Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

New Planes For Sale That Have Never Been Flown

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New Planes For Sale That Have Never Been Flown

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 AM
krashkart
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Planes For Sale That Have Never Been Flown

I seem to run into a lot of planes for sale that have never been flown. In fact it seems quite common.
Many have had these plane built for them so it's not as if they don't know someone in the hobby to help them learn to fly.
And in many cases the planes I run into for sale are not beginner planes at all as they are warbirds such as the P-51.
I ran into one of those the other day with a very large wingspan with retracts and all built by a guy for the guy who had it for sale.
He was simply afraid to fly it.
I will assume that most of these people get themselves into this position as they want to fly but have no guidance.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: New Planes For Sale That Have Never Been Flown

Some people have more Dollars the Sense
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

NOooo , , , , The ones with more $$ than sense are the ones trying to sell the various crashed remnants of the plane they bought and just HAD to fly before they were ready for it .........

Those selling a whole , intact airplane that they are afraid of crashing are usually just being realistic about their skills (or lack of em) , or have seen just how little the pieces are worth after the big Dirt Nap [:@]
Old 02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
krashkart

It's still sad to me to see people spending a lot of money to build a dream and then sell it in most cases for a big loss.
Then again, maybe it's better than trying to fly something they are not ready for.
In many cases these people I have run into are older like me, but have never flown in their lives.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
flyinwalenda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are the folks I look for ! 2/3 of my planes were bought used as new never flown or lightly used. Some just love to build and others fly them for a few flights,get bored and move on to a different one.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:44 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Some like to build; some like to fly,
Some like to build and fly,
Some like to buy.

Something for everyone!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: init4fun

NOooo , , , , The ones with more $$ than sense are the ones trying to sell the various crashed remnants of the plane they bought and just HAD to fly before they were ready for it .........

Those selling a whole , intact airplane that they are afraid of crashing are usually just being realistic about their skills (or lack of em) , or have seen just how little the pieces are worth after the big Dirt Nap [:@]
No No No,, the one's that crash have No Sence and less Cents
Old 02-15-2012, 02:00 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The hobby tends to create an appetite for fancy new planes faster than it builds the skills to fly them. From what I see, that happens the most in the intermediate stage when one has basic piloting skills and is really having fun with the hobby now. We make big plans and want to fly everything, and we get a real rush by acquiring more birds. But such a flyer often has not assimilated the hobby into his life yet, so other concerns can get in the way or the big plans get delayed and then the interest subsides or the fear sets in. Personally, I love guys who do that because I can find great deals on stuff I really want and will fly.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
krashkart

Most of the planes I have seen so far that have never flown were either ARFs that were 8-10 hours build or full kits that they ordered that did not have a clue about building.
They had the work done by someone else and in most cases it was a very nice job too.
The problem is that the guy that owns the plane has never flown in his life!
Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: init4fun

No No No,, the one's that crash have No Sence and less Cents
[8D] I'll totally agree with that !!!!

And yea , a few of the planes in my hangar are planes bought from others who were just not up to flying them , and wanted to cash out quick .... It really is a great way to get a nice plane cheaply , and while I do feel for the person who is loosing 50 to 60 % of their investment , , I figure its better than them actually trying to fly the darned thing and loosing 80 to 90 % (and maybe even 100 %) when they crash .... Its nice to have planes with so little $$ or time invested , , , Those planes tend to get flown "like ya stole it" as the expression goes ....
Old 02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Also remember, we are in very interesting and economically difficult & trying times; many folks are without jobs, or close to losing same, close to losing their homes, cars, etc., and may have purchased one or more extra kits or airplanes before, when times were good and great, and now have come to the realization that maybe one or two kits might be built and put up for sale, to make the next mortgage or car payment, or maybe help with a child's college tuition.....who knows for sure. Others, like me of late, may have gotten some less than good news from their Doctors', and must deal accordingly with that. Hey, check these items out carefully, maybe you can get a great deal; in others, sure, the stuff might be crashed or poorly assembled junk, but do not jump to conclusions, just be careful out there. There are as many different reasons for people selling stuff as there are people themselves.

In closing, just another guy's opinion, take it for what it is worth, best regards from the ever warm 'Valley of the Sun',

Joe Nagy
Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
outdoorhunting

I was foaming at the mouth for a buddie's P 51. I just Had to have it. It was BEAUTIFUL, in fact soo BEAUTIFUL it hung from my shop ceiling for two yrs before I traded it back. Just couldn't get myself to take the chance !!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I'm a guy that started out like most people crashing and or damaging my planes quite often, so I was always building them to keep up with demand! Well a strange thing happened, I quit damaging my planes and they started hanging around. I now have nine gas airplanes from 20cc to 116cc and my 125 glow funtana, I just don't have time to fly them all and also have my favorites that I fly more often. I have thought about selling a few of them that I don't fly much and know that I will take such a beating trying to sell them that I don't consider that an option. I got caught up in the addiction and rush of buying parts and airframes and I didn't quit until the maintainence of ten planes finally overwhelmed me! I still look at new planes on the different websites but I'm going on a year of plane buying sobriety in april and hope I can stay strong enough to resist the urge and make it, but it is always there! I'm really not that bad I have a buddy that has over 20 planes, so compared to him I'm not that addicted, well thats what I keep telling myself...LOL!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCVFR

Some like to build; some like to fly,
Some like to build and fly,
Some like to buy.

Something for everyone! [img][/img]

Right on AND why not? LOOK AT THE MARKET FOR PLASTIC AND NON-FLYING BUILT-UP MODELS. There are may folks that love to build models: ships/boats, trains, cars, buildings and whatever. Just the other day I saw in some TV or such a short article about some guy that had built - I forget the number - but well over a thousand ships - from toothpicks and they were beautiful.

For you youngsters, don't worry about what others do or don't do as long as they are not hurting YOU. Don't try to guess or analyze their finances. If some like to build and never fly then that is THEIR choice, not yours or mine. Enjoy WITH them their choice and be happy they have found something that helps this entire business stay in business.

Back in the 1970s I owned a Hobby Shop in Mt. Prospect, IL on NW Highway. I had a ball for a long time but finally I wanted to fly more so I sold it out to another HS.
One of my best friendly customers came in around the last of the year and would buy 4 to 8 of the then plentiful Control Line Scale kits. He never cared to fly them. He never professed to ever completing one. He told me that in the winter he loved to assemble the models in front of his TV after work and on weekends.
I questioned him a bit and even asked him to bring in his airplanes as the market was good for built or partially built models. (NO ARFs of much back then) He said he did not care to do so because when garden time came, he would just trash the stuff and start gardening. However he stopped by every so often to check out what was there, and talk a bit, but never really into the flying thing much. I enjoyed his conversations and he seemed to like mine. There are many potential friends out there, even if many are for a short time. Don't try to interfere with their enjoyment, as long as they don't try to tail touch on your head with a 3D.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I'm that guy.  I'm alot better builder than a pilot. I have grandeur dreams of flying some of my builds but once I get them done, they are just too goreous to wait the fate of my hand.  I have a Cap 232 with a 30cc gasser on it, never flown,  a Bobcat with a TH 75 on it that hasn't seen fuel, an 8' Profile custom build with a Moki 210 on it and hasn't seen fuel, another cap with a 20cc gas, never seen fuel. 
I've had some ugly beginner mistakes with too slow take off speed, not allowing for torque stall (prop wash) and have barrel rolled several really NICE planes over the years.  I just can't put that situation to the test with a new model.  If I really want to fly some of my newer builds, I'll solicit one of the better pilots at the field to get it up in the air first.  Once flown, the cherry is busted and I'm ok with them after that but the first time is like being on a date with Kim Kardashian.  I'd be stepping all over my tongue and looking like a total idiot. 
I spend way too much time making them as perfect as I can and I'm fairly fortunate that the kids are all gone and the colleges are paid for that I can spend decent money on decent equpiment to make these planes in excellent condition.  Much too nice to see them doing cartwheels at the end of a runway.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:16 AM
gwweber
My Feedback: (24)

LOL i like the deals on used planes and or new planes never flown, big issue is the noob builders. A used or never flown assembled plane usually takes just as long to get ready to fly as a new one. I find that every nut bolt and gluejoint needs to be checked. Save a lot of money, but not much time. All in all I have only bought one used plane that was very ready to fly and it was a joy. (great builder)
P.S. This was a hanger queen had to replace everything http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaxv4Js_iA
Old 02-16-2012, 07:21 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Same boat here. I have two left hands when it comes to build or repair but I love flying.
I always look for those deals, never flown fully assembled planes. They are cheap and most of the times nicely built. Of all my planes I only have 2 that I saw the box where they came from. 
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Also I think it's a business for some people, they build and sell them to make a few bucks
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: kurt2022
..... but I'm going on a year of plane buying sobriety in april and hope I can stay strong enough to resist the urgh.....
LOL!!! Me too!!! I'm allowing myself one plane this year, buying it in March/April. It'll be that plane and my Porter for the year. Gotta reel myself in a bit..
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Also I think it's a business for some people, they build and sell them to make a few bucks
I think a lot of guys get that idea in their heads but I can't imagine anyone actually making money at it. When used planes are selling for 30-50% of their new cost it's hard to make a case for spending the time and money getting a kit RTF and then selling it.

A couple of people have mentioned the fear of breaking stuff being the motivator for building and then not flying. I've found the simulator to be a great help on that. I don't fly any expensive planes because my budget just doesn't allow it, but there are certain maneuvers I've had a phobia about doing. Getting on the sim and doing them a few hundred times gave me the confidence to do them in real life, increasing my enjoyment of the hobby immensely. For those in that same boat, perhaps a copy of RealFlight or Phoenix would be a good investment to help get those pristine builds in the air.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
flyinwalenda

You would be on chicom wages if you built kits/arf's just to sell them. Folks who do this do it because they really enjoy building.
Building and selling planes that are your own proven design, nla kits, or planes that have never been kitted now that's another story.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:12 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Just my opinion but I have not seen many planes going for a bargin. Most if not all are listing for 20% below retail and I'm talking about used merchandize. This also applies to other R/C stuff not only airframes. Just take a look at items that come up relisted every month. I offered a fellow xdollars for a plane six months ago and he refused but that same plane has been relisted three times since than.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM
flyinwalenda

Well the planes and parts priced too high do sit and the ads get recycled. Items realistically priced tend to get offers and sell.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Your right but how many compared to those listed are reasonably priced.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
flyinwalenda

Oh absolutely the scale is leaning. Either folks don't really want to sell what they are advertising or they are hoping/waiting for an inexperienced buyer to take the hook. Everybody wants the most for what they try and sell !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.