Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 AM
ma_mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

The A/P may be able to fly the plane, but it better have some robust collision avoidance software. It's only a matter of time before someone or something gets in the way of an A/P flown airplane and the lawyers will have a field day! End of A/P!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tman

R/C is getting more expensive all the time especially ARF's. The technology to support and improve your chances for a successful flying session is moving quickly. Horizon recently released 3 small electric planes, the miniature Beast, the Gee Bee and one other, all equipped with small gyros to enhance your flight experience. I saw one this weekend at our club and it was pretty amazing. Now granted the pilot had lots of experience but the Gee Bee he was flying had 3 gyros in it and performed almost flawlessly and he had land it the "old fashioned way". I think we will see an improved "Ruby" type system soon. We will need this system when thousand dollar ARFs become the norm. Just look at the prices now, most mid sized ARFs 60 to 120 size, good quality ARFs are in the $250 to $450 category and gasser types, like the new Horizon P47, 30CC size, is close to $800 puts this plane in the "investment" category for many flyers. So, I think we will see some new technology to support my comments and give the average low time RC pilot the confidence they need to enjoy flying their plane. After all looking good flying your investment is a good thing.
Thanks
Yep everyone wants to start out flying a War Bird ... Ans the hobby shop will sell anybuddy any thing just to make a sail. EASY Fast Ready to go that's what everyone wants. No buddy wants to "Serve their Time" Learning to fly the right way. Instant gratification is all pepole care about today. Heck me too. I don't like to assemble ARFs. I buy used. But then my building skills ar almost non existant. Just saying it's all about EASY ... For a lot of us.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: thepamster

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

TROLL. Anyone else notice that the OP has not commented on any response?
Hook, Line, and Sinker.

The Pamster
AMA 202345

Who cares about the OP? As long as the dialog is fun and the exchanges good, who cares? Good riddance:-)

Gerry
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I wonder if these AP devices will fall under the same rules as FPV ? The use of a buddy box when running them.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

The FAA will make auto pilots illegal, unless you regester your model as an official sUAV and get a sUAV pilots license.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:20 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

The FAA will make auto pilots illegal, unless you regester your model as an official sUAV and get a sUAV pilots license.
Maybe just the oposit make them mandatory along with TCAS and ADSB. That should prevent any collision because the model has collision avoidence built in ... LOL
Never underestimate the POWER of a Beur-o-crat.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This is the least we have to worry about.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

It will ruin the hobby like R/C ruined freeflight.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GAMA warner robins ga great field great bunch of guys check out GAMA website
Old 03-26-2012, 03:19 PM
TeamCobra54
My Feedback: (19)

Wow! LOL..... Amazing what gets some peoples panties in a bunch! The BEAUTIFUL thing is that, at the present, it is an option and nothing more. Will it become mandatory in the future? Doubt it. If anything, it may bring more people to the sport. Why? Simple. Easier to fly in the begining. Like MOST of us, I think after a while newbies would like the feel and have the satisfaction of controling their own fate. I am sure that most here know who the new people are at thier regular fields, so it would be easy to wait and fly when they are done. No harm, besides we may learn something or may even be able to hep them out with future flights using a buddy box instead. What has hurt our hobby more than anything is most people avoid getting involved with new people. They may have auto pilot, but it may be that no-one has stepped up to help them out and they simply just want to be part of it. New tech will always be part of any hobby or sport. We can not stop it, but we can make a choice. Besides, Tman is right, cost are going straight up and the idea of something bringing my mony back to me, in my opinion, is a good idea. Even if it is bits and pieces. At least it would still be at the airfield. Better than a call from someone saying they have your aircraft in their living-room through the window or local police calling to tell you that it has caused an accident where it decided to end its flight. (I have my name, address and phone number on all my a/c for hopeful return if they do get away.)

PS: No I do not own an auto pilot, no I do not own any of todays new radios and No, I did not check my spelling......
Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

OK, who in here is wearing panties?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
corvette65
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: thepamster

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

TROLL. Anyone else notice that the OP has not commented on any response?
Hook, Line, and Sinker.

The Pamster
AMA 202345

Who cares about the OP? As long as the dialog is fun and the exchanges good, who cares? Good riddance:-)

Gerry
Thanks Gerrythe responses have been interesting. We have seen so many changes in the last 15 years,2.4 radios,Brushless motors and the advent of electric power, Lipos,the popularity of ARFs,real turbine engines and so on. Technology has begun surpasing the basic needs. The radio control hobby was just as much fun 15 to 20 years ago as it is todaywithout all the present technology. But we can t stop progress and the new technology does enhance the experience of R/C. In every endeavour we will always look back and wonder how we lived without it.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I believe you might find that more and more the older folks are becoming disenchanted with all the technology of today. We remember a time when folks actually had to get together in person and interact to get things accomplished. Even the teenagers of today communicate almost exclusively electronically, not in groups face to face. This is not necessarily a good thing and I, for one, do not wonder how we lived without it. We lived quite well, thank you, in a much more laid back and innocent time.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

I believe you might find that more and more the older folks are becoming disenchanted with all the technology of today. We remember a time when folks actually had to get together in person and interact to get things accomplished. Even the teenagers of today communicate almost exclusively electronically, not in groups face to face. This is not necessarily a good thing and I, for one, do not wonder how we lived without it. We lived quite well, thank you, in a much more laid back and innocent time.
Well said!