Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Am I too young???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:19 AM
livefor rc guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I too young???

Just wondering. What is the average age of the members in this site because I am only 17. Most of the components that have been mentioned in these posts are quite expensive. A servo itself can be upwards of $250. I don't think this is a very good hobby for someone like me who is young and doesn't have enough money to buy anything...especially working at Dairy Queen. These thoughts and the research I've done are quite disheartening. But I love building these things with a passion. I don't want to stop just because i don't have enough money. If anyone has any insite into this, please share.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:25 AM
Hal-Lusk
My Feedback: (1)

Default never to young!

You must be getting some strange info. For $250. you can buy a used trainer ready to fly from someone and for a little more ( around $300) you can get one new with all the gear and ready to fly! Just be sure to get with someone who has good experience flying cause you will need instruction for the greatest success !
As far as age, my boy is 6 and is now training! Go for the hobby, it is a lifetime of enjoyment!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:28 AM
pdalton

Default Getting Started

I don't know where you have been looking into starting R/C, But for what you think a servo cost you can have a radio/w servos and a plane ready to fly. Look into some of the super combos listed with mail order houses. i.e. Tower Hobbies, etc..
Good luck,
pdalton
Old 08-28-2003, 01:33 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with the other post's. You need to surf the for sale forum's and look for the deals. There are several each week and they are good deals on name brand things. You might want to find a modeler in your area and seek some advice on what is a good start for you. If you become affiliated with a club, get in touch with an instructor and get some solid advice from him. If these options do not work for you, consult with some of the expertise here at RCU. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-28-2003, 01:37 AM
compute_a_nerd

I am only 15, and work at a movie theatre :-). I havent had that much of a problem financially.
thanks
Chris
Old 08-28-2003, 01:37 AM
Live Wire

Some one must be pulling your leg. Age does't mean much as long as you have the will to learn and improve . Go to a local club or flying sight and they will help you get started . You can put what you feel you can afford in this hobby . Don't talk to a sales man because!!!!!!! You can get better help from someone your own age and could find some one that has what you want that might need a little TLC.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Burger

Great to have you aboard! Find a good club in your area and visit. You'll get a bunch of good information from them and they may even have a club trainer you can learn to fly on while saving up to purchase a used or new one. I am jealous about one thing, you're back "home" in Wisconsin... I left there 20 years ago and have been wanting to go back ever since... maybe when I retire You might check out the SPAD planes too, until you can afford something else, just a thought... Good luck and enjoy the snow!!!!! GO PACKERS!!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:43 AM
livefor rc guy

Default please accept apology

I am honestly sorry. I got my info mixed up. The most expensive servo I have come across was $200. But still, that is a lot. Then with all the other equipment you have to buy. A nitro/gas engine, even a smaller one, is a pretty penny itself. And like i said, i work at Dairy Queen, lol, not the highest paying job. I guess I'm just pushing into this too fast. I want results now, not later when they will count even more. Thank you very much for your replies.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:03 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

First of all, Welcome to RCUniverse

Second, according to your previous post's you have a lot of questions. Its good you are asking them and this site is here to help.

Check this link Click Here It may list clubs close to you, and check out (LHS) Local hobby shops

There are many ways to get started in this hobby, but it can cost plenty, some cheaper ways is to buy used (localally preffered) setups from other flyers. Someone may have a trainer RTF (Ready to fly) or needs a little work. But go face to face with the hobby shop and clubs around you first. Most have training available some with their own planes, some will offer an intro flight on a buddy box.

You can build or buy ready to fly or all most ready to fly, there are Fighterbirds that are epp foam etc. There is many ways to go that don' cost a whole lot, but $150 up would be expected.

PS Sounds like You are pricing a complete 4-7 channel sytem? there are usually 4 servos in the complete system
Old 08-28-2003, 02:12 AM
Johnnylightning

I guess any age is welcome on RCU, but you're too young to drink and hire women.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:23 AM
glowplug

Hmmm......$200 servo.....sounds like the LHS where I bought my first trainer, engine and radio!

Seriously though, what everybody is saying is right....visit local clubs first..odds are, somebody would be happy to unload a used trainer setup on the cheap. Also, you said you really love building......you could buy a trainer kit to build, and buy a used engine and radio off of a club member.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:34 AM
Extra300s7
My Feedback: (36)

I started flying when I was 10. I bought all of my own equipment from money I earned on a paper route, which wasn't that much at all. Actually, I think the prices back then were more expensive. If I wanted something in particular and I couldn't afford it at the time, I would just put some money aside and save up for it. Don't let the price tag fool you, there are plenty of good deals out there, especially at your local flying field!

Justin

P.S. Don't get discouraged, this is the best hobby/sport on the planet!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:00 AM
adrian-RCU

go for it this is a great hobby - me and my brother have been at it for years and we are only 15 and 13(thanks to dad)

below a pic about 2 years ago
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105355_17526.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	59071  
Old 08-28-2003, 04:02 AM
adrian-RCU

another pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105356_17526.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	59072  
Old 08-28-2003, 04:03 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

$200 for a servo, that's ridiculous, I'll sell you one for half that price!

Maybe you could make a plane out of the waffle cones, if it crashed you could still eat it!
Old 08-28-2003, 09:50 AM
EagleOne

No, you're not too young. I'm 14 and started in this at 11....My parents buy everything for me, but they also teach me the cost of money (here in Brazil for a 14 year old to get a job, not only is illegal but you can only find it in agriculture....not for me)...BTW, back on topic, $200 dollars for a servo?? That mabybe the the Super High-Speed, high-torque, Ball Bearing everywhere, and who knows, gold plated.....hehe ...I heard it's possible to buy a standar servo (for a trainer you won't need more that this) in the US for about 12 bucks....But most radio systems already come with Servos, Receiver, battery...And you can get a pretty good radio system with $200...Add more 200 for the plane and engine and some more 100 for the acceseries and you are ready to go...You don't need to buy them at once....First buy the radio, the the plane, then the engine..and so on...

Also, as most guys already said, get a instructor, without it, although possible to learn on your own, you may loose your plane on the first flight.....

Hope it helps,
Old 08-28-2003, 11:05 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You came to the right place for help. Your at a great age, I started when I was 14 and was amazed with the help I got from other guys in this hobby. All you need to do is show interest and respect, and if you really want to fly, someone will help you. For years I flew with second hand stuff which was either donated or sold to me at really low prices. With help, you should be able to fly on your Dairy Queen salary. Although the planes were old and not in the greatest condition, I think made me a better modeler and pilot.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:14 AM
SDR-Hammer

Agreed this is not an inexpensive hobby. It may not be expensive for some, but when your just a kid the $400+ that it takes to get started is quite a chunk of change. Especially when you might be saving for your first car or the clunker you drive has a veracious appetite for parts and fuel. The $200 dollar servo is a good example of the extremes this hobby can reach, sure one can get involved into R/C relatively cheaper but to grow and expand in this hobby is where it really starts biting the pocket.

I was 20 when I started in this sport, going to school full time and working part time at minimum wage. After buying gas to get to school, and all the incidentals that come with being young and dumb, I didn't have much spare cash left to buy equipment. The secret you’re looking for is swap meets and club members. One can pick up used equipment at a much low price than new from either of these sources. That’s what I did when I got started and still do.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You CAN spend $200 for a servo. But why would you?

I know of a place where you can buy a fountain pen for $1800, but you certainly don't need one of those just to write a letter.

Start saving now, and buy a Kit. As you need other items (wheels, tank, covering etc.) you purchase them separately. Then start bugging mom and dad for a radio for Xmas.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Burger

Originally posted by BasinBum
$200 for a servo, that's ridiculous, I'll sell you one for half that price!

Maybe you could make a plane out of the waffle cones, if it crashed you could still eat it!
Another helpful post...
Old 08-28-2003, 01:22 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you make a t the DQ? Minimum wage or so? Let's say $5.50/hour. In an 8 hour day and another half of an eight hour day, you have made enough for an LA .46 engine.

3 more 8 hour days, and you have enough for an LT-40 trainer ARF. The BEST trainer in the world IMO.

4 more 8 hour days, and you have enough for a 6 channel Skysport. If you want to work another half day for your radio, you could afford a computerized 6 channel Futaba 6EXA.

In less than 2 weeks working, you could have everything you need, including support equipment, and fuel.

Yes, getting started in this hobby is at least going to cost $300 buying everything new. But, engines and radios will last forever if you take care of them. Planes last a long time too, if you learn from an instructor, and don't start hotdoggin right away.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:46 PM
glowplug

Hey Deadeye....where do you work? Where I work they take out these goofy things called taxes! LOL
Old 08-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was generalizing. And I'm not going to account for taxes. I was hoping to give him some incentive. Besides, I live in Montana, the 'Freemen' state. :P
Old 08-28-2003, 01:57 PM
glowplug

LOL Deadeye....I was just messing around. I think you made your point with him......hopefully he'll see that it won't take long to save up (since he doesn't have a wife & kids!)
I forgot about you rebels up there in MT
Old 08-28-2003, 02:34 PM
livefor rc guy

Default My job

i get $5.15 an hour, minimum wage in WI. My manager gives me only about 10 hours a week, I have asked for more, but he continues. The school year is coming up so i don't want to try to get a new job. I have a lot of money to pay to other people too. I don't know of any clubs around here. I don't know anyone who even flys- real or rc. I'm still in the dark, its just not as suffocating. Does anyone here want to sell an old plane to a poor newbie and doesn't mind sending it? I'll pay for s&h once i get the money. And thank you again for your helpful replies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.