Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Giant scale 3d pilot Randy Hammond found dead in his home

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Giant scale 3d pilot Randy Hammond found dead in his home

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:32 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant scale 3d pilot Randy Hammond found dead in his home

I thought I would pass this on after receiving an E-mail from our AVP. I remember Randy from his attendance at our Weslaco TX airshows through the years. He was one of the best giant scale pilots I have ever seen fly! Rest in peace, Randy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18004.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	1726902  
Old 02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Giant scale 3d pilot Randy Hammond found dead in his home

My condolences...I met Randy a couple of times at our airshows, and was always helpful and answered any questions i had... R.I.P Randy
Old 02-14-2012, 02:06 PM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Randy was member of our club The Brazoria County Modelers Assc.. He was a good person and rarley had an ill word to say. He was a close personal friend of mine, I will miss him. He was an excellent pilot in all regards and I learned alot from being his friend. My condolences go out to his family and everyone who knew him.

R.I.P. Randy C. Hammond
Old 02-14-2012, 02:52 PM
crashingnow2

I'll always remember Randy as always having a smile and a witty remark and as always willing to help a new pilot.
I will miss him at the flying field
RIP Randy.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I met Randy several years ago through the BCMA flying club. He was mostly flying giant scale aerobatic ships and very skilled at it I might add. He was immediately very friendly to me and offered advice, help, and humor whenever possible.

Since I was mostly flying smaller Cox powered models, he often ribbed me about my models. It was all in fun and I always enjoyed the joking back and forth. Once, he was talking politics with another giant scale flyer and picked up one of my 1/2A models and ran over to him and said that, “When the government gets through taxing you, your models are gonna look like this one.†It was hilarious.

He loved to tease me about my Cox engines but I handed him the transmitter more than once while flying my planes and he always grinned the whole time, admitting how much fun it really was. One day he was flying one of my models without landing gear that I just land in the grass when the fuel is exhausted. When it died, he asked where I wanted him to land it. I said anywhere in the grass will be fine. Out of habit, he belly landed the model precisely on the centerline of the paved runway, skidding to a halt. Shrugged his shoulders and said, “Some habits are hard to break.â€

In between flying, we liked to talk about old motorcycles, something outside of this hobby that we both enjoyed. I will miss his smile and never-ending humor.

Rest in Peace, Randy!

Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM
SportFlyer3

He will definitely be missed...R.I.P. and Godspeed...
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Here's a nice pic of him flying 3D, and a pic of him chatting it up, two things he did very well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89887.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1727181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32081.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1727182  
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Metallica,

I remember that day quite well, we had 25-35mph crosswind gusts and Randy made it look like there was no wind at all! He is on my short list of top 3d pilots that I have had the privilege to see fly in person!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

I remember that day quite well, we had 25-35mph crosswind gusts and Randy made it look like there was no wind at all! He is on my short list of top 3d pilots that I have had the privilege to see fly in person!
I couldn't agree more Kurt
Old 02-15-2012, 06:38 AM
jbdww

OMG. I borrowed some JB Weld from him at our last Oktoberfest here in Austin and got to hear a bunch of stories from him. He was a very nice guy. I also took a picture of him flying and of his airplane that he was flying that week

R.I.P.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

randy my brother...........you will be missed by sooooooooooooooo many as you always kept us laughing and admiring your skills on the sticks RIP my friend

your old friend and buddy as always

gregg bingham
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Xtremeflyr
My Feedback: (5)

Randy will be greatly missed but never forgot...

Randy M...
Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Xtremeflyr

I know that Randy is standing right now in Heaven at gods airshow at show center showing his stuff, praticing his routine so that when we all get there he will still be better than us,,, I am glad Randy was in my life cause it made my life so much better,, laughing, joking, sitting around in the famous circle of knowledge after fly-ins talking about the days good and bad happenins,,, too many memories to say all of them. Randy will be greatly missed ,,, but he will never be forgot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy M..
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
RedNeck Pilot

Randy was a great guy and I always enjoyed watching how easy he made 3d flying look and it was always nice when he came out to the bcma flying field since there was only a few of us that flew mainly aerobatic planes. He was the one that got me interested in wanting to fly aerobatic and 3d planes when I first got started flying and now it will be hard to go to a fly-in that he usually goes to and he won't be there. RIP buddy.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
gekiefer

Randy was a true freind over the years. We bgan flying RC together in 1986 at BCMA and beleive it or not, I actually helped him on the buddy box with his first ARF, affectionalte called the flying chlorox bottle. Within 2 weeks of his first flight, Randy was doing high speed inverted passes with a high wing trainer, something not possible by mere mortals. The rest is history, his 3-D skills put him in world class comapny but he was always more comfotable in the cmpany of his friends and flying at his leisure.

You wil truly be misse my friend!

Garry Kiefer
Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

You all have my condolences on the loss of your flying buddy Randy , , , , , Rest in peace and eternal blue skies ......
Old 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM
flyinwalenda

I didn't know him but reading all the responses from those who did I'm sure Randy was a good guy to be around. Prayers to his family and good thoughts to his friends and fellow flyers.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:36 PM
jcflyboy

Randy,
I will always remember our stimulating day to day conversations, our jokes, our times on road trips, our fun at the flying fields, your genuine unique personality and all the good times we had together. Most of all I'm going to miss your true FRIENDSHIP. I'm going to miss you BRO.
R.I.P. Randy

Craig
Old 02-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Vmceachern

I will miss him greatly, luckily I have lots of past memories.RIP
Old 02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
RCBuilder42yrs

"Yesterday"(the song) comes to mind when I think of Randy. As I sat and listened to the many Friends of Randy begin to tell stories of his flying prowess. I learned of two of Randy's other passions that he became "Legendary" doing... Motocross and "Guitar Pickin"!

Gone way to Soon, Randy

I'm very grateful for the time that I was able to witness his flying skills. He inspired me to begin learning some of the basic 3D manuevers knowing I will most likely never attain Randy's skill, it certainly has made me expand my efforts in trying to copy just a few of the many many things Randy could do and make them look so darn easy!

Ohhhhhh and Randy this is just for you..... I did rub my fingers all over your Spinner the last time you were at the FBRCC! <LMAO>

Gotcha Last!!!!