Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where do you like to fly?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Where do you like to fly?

Any departure from the ideas of the large percentage of self righteous, holier than thou's on RCU is prohibited and you will be left open for cursing, flaming, degrading, insulting, and embarrassment.

I don't fly at any three of the clubs here, but fly with a group of us we call the "Back roads, and hope we don't lose our plane out in the hills Group".

We're lucky here in Northern Nevada to have a whole lot of open spaces everywhere. Most of it is owned by the Feds. That ought to light a few of the "holier than thou's" candles........LOL

Imagine what would happen if there was an accident on Federal land.............................................. ...............................................

Is that stirring the pot?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:17 AM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did not like the way either of the fields that clubs were set up. Too many risks with too many things like parking lots and other activities around them.
I also did not like the restrictive flying rules or patterns as a result of where these fields were.
At the one field there were entirely too many people that did not follow the rules. I guess they were special.
But in my time I have had many near accidents and seen people injured by people like this.
I am fortunate enough to live in an area where I have lots of places to go where nobody is going to get hurt and there will be no property damage as there is simply nothing at the site that I fly at except me in most cases.
I do have a couple of friends that on rare occasions come out with me but we know each others habits well and trust one another.
And I am getting older, but I have also run into some old timers that just plain forget things that has caused problems at club fields too.
My final straw was that when an old timer forget to secure his large model, started the motor and had it take off and impact very near where I was at the time. I just shook my head and was glad that I did not get hit by his large prop and put my gear in the van and left.

I chose to leave many of those situations behind. And what I have discovered in doing so is that it's more enjoyable to me.
And at my stage of life I don't have to explain it to anyone.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM
JohnB96041

I have my own flying field which is 3 miles from my house. I maintain the site and use it almost exclusively. However, I am a member of a club that is about 65 miles away and really enjoy going there and flying with others. I always test fly my new models at my field then go to the club field for some fun. For safety purposes I always take a family member with my to my field for test flights.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: krashkart

I just did not like the way either of the fields that clubs were set up. Too many risks with too many things like parking lots and other activities around them.
I also did not like the restrictive flying rules or patterns as a result of where these fields were.
At the one field there were entirely too many people that did not follow the rules. I guess they were special.
But in my time I have had many near accidents and seen people injured by people like this.
I am fortunate enough to live in an area where I have lots of places to go where nobody is going to get hurt and there will be no property damage as there is simply nothing at the site that I fly at except me in most cases.
I do have a couple of friends that on rare occasions come out with me but we know each others habits well and trust one another.
And I am getting older, but I have also run into some old timers that just plain forget things that has caused problems at club fields too.
My final straw was that when an old timer forget to secure his large model, started the motor and had it take off and impact very near where I was at the time. I just shook my head and was glad that I did not get hit by his large prop and put my gear in the van and left.

I chose to leave many of those situations behind. And what I have discovered in doing so is that it's more enjoyable to me.
And at my stage of life I don't have to explain it to anyone.

Sounds like you are exactly where you need to be. Why waste time posting your position here?
Old 02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
krashkart

Because others apparently thought that they needed to criticize my judgment and decisions.
To me it's like fly fishing.
I won't fish where others disturb the fish and kids throw rocks in the water while I am there either.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:12 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Birds of a feather flock together.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
quiltsfly

Krashkart, can you tell me where you fly in Arizona, I too like flying alone or with just a few friends that enjoy flying and chatting about flying. I live in San Tan Valley, AZ so if your are within a reasonable distance I would enjoy joining you some weekend for some great flying and airplane talk.

Thanks,
Quiltsfly
Old 02-01-2012, 10:24 AM
hutchis
My Feedback: (8)

At the end of my pier on a summer evening, as the sun goes down and the river is like glass. It's my own flying space, I make my own rules (safe of course), and have my favorite summer beverage next to me. Touch and goes until its too dark to see.....
Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 AM
krashkart

You and I are some 125 miles away as I am up north between Flagstaff and Prescott Valley. That's a long commute to fly!

ORIGINAL: quiltsfly

Krashkart, can you tell me where you fly in Arizona, I too like flying alone or with just a few friends that enjoy flying and chatting about flying. I live in San Tan Valley, AZ so if your are within a reasonable distance I would enjoy joining you some weekend for some great flying and airplane talk.

Thanks,
Quiltsfly
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

What happens if you get injured by a prop, your own plane or just have a heart attack when you are there alone..? Just thinking......
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Your mom's house!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I like to get out to the field very early and get my flying done when alone or with one or two others. This worked mostly on Sundays whenmost of the guyswere in church (Deep South). Then I hung around after I was done flying for the comraderie.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the way I want to go. With the transmitter in my hand and my favorite plane flying off into the sunset !
Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I just love being one of those club field flyers.  It's like being one of the elephants at the Barnum and Bailey circus that holds the creatures tail in front of them and strolls around the arena in circles in cadence.  I have 40 open acres in north Collin County, Texas that if anyone wants to come fly on is fine with me.  Let's build a field and a club and hold each others tails lol. No defamation here.  I fly with a couple of buddies with approval from our City Police where we fly and don't have to wait in line.  It's 45 minutes to the nearest decent AMA field.  That's 7 flights locally. 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:35 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I build subdivisions so i can fly in the second faze of the one iam in now .It has a big detention pond for my seaplanes and a 2000 ft paved street to land by the pond. I fly at my club field and at a local high school that has a huge paved section . My parents have 5 ackers and the back 3 are mowed for foam planes and a little larger . In spring and summer i attend 10 or so water funflys at different clubs in IL and IN . I scratch build in the winter but i have been known to take my new plane off the work bench and run it around the room making silly engine noises. Iam way over 50 and my girlfriend and son are use to this noise but i keep the workshop door as not to alarm them to much. lmao joe just a big kid flying every where
Old 02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I really prefer the camaraderie. I'd rather be with a large group and not even get a flight in than to be out flying by myself.
I am with you, Minnflyer... to me, a big part of the hobby is just getting to talk to people who have the same interests as I have. Even egging on a little sillyness (safely of course) to the tune of "thats as low as you can go??? the nose wheel is still attached!! Love me some Hangar talk!!

Craig..

Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
fly24-7

ORIGINAL: krashkart

Because others apparently thought that they needed to criticize my judgment and decisions.
To me it's like fly fishing.
I won't fish where others disturb the fish and kids throw rocks in the water while I am there either.
Dude, that's what happens when you ask the opinion of others. You get them! Good and bad... Seems to me that you asked the question looking for affirmation of your choice. If you feel so strongly that your choice is right for you, it doesn't matter what any of us think.

I don't think any one option is better than others. It's all what you're looking for out of the hobby. As long as your not violating any laws (which you may be if you don't have approval from the property owner to fly there) or endangering people or property, fly away...

Oh, and I fly at a club. 15 minutes from my house. With a 800x50 ft paved runway. With a fairly unobstructed flight area. With a bunch of politically motivated DBs running the club. And with a bunch of guys that I consider great friends as well. There's no utopia...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM
krashkart

My question was where you do fly~~
Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 PM
fly24-7

Understand that. But you did more than ask the question. You wrote a mini novel about your experience with clubs and described the site you choose to fly at. Don't tell me this is the first thread you've ever read on RCU? Put that much info in a post and you're inviting comment on ALL OF IT...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:19 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If this question refers to site location I'll answer by saying I fly from a packed clay surface. The site is a dry lake bed located in Southern California. I carved out a runway and pit location that reminds me of an actual rural desert airport. The runway is about 800 ft in length and about 25 ft in width. It is set-up for the prevailing winds which are normally west to east. Myself and a few other fly both fixed and rotary wing aircraft on this site and it makes an excellent environment to pratise your landing and takeoff skills.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
BobbyMcGee

ORIGINAL: Desertlakesflying

Any departure from the ideas of the large percentage of self righteous, holier than thou's on RCU is prohibited and you will be left open for cursing, flaming, degrading, insulting, and embarrassment.

I don't fly at any three of the clubs here, but fly with a group of us we call the "Back roads, and hope we don't lose our plane out in the hills Group".

We're lucky here in Northern Nevada to have a whole lot of open spaces everywhere. Most of it is owned by the Feds. That ought to light a few of the "holier than thou's" candles........LOL

Imagine what would happen if there was an accident on Federal land.............................................. ...............................................

Is that stirring the pot?
I prefer to depart from the self-righteous and overwhelming majority. I enjoy doing things contrary to their thinking because it gets them upset.
Basically, I'm not happy until they're not happy!!!

It's a good motto to live by!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:08 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Our club has only a few members. Mostly there is only one plane in the air, maybe two.
We do not have any regulations on who can fly how and for how long.
Since we are next to a full scale airport you have to have a spotter, so there has to be a second person
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
fourstar40
My Feedback: (27)

I fly in the air.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 PM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

I fly off private property together with my friends. The local "official" clubs are too full of pompous self-important donkey rear ends so they can kiss my rear end.

Flying is supposed to be fun and clubs are not supposed to be a vehicle for self-appointed Nazi's to mess with people. Pity that many "official" clubs tend to be run by such people.

Life is too short to waste valuable flying time dealing with such negative people.

Bliksem
Old 02-01-2012, 07:13 PM
ES CONTROL

Hands down.   The club field.  It has saved me lots of $$$!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.