Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Beware of PayPal

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of PayPal

I sold a brushless motor thru the buy and sell forum to a fellow from Peru.He deposited the money in my paypal account and instructed me to ship the item to an address in Miami. I took the item to the UPS store and had them pack and ship it.
A week later He claimed he never received the item and opened a dispute in paypal.
UPS claims they delivered the item and has a signature to prove it but paypal deducted the payment from my account.
So now I appear to be out the money and the motor and the $15 it cost to ship it.
If I ever sell anything thru paypal again I will transfer the funds out of my account to my bank and put a stop payment on paypal then I will ship it
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Default RE: Beware of PayPal

OK

Did you ship to his PAYPAL address? If not your out of luck. Gotta follow those PAYPAL rules. Also leave him NEGATIVE FEEDBACK to warn everyone.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:41 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is exactly why I refuse to use paypal. I have an account and I use to purchase from larger venders but never to receive money... too bad buyers, I will take cash or credit card payments only.

USE SHIPPING INSURANCE AND MAKE THE BUYER PAY OR INCLUDE IN THE PRICE YOU ARE WILLING TO SELL FOR. Peru should also have been a tip off to you. Don't sell to someone out of the country.

There are many trans-shipment "companies" that are just suckers shilling for these criminals.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I ship overseas all the time,,, the same rules apply as for within the USA

1-Only ship to a "confirmed address"
2-Get some form of delivery confirmation,,

You must be able to prove it was delivered,, if you can't paypal will protect the buyer
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
dirtybird

Apparently Paypal gives the buyer 30 days to dispute the transaction. So even if he receives it, he can say it wasn't what he thought he was going to get,or he doesn't like the looks of it,and get his money back.
So for now on I will use the procedure I outlined in my first post and safely get my money before I ship an item. That is if I ever use paypal again.
A business can factor in the price they charge to take care of the small percentage of deadbeats out there but, to an individual one sour transaction can be devastating.
Let the businesses support paypal and let the owner make electric cars and take shots at the moon. Its not for me.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:14 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: dirtybird
If I ever sell anything thru paypal again I will transfer the funds out of my account to my bank and put a stop payment on paypal then I will ship it
I understand you being frustrated,, but don't do this. It doesn't matter if you have cash inthe acct. If they try to back charge you they'll just charge your credit card if you try something like that, you cancel your CC and they'll put it into collections. Another RCU member learned that the hard way.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM
dirtybird

I don't have a credit card. Paypal is linked to my bank account. If I put a stop payment on that they can't get anything.
I couldn't care less if they put a collection on me. Many others have tried and got nothing from me. I was the victim of a messy divorce and the ex charged more than 50K to my name. They got nothing and after 7 years my record was cleared.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
dirtybird

Update.
I received a copy of the signature obtained by UPS when they delivered the item. When I scanned the copy and prepared to send it to the buyer I discovered he had already closed the dispute and the funds released to my account.
I guess he decided to get out before his scam was uncovered.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

all's well that ends well
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 AM
w0mbat
My Feedback: (1)

Ebay does the same thing. We have had many people buy items on Ebay, pay though paypal then claim they didn't receive the item or part of the item. Ebay/Paypal refunds them immediately, then the "dispute" goes into mediation where Ebay sides with the buyer 99% of the time. Sometimes Ebay will send them a call tag have them return the item to the seller in order to get credit but all they have to do is return an empty box and credit is automatically given once tracking shows it was received.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM
dirtybird

Doesn't ebay own paypal?
Normally,UPS, when they deliver to my house will place the item on the doorstep,ring the doorbell and leave without getting a signature.
In this case they had a signature plus they had other signatures for delivery at the same address that matched. So they must have had trouble at this address before.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 AM
scale only 4 me

yes ebay owns paypal,,

When you ship there is "Delivery confirmation" and Siginture confirmation"
In most shipping,, requiring a signature costs a couple bucks extra,, it's an option not automatic.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 AM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: w0mbat
Ebay does the same thing.
eBay bought PayPal a while ago.

The only safe way to buy/sell anything of significant value IMO is through an escrow service. Its not cheap, but both parties are protected. If someone is resistant to escrow, that is an indicator something isn't quite right.