Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Value of opinions on RCU

Just thought i'd throwsomething out there:

I read RCU forum posts most days and generally find amass of information of all sorts of stuff. On balance mostis good, accurate and valuable and i think its an amazing resource. However, I find that many forum posts seem to degenerateinto ugly, agressive arguments.

I'm not sure why,when people express and opinion or just ask a question, why some members takeoffense and start been aggressive, rude and belittling to other members. The past 3 forums I've read started great and ended in this way; 1 on RC Jets, one on scale and one of sport flying)

IMHO (yes thats my opinion)we should all value each others comments, if you don't agree or sympathise with someone elses view, then fine, its not a competition,nor is it an online argument.

After all this is just a hobby.

I welcome your views.
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Value of opinions on RCU

After a while, you get to know who's advise you like and who's you can ignore

For that matter, if there's someone whose opinion you really don't care for, you can click the "Block" icon under his post and you will no longer see him.

And if anyone really crosses the line, click the "Report" link and we'll delete the post.
    Mike B. AMA# 42400 www.gettingairborne.com
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #2 - Waco Brother #188 - Cub Brother #2

\"Those are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.\" - Groucho Marx

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike if I clicked the block link for them there might not be anyone left to see. LOL
    Seriously, I agree totally that too many get to upset /aggressive. I just ignore them. I tend to take most of it with a grain of salt. Usually if there is someone I think is good I'll PM them and keep it out of a forum. Done that a time or two with you, Mike. And Thank's for all you do!
    Robert
    Cub Brotherhood #3\\ Ryan STA Brotherhood #4
    Corsair Brotherhood #56\\ Waco Brotherhood #184

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reading through the threads...its becomes easier and easier to sort out
    the truely objective and knowledgeable Rcu users, from those who are
    biased, lack any objectivity, lack any ability to weight and sort facts, or would be any use at all
    in coming to a right, proper, and/or correct conclusion/solution.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

MinnFlyer,

Roger all. As you can see with my 13 posts, i don't use this forum much apart from seeking information. I prefer to pass on my expertise (mostly on EDF and electric flight) by word of mouth to fellow club members; i personally find that much more interactive.

I think many RCU users seem to equate number of forum posts with RC experience and therefore value of opinion. This is not necassarily a true assessment.

Incidently, I comment far more on the modelflying.co.uk forum; That forum seems much more 'mellow'.
    Chris

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.

I think it's kinda funny how when you ask for someone's opinion, they are more than happy to give it to you. But then when you don't actually act or agree with their opinion they get very offensive. How come people don't realize your asking for an "opinion" not to be commanded to do things their way?I've always believed to listen to everyone, learn and then make a decision on the way you want to do it.

skeeter

Can't we all just get along.
    \"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission\".

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'll read most anyones opinion, but opinions are like belly buttons...everybody has one, this also includes 'expert opinions'. Itake them all with a grain of salt, because in the end it is me alone that is responsible fo my own stuff.
    To err is human, to really mess things up requires government involvement

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I know my RCU viewing pleasure increased exponentially when I eliminated reading the AMA forum. Otherwise most of it is pretty good.
    It seemed to be a lot better a few years ago for some reason. I'm not really sure why that has changed.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I for one enjoy the opinions of the folks on the many RCU forums. Yes, some times it gets out of hand. Still there is many good things to be picked up on RCU. My first few times on RCU were very disappointing. There was three guys posting pretty heavy on many of the forums from my area. They appeared to be experts in all matters of radio control flying. As soon as I figured out who these guys were is when I became so disappointed. Not one of the three could fly. So, as suggested, you must figure these things out. However for the most part it has become a fun thing to do. Reading the many opinions. I can only hope this year will be as rewarding as the past years.
    My you all have a very Blessed New Year.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Either way, its a long way from waiting for the next months magazine to show up and hoping it has information germain to your current project or hoping that the "expert" at your field of 10 people actually know's what they are talking about

I agree, post count means nothing about knowlege or experience
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's like any other large group of guys. There are going to be a few of every type in a bunch. While I don't understand a know it all who thinks there is only one way to do things, he may think getting several opinion is foolish.

David
    I never want to see a crash. But I don't want to miss one either.