Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Buying electric airplane components

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Buying electric airplane components

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 PM
bpelletier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying electric airplane components

Perhaps someone can help. I have a .60 size Hangar 9 Corsair that I plan to covert to electric. I know I need an electric motor, escapement and battery pack. I have been trying to purchase these from Hobbypartz but it seems that at least one or more of the items is perpetually "Out of Stock". I really like their prices, but am not sure if its worth the hassle trying to coordinate the purchase of these items so all in stock at the same time. Has anyone ordered from them? How can I best achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Buying electric airplane components

I'm betting you do not need an escapement...

that being said... have you tried a local shop so you can get guidance and support?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bpelletier

Perhaps someone can help. I have a .60 size Hangar 9 Corsair that I plan to covert to electric. I know I need an electric motor, escapement and battery pack. I have been trying to purchase these from Hobbypartz but it seems that at least one or more of the items is perpetually ''Out of Stock''. I really like their prices, but am not sure if its worth the hassle trying to coordinate the purchase of these items so all in stock at the same time. Has anyone ordered from them? How can I best achieve what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for the help.
Exeter Acres is correct, you don't need an escapement, but you could use some experienced help. I recommend at least asking at nearby clubs.

For discussion of Hobbypartz and Hobbyking, search RCU for the names (or use Google search and look at the RC Universe links that come up.) You'll find that there are issues with the company, and many buyers who buy in quantity and feel they get their money's worth even with some failed / wrong parts.

That said, I see this is your first post and you're making beginner inquiries about a .60 size warbird that is really not a beginner's plane. If you are new to flying RC, it would be appropriate to start with a more stable learning platform, like one of the many "trainers" available. Not only would that be more appropriate, but a good investment in terms of time-to-learn and preserving your warbird hardware.

Just my 2¢ worth,
Dave Olson
Old 02-15-2012, 03:55 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are confusing Electronic Speed Control(ECS) with ESCapement.
I've ordered from hobbypartz but they too suffer from the out of stock and long back orders problems. Look at valuehobby.com for what you need. They are in Il. , prices are good and shipping is only a few bucks.
You would need a 60 size electric motor like a Power 60( to keep it simple) or a motor rated around 400kv and 1400-1600 watts running a 14-16" prop. You would need about a 60amp ESC and a 5 or 6 cell lipo battery. Don't forget about the Battery Eliminator Circuit(BEC) ....basically a voltage regulator.....as some ECS's have them built in but I like to hook up an external BEC capable of running 5amps.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM
bpelletier

You folks are correct. I do need an electronic speed control and not an escapement. I just missinterpreted the abreviation "ESC". I have been flying RCairplanesfor about 35 years but am new to electric motors and batteries for planes. I appreciate the help with respect to where I might find the right components at the right price. Valuehobby.com soundslike a goodplace to look. I can go through Tower Hobby,but this will end up costing me about $500. I really want to keep the cost down. Tower has the RimFire 60, which looks to be about the right size motor for the Corsair. I'm thinking that a 6 Cell 3600 mAh battery would work well for my plane. Again, I am new to electric and welcome any advice.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 PM
flyinwalenda

If you are thinking of spending that much for the motor I would look at the eflite Power60 too. They run well and last long. You can do this for less money too looking at the Exceed MP 60, Emax 60, etc...
Try Headsuprc.com too as they have a lot of info on their motors listing specs using different lipos and props.

Also if you want to fly scale I would run a 5cell with a larger prop. Running a 6cell would put you at the max for the rimfire60 and you would have to run a smaller prop to keep it under the amp limit.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
exeter_acres

sometimes we have to all ask ourselves... do we want cheap...
or are we willing to pay a bit more for a quality product... that offers support should there be an issue... either upon delivery or down the road.....
Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 AM
dirtybird

Try rchotdeals.com I have had good luck with his equipment and its reasonable with quick shipping.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM
krashkart

Like you I flew gas but it was years ago. Some clubs are good and giving information while others are not.

i have had good luck with advise and parts at Heads Up RC and their shipping is fast and cheap. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFrontNote there is a section on that page that says "New to RC" that will give you lots of information to in links.

I have also had good luck with Horizon, they also ship fast. http://www.horizonhobby.com/

Hobby King is pretty good too for prices. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc If you want faster shipping buy from their USAwarehouse. If you order from overseas it will take time and never order what is out of stock as they charge your CC and it takes some time to get a credit back if your out of stock item is delayed. The other problem with overseas orders is warranties should you need a return.

Here are a couple of links that are pretty good reading~

http://www.scratchrc.com/RC-Electronics-Explained.html

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/watts-per-pound.html

Good luck, there is lots to learn about electric flying.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Edwin

BP Hobbies or Value Hobbies isnt too bad either.
Edwin
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a handful of orders from Leaderhobbies and they have been pretty good.

Motor. I have this one and it has been really good so far. Gives lots of power and smooth as can be. Looks like the same as my Monster power 60?

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224336

ESC

https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001220256

Prop adapter

http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...60-motors.html

I am running a 6s 5000mah 25c battery

Battery
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-5500-6s1p.html

Sky is the limit on "E" power.

Buzz.