Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Wife's new jacket

Old 12-02-2011, 03:50 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife's new jacket

My wife wanted to get a WWII bomber jacket. She bought one and I got a good laugh out of the label when I was looking it over at home.

This correlates to how our RC products seam to all be made in China now. It's a sad day when your "vintage" WWII leather jacket and most of the components in your P-40 Warhawk are made in China. I hadn't really cared much about it but now it's starting to bother me. There are over 190 countries in this world so it seems strange to me that 90% of our RC products have to come from just one of them.

I'm going to make a personal effort to use more RC products made in the USA or at least some other country other than China.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69262.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	1694376  
Old 12-02-2011, 04:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wife's new jacket

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I suppose that qualifes as buy American......
Old 12-02-2011, 07:37 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 PM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least they got the star count correct even though the spacing is way off! Who knows what kind of chemicals they used on the "leather"!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:48 AM
outdoorhunting

It' might be Yak leather ! Does she have an uncontrollable urge to spit when she wears it ?
Old 12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL
Old 12-04-2011, 01:29 AM
tommygun32

I wouldn't doubt that jacket is probably made of 'American' leather and just cut, stitched and assembled in China.

That's the state of things. It probably costs less to slaughter the cows in the States, skin them and ship it to China, have the work done there, and ship it back to the States for sale there than it does to just do it all in America. [&o]
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

I wouldn't doubt that jacket is probably made of 'American' leather and just cut, stitched and assembled in China.

That's the state of things. It probably costs less to slaughter the cows in the States, skin them and ship it to China, have the work done there, and ship it back to the States for sale there than it does to just do it all in America. [&o]
There is a difference between "skins" and leather: the tanning process. The EPA shut down American tanneries years ago. There really is no American leather, anymore.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Silent-AV8R

I'm betting "American Leather" is the brand name and has nothing to do with where it was sourced.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM
tommygun32

Hmmm...I didn't know that. I stand corrected and will go with Silent's suggestion.

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

There is a difference between ''skins'' and leather: the tanning process. The EPA shut down American tanneries years ago. There really is no American leather, anymore.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

Got a good laugh out of the label in my wife's new leather "I think it's fake leather" jacket.
Chinakote!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 AM
vasek

What ever you do AW, don't tell the wife it's a fake! [X(]
Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

"Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are! "
Uh, this thread is RC-related how?
I forgot, the 'vagaries of the mods' rule.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM
tommygun32

Everyone duck!! The RC Police are in the house!!

Ok really?

Hmmmmm....90% of the ARF/RTF/BNDNFLY products come from CHINA. I see the complaints here every day.

Having said that, I feel that Amish is simply trying to post/draw a correlation between the two situations of his wife's new jacket and our RC situation...[&:] and he is sharing his giggle about it with you.

I'm pretty sure this would have been posted in the 'flying off-topic' forum would there be some more movement in it....[&:]

Stab me in the left eye if I'm wrong.

Anyway, in before the 'lock'.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:52 PM
MinnFlyer

It is a mods prerogative to be vagarious

And if I had deleted it, how many would accuse us of being the RCU Gestapo?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Personally, I do see the correlation to current manufacturing of RC products.It is a shame that the current trade laws and tarrifs make it cheaper to produce quality RC products overseas and ship them here as opposed to producing them domestically. I've said the same thing for years about my automobiles. Pop the hood on my F150 or my wife's minivan and most of the parts you can see are either made in Mexico or China. The day may be coming when all automobiles are assembled overseas as well.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
AmishWarlord

ORIGINAL: eddieC

Uh, this thread is RC-related how?

Um, I thought this was the club house where people can loosely talk about all kinds of things.

If I posted something RC related such as , "Here are some pictures of my new pattern plane" would I then be told that the tread needs to be posted in the pattern forum?

But fine I'll go back and edit my original post.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:40 AM
MinnFlyer

Everything on RCU should be RC related - but there are a lot of gray areas. We let as much slide as possible in an attempt NOT to over-moderate.

A large percentage of what we talk about revolves around China. So, while this topic is not precisely related to RC, it flows along the lines of a topic which we discuss often.

The recent controversy which people are alluding to was a thread about Zombies and how you would defend yourself against an onslaught of them.

This has nothing to do with RC in any way, shape or form.

Not only that, but something I am sure most people are not aware of is that "Zombies" are based on real people. Not like you see in the movies, and no, they don't eat brains, etc. but they are people who have been drugged to appear dead, buried alive, and dug up later through which process they are left mentally decimated in an attempt to punish them and their families (who must now care for them).

So it is not only unrelated, but it makes a mockery of devastated human lives.

'Nuff said.

We now return you to the original thread sill in progress.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Mike,
2-words,,,, "moderator's prerogative",, you can let what ever you want stand

But I will say IMO this thread has nothing remotely to do with RC, but is political/economical commentary. Another attack China for what We've let happen thread. Pretty clear to see.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 AM
MinnFlyer

People can see it how they will. The way I see it is pure oxymoron. "American Leather - Made in China"

It reminds me of a road sign I used to drive past when I lived in Des Moines. I wish I had taken a picture of it, but since I didn't I'll do it up in Photoshop (much funnier to see than to explain)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84510.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	1695629  
Old 12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
outdoorhunting

IMO, this thread has been a lot of fun & interesting too. If the mods deleted it, somebody would throw a tantrum! Good grief, we're just having fun!! Isn't THAT what this forum is for ???? Good call Minn !!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The complaint's on such thread's as this remind's me of why we don't make all these thing's in America. Think about it.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

I think I see your point, which is related to mine. I don't see anyone here "attacking" China. If I could make fortune cookies and send them to China cheaper than they could be made in China, I would probably do it. And if my label said "Chinese Dough, Made In America", and Chinese people still bought my fortune cookies, who's fault would it be?..........

I think the problem is here, not China.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

"Not only that, but something I am sure most people are not aware of is that "Zombies" are based on real people. Not like you see in the movies, and no, they don't eat brains, etc. but they are people who have been drugged to appear dead, buried alive, and dug up later through which process they are left mentally decimated in an attempt to punish them and their families (who must now care for them). So it is not only unrelated, but it makes a mockery of devastated human lives. ". Wow! Where did this come from? I'm amazed this hasn't been questioned by anyone! Please tell me what this is based on?Don't tell me you believe in superstitions? If you do, well, we may have more to worry about than 'vagarious' mods. And because this thread has 'China' in it, it's related to RC because some of our products come from China? Quite a stretch...For the record Mike, I'm only asking the same rules be applied to all threads. Mine should have been moved to 'non-RC related', as should this thread. Both have nothing relevant to RC, which is the stated requirement for the Clubhouse. It's because the rules are selectively implied, even ignored, is why there is confusion as to what's allowed. And the 'because I say so' response hasn't worked since I was 8.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.