Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Indoor Sports Dome flying

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:25 PM
SDR-Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indoor Sports Dome flying

I have clients that operate a driving range and are in the early construction phase of erecting a sports dome. They hope to have it completed by the end of the year.

They are very interested in indoor R/C and would very much like to include it as a regular event for the dome. When quizzed about it I was not much help, since I’ve never been and only had bits and pieces of information to pass along.

For those that do, or have done, this how does it work at your local sports dome?

Any links or articles would also be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2003, 12:53 PM
heli001
My Feedback: (5)

Default Coliseums and Arenas

SDR,

If you are talking about indoor competition for planes, maybe you could check with someone in the "1/2A" & "1/8A" planes & aircraft section or the Electric General Discussion section, as I am not familiar with the rules for indoor competition.

If you are talking about flying RC during OTHER events that are going on, such as RC blimps for advertising, I may have some information for you.

In either case, there are some insurance issues that would need to be resolved, I'm pretty sure that the AMA would cover the indoor competition in some fashion, but the facility may require additional insurance over and above the AMA. The advertising is a whole different insurance issue.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:42 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.marcee.org/HHHDomeFly.htm

There's plenty of flying that goes on in golf domes in the winter, but you've got to be somewhat restrictive on the type of model. I'd get in touch with any local electric flyers to gauge their interest.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:01 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's a link to where we fly in the winter. The problem is that winter slots are the hardest to get and we start out flying from 11:00 P.M. to 2:00 A.M. on a Sat. night. Later in the year it gets a little better and we fly from 10 to 2 at night. Each pilot pays $10 a night and after attendance slacked off they even started charging spectators. We started out with 50 pilots but dropped down to about 8 by the second year.

Our club took out supplimental site insurance and just last week we had an indoor rc scale contest (one of the first in the country?).

We fly in 20 minute slots; 20 min. for slow and free flighters, 20 min. for Zagi types. 15 Zagis in the air at the same time inside a dome is something to see :stupid:

http://iscenter.com/sitehtml/program...rental.html#RC Night Flys at the Dome

http://iscenter.com/sitehtml/program...#Scale%20Plane

http://iscenter.com/sitehtml/program...t%20the%20Dome
Old 08-24-2003, 11:20 AM
SDR-Hammer

Heli001, no competition just an activity where anybody with a small electric can pay a fee to fly indoors for a couple hours. There are enough clubs in our area for these guys to add indoor flying to their repertoire of activities during the winter months.

There is a sports dome several miles away that does this but I’ve never been. The couple pieces of information that I have about this particular one is…

- Flying takes place on a Saturday or Sunday night I believe between 9:00 pm and 1:00 am (a low period for bigger money dome activities)

- Flying alternates every fifteen minutes between electric R/C and free flight.

MikeL, thanks for the link. Flying in the Metrodome must be cool.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:37 AM
SDR-Hammer

Causeitflies, You posted while I was making my reply post. Thanks for the info. I could not get your links to work (Could be on my end, system has been acting funny lately).

I have a couple questions regarding just the Saturday night fly.

Is this totally organized by the dome operators or does your club rent the time and organize the activity?

Is AMA required for participants?

*Edit * Got the links to work I'll check them out further thanks!