Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby King - Dispicable Service

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby King - Dispicable Service

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:21 AM
GTracing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King - Dispicable Service

I have ordered twice from HK. Didnt have any problems,but Im keeping my purchases under $100.I wont order anything big just in case.The only reason I ordered from them is because I dont have a local hobby shop.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:48 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

We are all individuals. What one believes, another may not. Last I checked, we are all adults that can make our own decisions. We are not a sworn brotherhood of R/C people. We did not promise solidarity when we joined the AMA or bought R/C equipment. This is not ''All for one, and one for all.''

Hobby King sells much of the named brand stuff at lower prices, and they sell identical stuff as named brands ... just without the label and at 40~ 60% less.

Every company has its fair share of customer service issues from time to time. It just seems obvious that there are several people who want to bring down HK, or berate and exaggerate the problem with Hobby King because of their own personal feelings. I agree that HK should replace a defective $4 servo (and other small dollar items) free of charge, or issue a credit rather than ask that the item be sent back. Maybe they do things differently because of their culture? Who knows? But doing business with a foreign company is different than dealing with a US company ... sometimes. For the amount of money saved, it's worth the small risk to me. About 20 orders with HK so far, and all went well. That's about $3,500.00 or more I gave to Hobby King. I would say that I saved myself at least $1,600.00 if I were to have bought the same stuff from a US dealer or hobby shop. On my last order, HK sent me an extra air-speed indicator by mistake ... a $20+ value!
That to me is the biggest thing to consider when ordering...
and the long distance communication I hope gets better in the next couple months..
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM
topspin

from Airplanes400 We are all individuals. What one believes, another may not. Last I checked, we are all adults that can make our own decisions.

Hobby King sells much of the named brand stuff at lower prices, and they sell identical stuff as named brands ... just without the label and at 40~ 60% less.
Under Radios the only Spektrum branded item is the DSM2 modual for JR. HK has it for $179.95 and Horizon lists it for $109.00 . None of the receivers are either brand name or the same without the lable, they are different altogether and are not supported by Spektrum. Moving to Futaba, the 7C is $279.99 at HK and $279.99 from Tower. Factor in shipping and Tower is a better deal. HK offers the Futaba T8FG for $439.99 while tower has the TF8G (A model) for $30.00 more. Factor in shipping (and the newest model from Tower) and its at a minimum a wash. HK does have better prices on most other Futaba radios but several of them are not the latest models, probably factory overstock but nothing wrong with them. Hobby King has the Futaba R6208HS for $134.19, Tower has the same receiver for $139.88 so considering shipping time and cost Tower is the better deal. HK has a good deal on the R617FS and is $10.00 less than Tower so with shipping you will save about $5.00.

Looked at Gas and Glow motors but all of the glow motors except one are off brand Chinese and quality is unknown. Same for the RCG gas engines since the jury is still out on quality for these as well. The DLA motors are also not of the highest quality and only Amain and HK seem to sell them.

So the point is that there are a few good deals to be had on HK of you know what you are looking for and you do your homework. Most of the in house brand stuff is pretty cheaply made so it depends on if you don't mind putting an iffy part in your plane. That's that choice thing you talked about. I can see buying hardware and glue from them but would not want their electronics in any of my planes and before you go off on some tangent please remember;
We are all individuals. What one believes, another may not. Last I checked, we are all adults that can make our own decisions.
Your words..

If Hobby king would get their heads out of the sand and start acting like a US company they could double their sales in short order. As long as they continue their niggardly customer service and refund/store credit policies they are going to stay about where they are. But we are all free to make our own choices and I choose to shop carefully. I would much rather pay a few dollars more for quality any day you may not feel that way or can't afford quality and that's OK. It is afterall,your money, shop wherever you like.

By the way, how did that AMA waiver thing go??
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Engines and radios are a different matter. Not such a good deal or price difference there, I admit & agree with you. Plus, I'd much rather buy those items from Tower, or someone in the USA. But hardware, many retracts, batteries, motors, accessories, some servos, FVP & other electronics are great deals from HK. As you said, and I agree too, "there are a few good deals to be had on HK if you know what you are looking for and you do your homework."

I don't do foamies. But I'd only recommend the Orange Rx brand and the $4 servos for use in foamies. I once used Hitech HS-55's in a small foamie years ago that I thought I could fly in my backyard. I had lots of problems with those servos and sold the plane before I ever flew it. That tiny stuff is not for me.

Hobby King is now selling FOD screens for $5 to $6. This is far below the prices the turbine manufacturers (or any US dealers) are selling them for.

Ahhhh......... Peace on earth. Goodwill towards man.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM
rlytle

I made my first order with United Hobbies years ago. Being sceptical I kept the order small and it arrived 3 days later Hong Kong Post. I couldn't believe I could order something from so far away and get it in three days. It takes 5 days shipping to me here on the east coast from CA. Since then I have made a total of twenty orders to Hobby City then Hobby King. Battery orders take lots longer to get as they come by pack mule I think. I guess I have been lucky as I only have had two problems. The first was an esc that didn't work. Not worth sending back a $12 item to me. The other issue was I placed an order and paid with a credit card by pay pal. Hobby King refused to recognize the order was paid for even after many attempts emailing their customer service with pay pal tracking information. My credit card company was reluctant to get invoved and wanted me to settle this with pay pal since HK Customer Service was a brick wall. Pay Pal credited my account by default after HK didn't respond to their emails. Since then I still have placed orders with HK knowing I was taking my chances. Today I am waiting for an airplane I ordered from the USA warehouse. It was supposed to be delivered yesterday. HK shipped it proptly as the tracking number from the plane smashers (UPS) show. UPS last showed it in Jacksonville, FL. Hopefully it will come today in one piece. But thats a story or another day.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM
20prcnt

[:@]so the only thing i can think of why people order from the is because they have china rebranded parts. i know some of you dont want to admit to your clones but mine had this bad ass 2.4 rx as big as my thumb now its rebranded flysky and i want 5 at 7.50 a piece cant go wrong water and land.but even with all my past backodered bull crap with them i did it any way but this time moneys gone parts are in but not shiped to me yet.they will be getting a call from me tomorrow. im sure my # number is red flaged[>:]they hug up on me last time but i got my stuff.never again got a new plan.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:11 AM
misterv

I have quickly looked through this forum and although RCU is WorldWide, I notice 99% of the messages on this item are from modellers in the US of A.
Has anyone wondered why?.
Just maybe all "FOREIGN" modellers are too busy laughing their heads off at you "locals" who now have to suffer the same service (or complete lack of) problems that we have received from US suppliers for many years. Yes!!! people do live outside of the US.Today there are still US companies that will not sell out of the USA and I am not referring to Third World Countries.
If you really want to see complants, suggest to HobbyKing they no longer sell to US of A. Now that would be interesting forum.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Lucky for us we still have Horizon and Tower in case we get fed up with overseas vendors,,,, Sorry you don't have that luxury
Old 12-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: 20prcnt

[:@]so the only thing i can think of why people order from the is because they have china rebranded parts. i know some of you dont want to admit to your clones but mine had this bad ass 2.4 rx as big as my thumb now its rebranded flysky and i want 5 at 7.50 a piece cant go wrong water and land.but even with all my past backodered bull crap with them i did it any way but this time moneys gone parts are in but not shiped to me yet.they will be getting a call from me tomorrow. im sure my # number is red flaged[>:]they hug up on me last time but i got my stuff.never again got a new plan.
I have no idea what you are saying...
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: misterv

I have quickly looked through this forum and although RCU is WorldWide, I notice 99% of the messages on this item are from modellers in the US of A.
Has anyone wondered why?.
Just maybe all ''FOREIGN'' modellers are too busy laughing their heads off at you ''locals'' who now have to suffer the same service (or complete lack of) problems that we have received from US suppliers for many years. Yes!!! people do live outside of the US.Today there are still US companies that will not sell out of the USA and I am not referring to Third World Countries.
If you really want to see complants, suggest to HobbyKing they no longer sell to US of A. Now that would be interesting forum.

I will be visiting your country for the holidays very soon. We go there every other year or so to visit relatives until after New Years, it's nice and warm. I was surprised that there were not very many hobby stores in AU and not that many RC modelers for that matter. Nice place, nice people, and great beer.

Joke: A guy who wishes to emigrate to Australia is seated in front of the immigration agent. The agent asks, do you have any convictions to which the man responds, I didn't know those were still required..
Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM
20prcnt

my bad, my messed up order was form hobby partz. so SORRY hobby king.

i swear i thought i saw a hobby king comercial bout this time last year or the year before. those comercials stand out cause this hobby dosnt get much advertiseing here. or mabye the nitro got to me.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:40 PM
20prcnt

i just ordered some things. i went to tower, hpi servo saver 9$ plus shipping, then went to ddm and it was 7$ plus shipping then off the top off my order they took 10%. then 100$ or more is free shipping.oh and they give candies and stickers with ddm logo.well i thought that was cool never got candies from my rc dealers,special me.

you must peck and search for the good dealers, and when you find one, keep looking caues theres one more out there.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 PM
misterv

In reply to TOPSPIN.
re his joke. All may not realise that Australia was first used as a convict settlement after England lost the use of America to clear its overcrowed jails.
Looking at the state of the two countries today, the convics got the better deal.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:01 AM
the pope

In reply to TOPSPIN.
re his joke. All may not realise that Australia was first used as a convict settlement after England lost the use of America to clear its overcrowed jails.
Looking at the state of the two countries today, the convics got the better deal.

Im just glad they sent them all to victoria. That way the great state of south australia remains free of those unsavoury charactors . Cheers the pope
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 AM
topspin

In reply to TOPSPIN.

Hey we were first and yep we did get a deal, not too sure about youse guys since no one can live more than 20 miles inland.

FWIW we invented all of the coolest stuff, Rock and Roll, Stereo, TV, Color TV, Cars, V8's, Drive in's, Drive through's, Slim Jims, Beef Jerky, Corn Nuts, Bourbon, Nukes, Rockets, Space Ships, Spam, and Cheese in aerosol cans. Oh and the Slinkey, almost forgot that one.

You guy's invented Paul Hogan.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
snoozer
My Feedback: (41)

Thought I'd post a quick update to my saga with Hobby King.

I last E-Mailed them 8 days ago with a simple question "When can i expect the refund you have promised me?
I never received any response to my question.

So this morning I receive the following E-Mail:

This message relates to your Ticket #119952. We have not received any response from you for over 7 days, and would like to know if you consider this ticket to be resolved.

If no response is received within 24 hours, this ticket will automatically be closed.

If your enquiry has not been resolved, simply response to this email and your ticket will remain as open.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
HobbyKing Support Team

Needless to say I am absolutely livid.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: snoozer

I last E-Mailed them 8 days ago with a simple question ''When can i expect the refund you have promised me?

This message relates to your Ticket #119952. We have not received any response from you for over 7 days, and would like to know if you consider this ticket to be resolved.

If no response is received within 24 hours, this ticket will automatically be closed.

If your enquiry has not been resolved, simply response to this email and your ticket will remain as open.

Best Regards,
HobbyKing Support Team

I don't blame you buddy they ripped you off but good. Did you try the phone numbers I gave you?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:56 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: snoozer

I last E-Mailed them 8 days ago with a simple question ''When can i expect the refund you have promised me?

Best Regards,
HobbyKing Support Team

sounds like big miss communication
have you talked with paypal?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM
the pope

ORIGINAL: topspin

In reply to TOPSPIN.

Hey we were first and yep we did get a deal, not too sure about youse guys since no one can live more than 20 miles inland.

FWIW we invented all of the coolest stuff, Rock and Roll, Stereo, TV, Color TV, Cars, V8's, Drive in's, Drive through's, Slim Jims, Beef Jerky, Corn Nuts, Bourbon, Nukes, Rockets, Space Ships, Spam, and Cheese in aerosol cans. Oh and the Slinkey, almost forgot that one.

You forgot to mention crack in your coolest list. Cheers the pope
Old 12-07-2011, 07:37 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: the pope

In reply to TOPSPIN.

Ha, the Canadians invented that stuff..

I forgot to give you credit for Vegemite but you can keep that stuff, it tastes nasty.. And you get double points for VB, excellent beer. We still have you though, I forgot about motorcycles and the salad spinner.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: the pope

In reply to TOPSPIN.

Ha, the Canadians invented that stuff..

I forgot to give you credit for Vegemite but you can keep that stuff, it tastes nasty.. And you get double points for VB, excellent beer. We still have you though, I forgot about motorcycles and the salad spinner.
You got that ar$e about face. The vegemite is good and VB tastes like cats pee. I think we have got the lawn mower ( bad idea that one ) ugg boots and the esky. I could be wrong but what does that matter. Cheers the pope
Old 01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
rockin daddy
My Feedback: (32)

Hobby King has now become known at out club as "Hong Kong Fooey". Their service really sucks!!! Back in May I sent them a Western Union Money Order for an order of $508 worth of merchandise. I sent $540 so there would be a few extra dollars as they never have everything in stock when you order it. They are always out of stock on many items.

To date I have gotten many BS e-mails and excuses why they have not shipped my order over 8 months old!!! I keep advising them to substitute several items and get the order on the "slow-boat"!!!

Still no shipping confirmation!!! What do you have to do?? Go to the State Department??

I don't think I will everorder anything from thisoverseas hobby companyagain. Why has our modeling come down to cheap Chinese imports?? No one builds anymore. So many of wonderful American hobby manufacturers have discontinued their companies.

Throughly Disgusted and dissapointed,

The Rockindaddy
Old 01-10-2012, 05:44 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: rockin daddy
Hobby King has now become known at out club as "Hong Kong Fooey". Their service really sucks!!! Back in May I sent them a Western Union Money Order for an order of $508 worth of merchandise.
You sent a money order to a foreign company with a spotty track record for customer service? Were you hoping that having your cash with few strings attached would magically improve their service? The only time I would ever use a money order is if it was going to someone Iknew personally, or if they had sent me the merchandise first.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:37 AM
AlphaWhisky

I`ve been rc modelling for close on fifty years and seen a lot of changes in that time. For years we were at a real currency disadvantage against the yankee dollar but still soldiered on buying stuff from the liles of Circus Hobbies, Tower etc. Just grinned and bore it all - that or go without I seem to recall the Robart retracts alone I bought for my Midwest AT-6 cost in the region of $250 way back then..

I`m still a builder at heart and just before Xmas I was interested in buying a Great Planes P-51 kit from Tower to put around some 'cheap' ($8.00 each) electric retracts. So happened it was out of stock, but is now back and available - price increased 10 bucks to just $124 something.... Freight to me here in Oz on top of that another mere $141. Reluctantly had to pass on that .

By way of contrats, I`m still smiling as I fly my 1100 mm span Durafly P-51 PNP foamy which was supplied fitted with electric retracts, electric flaps, nav lights, servos, motor, ESC,and a fancy four blade prop all landed here within a week.

I have dealt with HK for several years now, well over fifty orders, and not a dud yet. I still have the (good) HK electric retract units ready for the GP P-51, but I guess I`ll have to find something else to put them in now...

Can`t even fit them into the new EDF Vampire jet which is now on order - it comes with a trike set already fitted, along with all servos, fan, motor, ESC and still significantly cheaper than the GP Mustang bare kit...

What goes around, comes around maybe.....
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably been said before but Don't Order Items With Low Or Zero or Negative Stock from chicom companies. I've been watching items from a few companies with negative stock and they haven't changed for 5 months.
Order stuff that has good stock and even then it's a gamble. Only spend what you can afford to loose.
Much better choices in the USA for batteries and other heavy items that aren't worth sending back to chicom if there are problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.