Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why can't RC flying be more like Bowling?

Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why can't RC flying be more like Bowling?

I like Bowling. It's a fun way to spend time with others, I enjoy it. Unlike RC flying, bowling is simple, not a lot of rules or nomenclature to learn.

With RC, if I want to share my experience with others, there is a whole raft of words I have to learn: parts of the airplane, movable thingies, gas that's gasoline and gas that's not, nitro (don't have to know what it is, but it sounds cool) engine tuning, HSN, LSN. Engine/moter thrust offset. Volts, watts, amps, ESC, BEC (for those of us who don't know an electron from a futon, that's daunting).

Bowling is simple: the round thing is a "ball" or "bowling ball", the things on your feet are "bowling shoes", the polished wood floor with gutters on each side is the "lane", the 10 pieces of wood at the end are "pins". Roll the ball down the lane, knock over as many pins as you can, repeat.

It's so much easier to share my bowling experiences with others. Count the number of pins downed, number of beers, etc. Actually, beer count is optional.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:45 AM
cutaway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Why can't RC flying be more like Bowling?

The "rules" are for safety and to (help) ensure success.

Even small electrics are capable of sending you to an emergency room for stiches, larger planes can send you or someone else to the morgue. A number of people over the years have been killed by model aircraft. Its not something to be treated lightly. Many more have lost fingers and/or had permanent nerve/tendon/ligament damage inflicted.

The "rules" of physics and aerodynamics all aircraft are subject to are immutable and unbending. Fail to learn them and your wallet will suffer the consequences quickly and repeatedly.

Fail to learn the "rules" of handling/charging LiPo batteries and you can burn your house or car to the ground.

Following rules is why aircraft work. Is not as easy as bowling because its a vastly more complicated activity. In some ways its harder than flying a commercial jet because YOU are your own ground and maintenance crews and have far more responsibility for mechanical and electricral aspects of the aircraft than a commercial pilot does. A significant percentage of crashes are due to failures that existed on the ground before it ever took off. Attention to seemingly boring detail matters.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 AM
flyallday

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC is not for everyone. Bowling is not for everyone. If I flew like I bowled, I would get out of RC! I for one enjoy all the technical aspects as much as flying but there are some (like my brother-in-law) that can't hold a screwdriver...

Harry
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hate smelly shoes, thus only fly RC
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In certain ways they are similar. I'll bet when bowling you can get 10 different opinions from 10 different people about how you grip the ball, release the ball, polish the ball, etc... especially right after you split or throw a gutter !
Old 01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I never could bowl mode 1 !!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:18 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not fast enough!
Old 01-08-2012, 04:30 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 AM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RC isn't complex. All you need to know is:

Fuel goes in this hose, comes back out this one, these two screws control how much goes into the engine, and the two sticks tell it what to do. You don't need to know the science behind why that engine turns fuel into noise or why the wings can hold ten pounds of balsa and aluminum above your head like that in order to fly. The rules aren't even complex. Don't fly over the pits, don't stick yer hand in the prop, don't drink the fuel, engines get hot, charge lipos in a fireproof container, and you're pretty much golden.

Don't overcomplicate something that doesn't need to be complicated. You don't need to know the physics of how it stays up there, just that it has to be going forward at a certain speed to do it, what each stick makes the airplane do, and that there's fuel in the tank when you land.

And don't stick your hand in the prop.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

I like Bowling. It's a fun way to spend time with others, I enjoy it. Unlike RC flying, bowling is simple, not a lot of rules or nomenclature to learn.

With RC, if I want to share my experience with others, there is a whole raft of words I have to learn: parts of the airplane, movable thingies, gas that's gasoline and gas that's not, nitro (don't have to know what it is, but it sounds cool) engine tuning, HSN, LSN. Engine/moter thrust offset. Volts, watts, amps, ESC, BEC (for those of us who don't know an electron from a futon, that's daunting).

Bowling is simple: the round thing is a ''ball'' or ''bowling ball'', the things on your feet are ''bowling shoes'', the polished wood floor with gutters on each side is the ''lane'', the 10 pieces of wood at the end are ''pins''. Roll the ball down the lane, knock over as many pins as you can, repeat.

It's so much easier to share my bowling experiences with others. Count the number of pins downed, number of beers, etc. Actually, beer count is optional.
I hate bowling.

Walk in, the place is so noisy I can't think. All the lanes are busy, no place to sit quietly, have to sit at the bar, listen to the racket and buy something.

Either you buy your own bowling shoes, or you have to RENT some smelly, bacteria-laden pair from the greasy proprietor in the sleeveless shirt. And the house balls... ever wonder whose slimy fingers have been in those things?

Then when a lane finally opens up, there's a whole series of meaningless protocol with which I must comply. Only one bowler up at a time, you only get one lane, you have to toe a line, and you can't cross another line - and there are penalties! The ball has to go down a specific corridor, and there are complex ways to control which way it goes. The pins don't always fall down like they should. If the #7 and #10 stay up, good luck picking up THAT spare.

Then there's scoring, what a mess! Some things add at one time, but not at others. I understand there are automatic scoring devices at some new places, but who's gonna trust THEM?

The worst part is the hustlers. Always wanting you to join this league, or buy that product, or listen to some story, all a big ripoff. Speaking of which, when's the last time you got mugged in the flying field parking lot?

Bowling. Pffffttth.
Dave Olson
Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 AM
RCVFR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Scar

Bowling is simple: the round thing is a ''ball'' or ''bowling ball'', the things on your feet are ''bowling shoes'', the polished wood floor with gutters on each side is the ''lane'', the 10 pieces of wood at the end are ''pins''. Roll the ball down the lane, knock over as many pins as you can, repeat.

I hate bowling.

Walk in, the place is so noisy I can't think. All the lanes are busy, no place to sit quietly, have to sit at the bar, listen to the racket and buy something.

Either you buy your own bowling shoes, or you have to RENT some smelly, bacteria-laden pair from the greasy proprietor in the sleeveless shirt. And the house balls... ever wonder whose slimy fingers have been in those things?

Then when a lane finally opens up, there's a whole series of meaningless protocol with which I must comply. Only one bowler up at a time, you only get one lane, you have to toe a line, and you can't cross another line - and there are penalties! The ball has to go down a specific corridor, and there are complex ways to control which way it goes. The pins don't always fall down like they should. If the #7 and #10 stay up, good luck picking up THAT spare.

Then there's scoring, what a mess! Some things add at one time, but not at others. I understand there are automatic scoring devices at some new places, but who's gonna trust THEM?

The worst part is the hustlers. Always wanting you to join this league, or buy that product, or listen to some story, all a big ripoff. Speaking of which, when's the last time you got mugged in the flying field parking lot?

Bowling. Pffffttth.
Dave Olson

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 AM
CashD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bowling is simple: the round thing is a "ball" or "bowling ball", the things on your feet are "bowling shoes", the polished wood floor with gutters on each side is the "lane", the 10 pieces of wood at the end are "pins". Roll the ball down the lane, knock over as many pins as you can, repeat.

You have defeated your own argument!

You talked about a simple thing like flying a model plane and compared it to something complex that requires pins, lanes, gutters, shoes, balls, spin, apples, benders, hooks, splits, spares, big fills, big fives, big fours, bedposts, alleys, people "addressing" the ball, arrows, boxes, bonuses, belly balls, body english, creepers, deflection, delivery, dovetails, double wood, foul lines, grasshoppers, grooves, woolworths, kresges, lofting...and it goes on and on and on. ( http://www.bowlersparadise.com/help/glossary.shtml)

I'll stick with the simple models thank you!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And don't even get me started on FISHING! Bleah!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Scar

And don't even get me started on FISHING! Bleah!

Fishing is simple. You just hang a hook on a string, toss it over the side of a boat, then drink beer for eight hours or until something bites, whichever comes first.

[&:]
Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Stew99

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think RC is a lot like golf and fishing: you have a lot of expensive equipment that has to be well maintained, you have to plan your outings ahead of time and make sure your equipment in packed and in good order, you usually have to drive some distance to a designated area and you have to constantly check the weather.

The difference in RC is that when you go to work on Monday and tell someone you finally accomplished a perfect rolling circle they look at you like you are from another planet.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 AM
tommygun32

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, to really simplify it and answer the OP's question of: "Why can't RC flying be more like Bowling?"

Because then RC would be called Bowling...[&:]

Kind of like why it's called "Fishing" instead of "Catching" or "Hunting" instead of "Harvesting" [:-]
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 AM
foodstick

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A lot of my take off runs look like a ball with a heavy spin going down the lane !

I have seen crashes that looked like everything from a STRIKE, to 7-10 split !

the automated lanes return the ball to you, the earth returns the planes to KITS !

As you release the ball, or if you have lost rc contact.. either way you AINT got it !
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bowling and RC will both lead to bad knees!  [8D]
Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bowling and RC are a lot alike for me, both allow me to send an object hurtling into space at high velocity with the potential to crash into something.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why not just do both?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huae5XZFIao

Regards,

Astrohog
Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bowling Deaths Double in 2006

http://takenforranted.com/bowling-deaths-double-56/
Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 AM
RCVFR

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

astrohog, that is too cool. Hovering with a purpose: what will they think of next?