Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Site problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Site problems

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

thebluemax
That makes no difference for me,,,

It really getting to the point the site is unusable when half the time you click on something and you get something like this

Server Error
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
And then I come back to this thread and 4-5 guys have posted in the thread I've just had issues with,, This makes me think the sever is locking you out. Works for a while,, then you get the boot,,, have to wait 15-20 minutes,, then come back and it works again, ,That seams to be the scenario for me.

Interesting as I have not had that issue at all since I made the change. Guess Ihave been very lucky andone of the 4-5 that gets in. Hope they get it worked out soon.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some guys wait very long anyway...with there dial ups and bottem end phone lines....
They wouldn't know anybetter...

The site has been much slower EVERYTIME....

Fast connection, and I have yet to have a Post-new owner server up to the task....

Rcuni...was good but lately...it has been bickering on the furum posts (winter thing) and slow running servers....

Too much timre on there hands......no flying and just sitting...
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The web masters just need to shut this site down and fix it,,,

BV
a long time user of RCU
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: collector1231

We should hold a fundraiser for new servers, so we dont have to keep using these old bandaged ones. Just a thought. P.S; how old are the servers?
Actually, it ran fine on the old servers because the software was customized for them, it was when they put it on newer servers that it went haywire
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Doesn't that tell you it's the servers that are the problem??
Old 02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, it's not the servers. It's like trying to use a piece of software that was designed for Windows 3.0 on Windows 7

Windows 7 is fine, but the software wasn't designed for it
Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM
scale only 4 me

With all due respect Mlke,, when my troubles are consistently as I described back on post 25,, this leads me to believe the servers have a built in overload program that drops members if they've been logged on too long,, Just a minute ago I had to go away from RCU for 10 minutes,, then I come back and everything work just fine again.. How this jives with what you're saying I don't know.

Hope it get fixed soon,, because it's a drag
Old 02-16-2012, 06:17 PM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Hey guys, I'll weigh in here. I programmed the entire RCU site EXCEPT the forums (Marc handled that). I ran this beeyotch for longer than I care to recall. Marc lived and breathed this stuff with me. The errors you see are software related and don't have anything to do with hardware. We had a clustered set of 5 front-end servers and dual database servers on the back to handle the load. Marc was a genius at this and he kept it running very well. ANYTIME you move software and simultaneously try to get your head around it and make changes, stuff happens no matter how good you are.

I just moved one of my sports sites from one server at Rackspace to the Cloud Servers at Rackspace. Guess what? Crap happened because the software on the new servers is NEWER and doesn't support some of the old code I wrote. Takes time to figure this out. Now, as a developer, I can tell you that COMMUNITY goes a long way. It's easy to throw stones and it is damned frustrating as a user, but if you really like it here, help them fix it by dutifully reporting the type and frequency of errors (like you did in this post). It helps TONS!! Now, if they don't respond, there's nothing you can do and if it were me, I'd go start my own or join another. But if they do respond, hang with them.

Michael Kranitz, CEO
RC Pilot Magazine
www.rcpilot.com
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 AM
outdoorhunting

Thanks for the explination. I think that's what most of us want is to know that SOMEBODY is TRYING to take care of the problem. All in all, RCU is STILL the BEST .
Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made sure Compatibility View was checked under the tools menu and my problems went away.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
Old 02-19-2012, 05:47 PM
flyallday

Where is the tools menu?

Harry

ORIGINAL: KaP2011

I made sure Compatibility View was checked under the tools menuand my problems went away.

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
Old 02-19-2012, 07:03 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

That refers to the tools menu in Internet Explorer browser(if you are using it) not this website.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 AM
outdoorhunting

I'm usually on here a couple of times a day. ( I'm retired) It has been TOTALLY spotty for me, one time it kicks me off, takes forever to get to a post. The last couple of days, I've not noticed any problems. I went to the tools on my browser & the compatibility thingy was checked. Go figure ! The biggest pain for me is to type out a post ( using two fingers) & hitting the "post button" & get "timed out". Oh well, if THAT'S the only problem I have, I don't really have any problems !!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 AM
scale only 4 me

True, in the grand scheme of things it a pretty petty problem to have, But when you type out a long response then forget to copy it and it goes poof,, you're less likely to type it all up again,, then the site suffers.

It just seams it's be going on way too long with the same, "give it time"/"we're working on it" responses,, very very frustrating
Old 02-20-2012, 06:14 AM
outdoorhunting

Very true. I don't post as much as I used to. Of course, to some members that may be a good thing. Hahaha
Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 AM
scale only 4 me

And as far as Compatibility view,,that just changes how the info is displayed on your browse (if needed),, nothing to do with downloading info from a server. When IE8 came out I had major issues with that on our Church Web site that I managed. Everyone who upgraded was complaining to me about jumbled text on the screen until they and I discovered "compatibility view",, We ended up rebuilding the site with up to date software because mine was out of date. These type issues is Why Bill Gates is so rich,, built in obsolescence,, new software comes out,, you're forced to buy it.

If these issues are what we're being told,, why are the site owners still nursing this dinosaur around,, upgrade already

I started collecting the error messages just for fun,, got a new one in the classifieds today,, o joy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71170.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1729466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn42248.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1729467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20202.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1729468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10377.gif
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1729469  
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM
scale only 4 me

p.s.
The chassifieds does this other thing to me sometimes when I'm trying to upload photos,,

I'll "browse" select the picture, it will put in the path text but when I hit the "add photo" button, the Path text goes poof,, It's like bangin your head against the wall

And of course there is this that I've gotten no answer to,, http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10932483/tm.htm
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM
scale only 4 me

First time in a long time a whole day with no lock ups or error messages and just a few slow loading pages,, does this mean the site is fixed?? All the glitches tackled??
Old 02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

My problems are intermittant. What I have noticed is that on my wifes laptop, I have fewer problems and it runs just a little faster. (There are still issues, just fewer) I'm on my work laptop most of the time in my home office. I have to go through the firewalls at work which normally slows things down anyway since they check EVERYTHING for virus protection. It sometimes looks to me like there is a command timeout that occurs because of the firewall delay that may not be taken into consideration. When things go to hell here on my laptop, I can just switch to hers and it all seems fine. Just speculating here.
Edwin
Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
scale only 4 me

spoke too soon,,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54321.jpg
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1731444