is a lower probability that interference will be on every frequency. The output looks like a standard FM PCM signal that jumps around.

The direct spread system spreads the signal over a bandwidth determined by the data rate so that the data is in many places at once and looks like a very wide suppressed carrier double sideband signal. The data in each sideband (either side of the carrier null) is identical and thus the probability of interference is greatly reduced. Because each tranmitter generates a unique code it allows a great many systems to occupy the same bandwidth at once without interference. This is exactly the same system used by cell phones where each phone has a unique P/N enabling Code Division Multiplex (putting many phones in the same radio spectrum) such that you only hear the signal that corellates to your unique ID (P/N code).

See the bolded portions of each post. Let us know when you decide which you really mean...
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: CashD

John.

See the bolded portions of each post. Let us know when you decide which you really mean...
I stand corrected on the Futaba system, it does hop. The Spektrum system does not.

FWIW, I was involved in the development of Spread Spectrum technology when I worked at the Harris Corp. in Florida. We developed both indirect and frequency hopping systems for the military back in the early to mid 1980s. When properly implemented direct sequence SS is a much better system than frequency hopping for several reasons especially immunity to inerference. That and the ability to implement CDMA is why the cell carriers all use it.

But yes, the Futaba does frequency hop. You happy now?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:13 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

There seems to be a lot of misinformation being tossed adound

The Futaba and Spektrum systems use direct spread modulation schemes and don't frequency hop.

Yep...there sure is
Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
CashD

But yes, the Futaba does frequency hop. You happy now?

I guess.

(thanks for the clarification)