Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: A fun fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A fun fly

Has any one out there put on a RC Plane show . I'm thinking about doing one . What will be involed in putting one on ? Did you give prizes ? Did you need sponsership .
    spitfire brotherhood #47 West Coast Squadron

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: A fun fly

Lots of things involved....

have you been to fun flys?

you might attend a few, maybe talk to the organizers and then go from there...
    also check with your club,,, there may be a member who has done this and will have insight.....
    Extreme Flight RC tech support
    IMAC Vice President|IMAC Sequence Committee|IMAC National Judging Instructor|Team Futaba|Extreme Flight R/C|2014 IMAC World Championships Contest Director

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flyntruk

Has any one out there put on a RC Plane show . I'm thinking about doing one . What will be involed in putting one on ? Did you give prizes ? Did you need sponsership .
    flyntruk, have you ever been to any event concerning model airplanes? There are many "shows" of numerous different types.

May I suggest you go to http://www.modelaircraft.org/documents.aspx which is the "Documents" section of the Academy of Model Aeronautics' listings of many items. Scan over the immense categories of items, then go to the home page, and find out all you can about what an AMA Contest Director is and does, read the Safety Code, and then locate the listings of events on the calendar.
    I think you may not be a member of AMA because if you were and received the AMA Magazine, Model Aviation then you would be aware of the large listing of events that always appears in each monthly issue.

Get with your (or a) club and discuss your desires. There are all kinds of events from just a small number of modelers doing a Fly-In to large events for competition and simply larger Fly-Ins.
    You will hear the terms Fly-In and Fun-Fly used interchangeably. You then have to determine what is happening there. In true meaning Fly-In is just to Fly, have fun, and demonstrate whatever. Fun-Fly should be restricted to mean a competition using self designed rules or those in the AMA Special Events item 705 which is a competition, yet there are numerous challenges which the CD and/or Sponsor can pick whatever he/she/they want/s. There are numerous events and classes of events for very demanding competitions as well as some that are easy, which all are for the real competitors.

So it makes no difference as the sponsors do what they wish and all have a good time. BTW there are numerous "Demonstrations" where some perform the SHOW just as you question.

So jump in there, read up on AMA, check with some of the more experienced club members, and have a BALL! Now just one item to remember: You will run into some old and young "Grouches" which will put down everything you try to do. DON'T pay those kind any attention. Go with your desires and have Fun and MAKE Fun for others.

Good Luck Man.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As stated there could be lot's involved. Really depends on how informal or formal you want to male it.
    Most of our events are sanctioned , open to all clubs and to the public with AMA, food is sold, prize drawings are conducted, etc..etc.. and are fundraising events for the club .
    Other events are very informal, non-sanctioned, only open to nearby clubs, public not allowed, no landing fees, bring your own food, no prizes, ...just a simple fun-fly.
    Brian Ray