Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Prop injury in the news

Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop injury in the news

http://news.yahoo.com/lauren-scruggs...101317983.html
Old 12-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: Prop injury in the news

The headlines would lead you to believe this was from a model plane but the person was a model.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes! It's not that difficult for someone inexperienced to walk into a spinning prop. Hey, some of us put our hands through them time after time and don't learn.
Need more information here but if the pilot let her exit with the engine running he is at fault. If she got out,was clear/walking away, then he started up to leave and she came back out to "thank him" then.........
Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Sad, such a beautiful young lady. It's great she survived. 

They quoted John Nance, a real veteran aviator and best-selling author. Cool cat. Inexcusable accident. 
Old 12-06-2011, 04:04 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Happens a lot more often than might be thought. Saw a guy get out of 182 one time and walk into the prop. He was use to a 172 which had wing struts. The 182 didn't so when he got out and walked up front, well, you get the picture.

People need to use their head around planes..........full scale or not.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:09 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Happens a lot more often than might be thought. Saw a guy get out of 182 one time and walk into the prop. He was use to a 172 which had wing struts. The 182 didn't so when he got out and walked up front, well, you get the picture.

It was likely a Cessna 210 as all the 182's do have struts.

Regarding that article, I never let passengers even crack the door until the engine was secured. Flying is a very rewarding pursuit, but it is also very unforgiving of poor practices.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:00 PM
rcairflr
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Sad, such a beautiful young lady. It's great she survived.

They quoted John Nance, a real veteran aviator and best-selling author. Cool cat. Inexcusable accident.
I recently had the pleasure to listen to a 2.5 hour presentation from John Nance, what a great speaker, if he ever get the opportunity, don't miss it.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 PM
blvdbuzzard

Several years ago at the local field, a student had finished her 4th flight. Pilot let her out by the door to the school. Engine was off. She was walking to the door, he fired up the plane and started to taxi to where they park the plane. He looks out sees her running next to the plane, he panics, slams on the breaks, she runs into the prop. Tore her up pretty bad. She did live. What caused all of this, she left her purse in the plane.

The school shut down for almost two weeks. Pilot was a basket case. It really effected him. He was never the same. She had the physical injuries, he had some really bad mental injuries.

Some time is it hard for people to understand that two pieces of matter cannot be in the same spot at the same time.

It is a real shame she has to go through all of this. I hope she recovers as best as she can.

Buzz.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Helicopter blades have killed many folks when they lapse slightly, one I knew. I sometimes ran a LZ during Marijuana eradication operations.
I never allowed anyone behind the rear door with the ship running, ever.
Had an old neighbor hand-propping his Cessna, guess what the ignition was on and it almost killed him.
You can never be too safe with prop blades.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:52 AM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

Several years ago at the local field, a student had finished her 4th flight. Pilot let her out by the door to the school. Engine was off. She was walking to the door, he fired up the plane and started to taxi to where they park the plane. He looks out sees her running next to the plane, he panics, slams on the breaks, she runs into the prop. Tore her up pretty bad. She did live. What caused all of this, she left her purse in the plane.

The school shut down for almost two weeks. Pilot was a basket case. It really effected him. He was never the same. She had the physical injuries, he had some really bad mental injuries.

Some time is it hard for people to understand that two pieces of matter cannot be in the same spot at the same time.

It is a real shame she has to go through all of this. I hope she recovers as best as she can.

Buzz.
The reported story is missing lots of information...typical media......but I would say the above scenario might fit this accident.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM
topspin

I just felt bad when I read that article. Her whole life was just ruined in an instant by a mistake. While she is fortunate to be alive it really hurt her terribly and she will never have a normal life again. My prayers go out to her and her family.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Buzz.
The reported story is missing lots of information...typical media......but I would say the above scenario might fit this accident.
Maybe that is all the info they were given.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: thailazer

ORIGINAL: pdm52956

Yup, you're correct. It was a 210. My bad but none the less lethal. Got to have the head on straight.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

She is lucky to be alive. Having been a part of naval aviation since 1987, most of the prop strikes I have heard of have been lethal. Anyone who goes near a turning aircraft should be briefed on danger areas at the very least. Aviation is very unforgiving of even the smallest mistakes.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:42 PM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: warningshot

Buzz.
Could be but it's up to the "reporter" to dig and get the information to write a complete article not simply print what is given to them especially when it leads the readers to form their own conclusions as to what really happened.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Buzz.
Could be but it's up to the "reporter" to dig and get the information to write a complete article not simply print what is given to them especially when it leads the readers to form their own conclusions as to what really happened.
So when a reporter is unable to get all the details initially what are they supposed to do?Should they hold the article until every minute detail is known or should they go ahead and publish to inform the public of what's known at the time?

And for reference, many of us readers are fully capable of reading an article and not jumping to conclusions when all the facts are not known. Should the media's actions be governed by a small number of people who feel the need to speculate on causes when all the facts are not yet known?

Old 12-08-2011, 06:24 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I attended training at "East Coast Areo Technical School" in Lexington , Mass for my FAA A/P mechanic's rating . During our training , we were shown a film of what happens when mechanics become complacent around the aircraft they work on day in/day out . It was mostly airport security camera footage of people walking into running props . Not many survived .

As an A/P , I can see all too easily the mistake the young lady made ..... It was dark (she had been on a night flight looking at christmas lights) and a spinning prop aint exactly the easiest thing to see , even in daylight ! .......

A horrible tragedy , , and the young lady has my prayers and sympathy .................
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 AM
flyinwalenda

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Buzz.
Could be but it's up to the ''reporter'' to dig and get the information to write a complete article not simply print what is given to them especially when it leads the readers to form their own conclusions as to what really happened.
So when a reporter is unable to get all the details initially what are they supposed to do? Should they hold the article until every minute detail is known or should they go ahead and publish to inform the public of what's known at the time?

And for reference, many of us readers are fully capable of reading an article and not jumping to conclusions when all the facts are not known. Should the media's actions be governed by a small number of people who feel the need to speculate on causes when all the facts are not yet known?

Instead of stating "It was believed she went back to thank the pilot and walked into the spinning prop" without any facts supporting if she: got out with the engine running, or got out with the engine off but came back after the engine restarted, or....,or,....or......
I think honest responsible reporting would have been: "she was injured by the spinning propeller ,it was not clear how it happened and we will update the story when we have all the facts" Mostly it seems they create a sensational story albeit full of holes just to sell it and the facts may or may not come out later.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:46 PM
blvdbuzzard

Well, we had a lady chase her dog right into a trolley out here. They are BIG, RED and have loud horns.

This is from an email a friend who drives them sent me:

Blue Line, 6 PM Approx, W/B ASH ST. Xing… Female walking dog, Operator Dahl, He was calm,,, She survived. But, certainly hospitalized… E/B W/B Track closures, for like 45 MINS +. Car 1034, System Recovery went smooth, outta the Yard.. I was only, held over 30 Minutes after my Shift… GOD Bless her!!!

I saw the 1034 Car in the C Yard, Post event… Face Smudge, Make-Up Imprint, DNA certainly present. Teeth Marks, scaring Red Trolley paint, on Front of Train, Under Operator Windshield… Exact Victim Height… Small female 5’ 8” Approx, CSI, stuff… UGH! I hope, she Recovers!!! Must have extreme Head Trauma?!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45597873...truck-trolley/

Happens all to often. People just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just a split second loss of focus is all it takes.

Buzz.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:17 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Early 210's have struts, so likely a later model.

There was a DC-3 operated locally about 20+ years ago that came in from a trip. A maintenance guy was on a ladder near the prop when a cylinder 'cooked off' (fired while still warm, sometimes caused by carbon deposits). The prop tossed him and the remains of the ladder over the fuselage, he wound up with a broken back but recovered.