Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Club/Field with multi hobbies.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club/Field with multi hobbies.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Warwix
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club/Field with multi hobbies.

Hey all. Just wanted to toss out a quick question to the members on the forums to see if any AMA clubs out there offer more than just flying at their fields. Our club is currently in a repopulating stage and in the brainstorming process of how to boost our member base an idea was brought up to possibly add an area for rc off road cars and trucks. The land we have for our field has the capability to not only host such a track but it would not be in any way encroaching on the current flying field or our control line circle. Besides the work needed to put this track in place, are there any restrictions or problems that come to mind when adding another facet to a current flying only field (i.e. AMA restrictions, radio interference, ect.) Any help or input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Club/Field with multi hobbies.

yeah i have heard of clubs like that....i think they are called rc parks... i personallu wouldnt want to fly my planes hearing the high pitch sounds rc cars makes....but i would really enjoy a body of water o try float flying.... wishful thinking
Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 AM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My primary club and field has a beatiful controlline circle and its there only because I did all the grading and rolling as well as pay entirely for the concrete. Club members did provide considerable help during the concrete pour.

I fly there perhaps several times a month and have introduced just a few other into the joys of Ukie. We did contribute to the international Ringmaster flyday not to long ago and one of the fellows I have trained in RC and now working on controlline. He is particularly deserving and I feel very good about this student who is a fellow gympy guy in a chair.

Another positive out of developing the circle and encouraging controlline is one of the fellow who I solo'd has now taught his daughter how. She is thirteen and disliked the RC but was fascinated about the controlline requesting to learn. So I delveloped a trainer just for her and she has done very well.

This Controlline project is going to become her Four H project soon and other girls are getting involves so I and some of the other club members have made up kits of this trainer.

Now about the RC Cars. Since we are fortunate to have a large facilty for such a complex. This subject has come up often and there have even been vote on whether or not to pursue it and it was. However a problem came up and that is yes there are some venues in town with regular racing but when we approched each of the venues or everyone who could be considered a leader the answer was always the same and that was "when you get it built, let us know"

There was zero interest in those folks getting involved in the building of such a place unless we the airplane club did it all for them. Well that killed that. It seemed they only wanted a turn key operation.

John

Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM
Warwix

Thanks for the feedback. Our club has always had a control line circle incorperated in our field and it is something we pride ourselves on still having that most other clubs don't offer. This year we will again be holding our annual control line contest that has been going on longer that many of us can remember.

As far as the cars and trucks go, our tentative placement of the dirt track is going to be about 200 yards away from the flight line of the airstrip. I'm sure they will still be able to be heard, but we don't think that the sound will be an issue.

Luckily we already have some car guys in our club that are willing to start the groundwork for the track and spread the idea around to local offroad guys. Interest has been shown from some of their friends due to the fact that the few local tracks in the area are now starting to get limited by the noise, allowing electrics only. If we continue to persue this avenue for new members, Iwill update this thread with anything that goes on. Please continue to send any thoughts or feedback on the subject as it is what I came here for.

Matt
Signal Seekers RC Club of Michigan
Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

One of the clubs I fly at put in a car track and a helicopter area. The car area has a large dirt course and a paved oval track. The helicopter area has a paved landing area and was built for those who want to fly 3D. Work to create the areas was done by the specific club members who ultize those areas. The car track is far away from the other fields separated by woods so it keeps the noise (whine) way down.
Folks on the car and heli areas have to be on 2.4g as the flying field still has fliers using 72.
The arrangement works well with everyone. To the best of my knowledge there were no AMA hoops to jump through to make this happen.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
GPutt33
My Feedback: (2)

One of the fields here in Wyoming is exactly what your talking about. I don't have the web site handy right now, but do a search for the Wyoming Modelers Park Assc. in Riverton Wyoming. I have flown there several times. The RC track is far enough away I've never heard the cars. Pretty nice layout and they get help from the city somehow.

Here is the link to their website and they have a pretty cool drawing of the facility - [link=http://www.wyomingmodelerspark.com/default.aspx]Wyoming Modelers Park[/link]
Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have had people run cars at our field, and the previous property owner allowed us to use a pond at the base of the hill for RC boats, but the new owner is concerned about migratory waterfowl. Some of us when there isn't Radio flying going on, do some CL and FF flying there as well. Anbd I've flown a couple boomerangs there also. We're not predjudiced. In fact, we even allow RC helicopters.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

We have a lake next to our flying field we use for our float flys. There are "migratory waterfowl" there , on the water, on the shore, on the field, and even on our runway at certain times of the year. The planes,boats, etc...shoo them away but it's only temporary. They come right back the same night or following day ! We have hawks, bald eagles, and other birds as well not to mention, deer, bear, and coyotes, and we coexist just fine.