Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Winter Flying Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Flying Manual

Let this thread be dedicated to all of the devices/clothing that keep us out flying in the winter, from chemical hand warmers to coats (create a "manual")
What helps keep you out of the house and enjoying the hobby?
Chemical hand warmers have been the ticket for me, but im thinking about trying the zippo hand warmer http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Outdoor-...1856156&sr=8-1
I may try running it on methanol for kicks, however a gallon of Coleman camp fuel (same thing as zippo lighter fluid) at walmart for 10 bucks should keep this thing going all winter long.
Another thing that helps is mechanix gloves, they work well when there is no wind, but wind goes right through them. Easy to use with a transmitter
http://www.amazon.com/Mechanix-MG-05...sr=1-1-catcorr

What do you use?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 AM
beepee

Default RE: Winter Flying Manual

First thing, Jimmy:

Decision - if you are spending too much time at the field and before flight thinking about staying warm, you might consider giving it a pass for the day. Past experience: the distraction of being cold can be distructive.

Good thread!

Bedford
Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried gloves that flip on/off of your fingers/thumb and I have a transmitter bag. I use the bag when it's bitter cold or snowing. Put one chemical warmer inside and it's great. Also have my 40 year old Johnny warmer in my coat running on Naphtha.
We also have a grill tank-top heater under the pavilion for the really cold days.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

a couple tips that I have learned over the years...

Layering is key, but not to the point of being restrictive. A coat that will deflect the wind is a must, otherwise it cuts right through you.

A hooded sweatshirt will keep the wind off your neck and back, much like a scarf, without the dangers of a scarf falling into a spinning prop.

I wear Mechanix Framer's gloves to fly, have several pairs and they are the best compromise I've found.

http://www.mechanix.com/hardware/cg-framer-glove

Keep the feet warm - wear good insulated boots.

Make a wind break for shelter. We have canopies up in the summer, but take them down in the fall. We'll take a tarp and make and "L" on the canopy frame to function as a wind break or shelter.

Have a propane torch or other source of heat handy for tempermental glow wngines.

Planes outfitted with skis should be kept off the snow until the skis acclimate to the outside temp. Otherwise the snow will melt and re-freeze on the skis....

Wax your skis

If flying off snow - STAY OFF THE FIELD! Nothing worse than plunging into some dolt's footprints while taking off or landing. If you have to go on the field to recover a stalled plane, bring a shovel and cover your tracks on the way back.

When on snow, fly only a truly reliable plane, otherwise you'll wreck the snow, see above.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:15 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But then you could just go somewhere warmer and not have to mess with all that stuff. lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-21-2011, 03:27 PM
jimmyjames213

ORIGINAL: beepee

First thing, Jimmy:

Decision - if you are spending too much time at the field and before flight thinking about staying warm, you might consider giving it a pass for the day. Past experience: the distraction of being cold can be distructive.

Good thread!

Bedford
I agree thats why i started the thread so i will find new ways of staying warm..... that way i can fly in <30 degree weather

one thing i forgot to add if a model needs some work done requireing small parts and screwdrivers.....simply dont fly that plane until it is warm or you fixed it in a warm place.
small parts+big gloves = lost parts.......small parts + no gloves= frozen hands
Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: red head

But then you could just go somewhere warmer and not have to mess with all that stuff. lol ENJOY !!! RED
Sorry Red, I like having four seasons, snow on occasion and bugs that hibernate or die in the winter....

Dealing with the cold is a small price to pay.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: red head

I just drove 2300 miles, great winter flying in so cal,, unfortunaly I have to fly back,, it'l be a quick 3 weeks
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just kidding about going where it's warm. ( sort of ) I know some can't and some don't want to . We used to live in Michigan and I did a lot of winter flying and really Enjoyed most of it .

I had a large van and we used to put a small heater in there and some coffee etc . and just go have fun. The nice thing about the van was that we could keep the planes inside and warm , then get in a quick flight and get back inside . With today's electrics it would be even easier .

I remember wearing my snowmobile garb's to keep warm, a stocking hat pulled way down and 2 or 3 different kinds of gloves. I liked the small brown work gloves best , I also used some space gloves that were OK , also the white welders ( ?? ) gloves were real good . The main thing was to stay warm, if you got cold once, it was all down hill from there. Brings back some real neat memories. I think the neatest memory was when a friend ( now passed ) and I managed to take off and land and taxi back ( on skies ) and NEVER break the thin snow crust we were flying from. We didn't even leave any boot marks away from the van for 3 flights . NEAT !!! That was a long time ago . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

I use to do a lot of winter flying when I first started. I tried a bunch of different things to keep my hands warm while I flew. The best thing I used was "jersey gloves". They are thick enough to keep my fingers warm during a single flight before they went numb, and thin enough to still feel the sticks. There use to be someone who sold a transmitter glove that fit over the entire radio that sounded warm. I haven't seen that advertised for a long time.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Pilotsmoe

I never flew from snow, it only lasts a few days around here. I don't wear any gloves, I'll just wait for a 55-60degree day(which isn't usually long)
Old 11-24-2011, 05:18 PM
eddieC

A Chilli Vest and electric socks are great. I haven't seen the Tx glove in quite a while, but one could be sewn together I suppose. Waxing the skis works well, as does cooking spray in a pinch.