Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

RC Flying in Orange County, CA

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Flying in Orange County, CA

Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RC Flying in Orange County, CA

I would like to bring up 2 topics:

1. I don't see a forum section for RC Flying sites and clubs. That seems like it might deserve a section of its own. What do you all think?

2. Any RC pilots live in or around North Orange County, like Brea, Fullerton, La Habra, Yorba Linda, Placentia, etc that know any good spots to fly electrics close by. We just moved to the area about a year ago and we have been to Whittier Narrows, Irvine Lake and Prado Dam. We plan to join one of the RC clubs but I am getting lazier as I get older and I would really like to find somewhere closer to fly (at least the electrics). We have flown park flyers at the soccer fields in Fullerton but what I would like to know if there are any areas to fly electrics that are just a little too big for the soccer fields. It seems like that there is so much open area just north east of Brea that there must be some place that has the room. If anyone knows of a spot and/or would like to meet up and fly once and a while let me know.It would be really great if there was a spot in north OC for a new flying field, I think that there is the population and the open space to have one, just need to find the right open space, but now I am probably just dreaming. Yes, I am very lazy and hate to drive even 30-40 minutes to fly, I have 3 kids that have us running around all the time so time is very valuable.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
rcphotog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Flying in Orange County, CA

Have ya been to Blackstar Canyon field yet?

It's about 6 miles due east of the 57 and 91fwys interchange. I beleive it's the club field for the Scale Squadron of So Cal. that used to fly at Mile Square park many years ago.

Be carefull when flying in public parks. Many cities in L.A. and Orange Co. have strick ordinances against it.
Ken.
ps; nothing beats Prado in So Cal. and....no I'm not a member.... yet $$$$$ I'm from So Cal and have flown at about a dozen fields and Prado really is supreme. I live closer to the Hemet Model Masters field and it ranks second but getting better every year.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Tobtech
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RC Flying in Orange County, CA

Hey rcphotog

Yes, we have flown at Blackstar Canyon, that is the one that I called Irvine Lake. It is technically the closest to me. Good field, nice runway. I thought it was a little strange that I had to show up at the gate and convince them to let me fly there as a guest (with my AMA card in hand). I plan to either join there or Pomona Valley RC (Prado), but I emailed someone from Blackstar Canyon to get a membership application and never heard back.

Prado is a really nice field and I think that we are going to join that club. Dues are reasonable and the facility is great. People were also nice. I use to live in Murrieta a long time ago and I joined Hemet Model Masters and flew there a few times. That is a great field as well.

I know there are a ton of places to fly around here, I am just always looking for something closer. Price of gas is too high and I am lazy so if I can get a quick flying session in near home then I am happy.