The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

ARF's got me into this hobby

Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 AM
DanMN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ARF's got me into this hobby

If it weren't for ARF's, I wouldn't be enjoying this hobby. Anyone else?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 AM
MinnFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ARF's got me into this hobby

Without ARFs I would do more building, but I would still fly.

But ARFs sure do make it easy to get a plane in the air quickly!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:55 AM
flyallday

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 here. I will add that ARF's got me BACK into the hobby after being away for many years. I very much enjoy building but don't have the time. If not for ARF's, I would not be in the hobby at all.

Harry
Old 11-26-2011, 08:00 AM
DanMN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And I believe that most new people to that start in this hobby are into the quick in the air theory. Most people nowadays don't have the patience or time to build from scratch or kit. It is just the way it is. There are still people that enjoy the process of building from the start and that is great! With the cost of ARF and RTF trainers, I would buy an RTF anyday if I was new to the hobby. Granted, you don't get the quality equipment in an RTF usually, but you will spend half of what you would spend on putting together a kit and buying all the equipment separately. I bought about 6 ARFs before I decided that I wanted to build a kit. The kit was easy, a slowpoke. My son flies with me and it killed him to help put the kit together. It may have taught him some patience, but all he really wants to do is fly. I believe that ARF's have kept this hobby alive. Without them, LHS's would have a hard time existing.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:20 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ARF's are nice for the most part but you can't beat a stick built plane covered in silk&dope for durability and longevity. I have some I built in the early 80's that had a lot of use but still look and fly nice. I've had some ARF's used for a few years that really showed wear&tear and needed to be rebuilt.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:38 AM
DanMN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree that stick built planes are usually better built, depending on the builder and how experienced they are. I know my kits that I have put together have stronger airframes, etc, because I know how much glue and time I put into putting them together. I will say that I have a SIG Somethin Extra ARF that is built like a tank. One of the best ARFs I have as far as quality of build goes. All I am saying is that alot of people don't or don't think they have the time to put together kits. Usually, from what I have seen at our field, the person gets into this hobby because of their kids. Most 10 y/o's don't have the patience to watch dad work for 3 months to get a kit together. I think that ARFs and RTFs can help people get into the hobby quickly and then determine how they want to continue and what aspects of the hobby they like the best, ie; building, modding, flying, etc. Most of the people at our field use this hobby as a family affair.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:47 AM
Desertlakesflying

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bashing an ARF takes a whole lot of skill too.

I love ARF's wouldn't mind building a kit either, now that I have a better space for it since I set up a small "review" area in a spare room.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 AM
DanMN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to admit that my trunk plane is a PZ T-28. I modded it to make it a little more exciting, but for a quick stop at the field after work and a few quick flights to clear my mind, there is nothing easier. For me, it's the flying that I love. It's therapeutic for me. A stress reliever of sorts. When I am flying, nothing else is going on in my head but flying the plane. It's like going to my happy place.And if I crash that T-28, it takes me about 15 mins to get it back in the air. All I need at the field is a few batteries and some 6 min epoxy (for the quick repairs that can come up )
Old 11-26-2011, 09:07 AM
init4fun

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just like my post in the other ARF thread says , , , If ya havin fun , does it really matter WHERE the plane came from ????

Some buy em , , some build em , , But neither has a built in "fun percentage" , , , thats all up to the person twiddlin the sticks !!!!! [8D]
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 AM
DanMN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Exactly! It's when people say something ruined "my" hobby that I get a little perturbed. It's everyones hobby and not all people are the same. RTF, ARF, stick built, whatever. I will still stand by my statement that without ARFs, this hobby would die. There wouldnt be near the people involved in this hobby spending their hard earned cash, which allows manufacturers to spend money on R&D and come out with new products that make the hobby more fun.

Search this Thread