Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 AM
corvette65
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

Auto pilot is coming-we have the technology and I believe it will ultimately destroy the hobby. Miniature programmable microprocessors imbedded in the receiver that will enable anybody with just minor programming skills to give instructions to the servos to enable the plane to take-off, fly a specified route and even land by itself. By controlling the engine RPM and control surfaces you will be able to taxi down the runway and after reaching a specified ground speed activate the elevator for a smooth controlled take-off. Once in the air the plane can be put through maneuvres or just float around making circles until it is programmed to land. Beacons can be positioned at either ends of the runway to locate theboundaries of the field or the transmitter can have a beacon which directs the plane to land within a preset distance from the pilot. Sounds incredible? Its actually quite easy to achieve. You can also have an override switch to make changes in its course or if you decide,you can choose to fly the plane yourself. Will this technology take all the fun out of flying model airplanes? Probably,but you can t stop technology-and one day we all might look back and laugh about the good old days when pliots had to actually fly the planes manually!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 08:14 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Auto Pilot and the death of R/C

LOL, not while I'm still breathing
Old 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: saraholt61
Will this technology take all the fun out of flying model airplanes?
Is this a serious question? How about you just choose not to use said technology?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:06 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are still plenty of people who control models in flight with strings
Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 AM
oskartek

Auto pilot is coming-we have the technology and I believe it will ultimately destroy the hobby. Miniature programmable microprocessors imbedded in the receiver that will enable anybody with just minor programming skills to give instructions to the servos to enable the plane to take-off, fly a specified route and even land by itself. By controlling the engine RPM and control surfaces you will be able to taxi down the runway and after reaching a specified ground speed activate the elevator for a smooth controlled take-off. Once in the air the plane can be put through maneuvres or just float around making circles until it is programmed to land. Beacons can be positioned at either ends of the runway to locate theboundaries of the field or the transmitter can have a beacon which directs the plane to land within a preset distance from the pilot. Sounds incredible? Its actually quite easy to achieve. You can also have an override switch to make changes in its course or if you decide,you can choose to fly the plane yourself. Will this technology take all the fun out of flying model airplanes? Probably,but you can t stop technology-and one day we all might look back and laugh about the good old days when pliots had to actually fly the planes manually!!!

You're full of crap!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

auto pilot, for RC????,,,, bad idea and just another thing to go bad at the wrong time. K.I.S.S. and it will last forever,,, well almost. No body has yet to figure out a system to prevent the dumb thumb manuever

BV
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Just because it exist does mean it will be used for our hobby. Why would it??

David
Old 03-24-2012, 02:19 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

"The origins of control-line flight are obscure but the first person to use a recognizably modern system is generally considered to be Oba St. Clair, in June 1936, near Gresham, Oregon."

This is from Wikipedia. I hadn't been born in '36 but there are control line pilots all over the place to this day. So when exactly do you expect that this auto pilot will ruin things for us?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

It exists right now in a simple form doesn't it? The RUBY can bring your plane home and even land it using GPS coordinates you plug in.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:25 PM
outdoorhunting

That would be like kissing my sister!! Yuck !!!!!!!!!! It would cost a kazillion dollars anyway!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:04 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he has a point, and how it will happen is through all the Freeloading Lazy people we have now days. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 03-24-2012, 05:19 PM
B Shipp
My Feedback: (13)

Oh come on! I'll bet you belive we sent a man to the moon also. Some people, geez.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:09 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: outdoorhunting

That would be like kissing my sister!! Yuck !!!!!!!!!! It would cost a kazillion dollars anyway!

To be exact $39.99 coming to Hobby King in 6 months:-)

Gerry
Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
GerKonig

Auto pilot is coming-we have the technology and I believe it will ultimately destroy the hobby. Miniature programmable microprocessors imbedded in the receiver that will enable anybody with just minor programming skills to give instructions to the servos to enable the plane to take-off, fly a specified route and even land by itself. By controlling the engine RPM and control surfaces you will be able to taxi down the runway and after reaching a specified ground speed activate the elevator for a smooth controlled take-off. Once in the air the plane can be put through maneuvres or just float around making circles until it is programmed to land. Beacons can be positioned at either ends of the runway to locate the boundaries of the field or the transmitter can have a beacon which directs the plane to land within a preset distance from the pilot. Sounds incredible? Its actually quite easy to achieve. You can also have an override switch to make changes in its course or if you decide,you can choose to fly the plane yourself. Will this technology take all the fun out of flying model airplanes? Probably,but you can t stop technology-and one day we all might look back and laugh about the good old days when pliots had to actually fly the planes manually!!!

Nonsense! We still have U control people, we still have free flight people, we still have slimy power plant people and people that use cox thingies. The fact that something is available does not mean that you have to use it...

Just another choice. Like ARFs, just another choice...

Gerry
Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Autopilots are already here, I have the FY21AP still in the box, it is a RTL (Return to Launch) type and can fly the airplane back home without radio control what so ever. Here are a couple of videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi5tgSRBk3c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUp-HtY7AqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh1J7...eature=related

ORIGINAL: oskartek

You're full of crap!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 PM
fred985

and supose you dont want to fly like this ? will you be thrown out of the club ? what are you smoking ? i want to avoid that stuff,,ill stick with my made at home butts ,,,,
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Warbirdguy

There are times when I might want to use it. Like, on a sunny quite afternoon at the field, after eating a couple of hot dogs and a few cold soda's. Then, after flying a few mins, the late afternoon nap time hits[X(]. YAWWWNNNN, would be nice to hit a button and snooze off knowing my plane will be back in no time and setting in the pitt area

LOL

Seriously, its like everything else. Its an option. That means you can choose NOT to use it. If flying is that boring to someone, its time for them to move on to something more challanging Like trying to figure out what women really want

WBG
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Ruin the hobby, no way. Create a new hobby or a new niche in an existing hobby, probably. What you are describing is a drone system, which is already very much available.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: Warbirdguy

Like trying to figure out what women really want

WBG
Let me know how THAT works out for you!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:54 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

ORIGINAL: oskartek

You're full of crap!
No he's Not They already have GPS Guided auto pilots that if your plane loses signal from the X-Mitter it will return to a degisnated spot and circle. I hink it will be manditory on the Spectrum 5,6,&7's with DSM2 ... LOL.
Speaking of not using modern stuff. Why do we need all these fancy computer radios ... I started with a simple 4 chanel (using 3 channels) with servo reversing (Modern Stuff then) I put the Rudder on the left stick. What I'm saying is you had to know how to set up a plane back then. How to mechanicly adjust the trims. Start and tune an engine, ect. Now days people pull the plane out of a box, Charge it. Flip a switch or plug the Battery in and think they are modeling. Wherehas the Skill, the pride and the Paitance gone ... Every one wants it RIGHT NOW ... Instant gratification.
Flew from PHX to MKE last Thursday, Over 75% of the people had their Nose stuck in some kind of Electronic Device, Obvelious to the world around them. Six young collage guys were sitting in front of me, all were watching a differant movie on their lap tops. One guys battery went dead, and he actully got out a book and started to read, without some electronic device, But then he went to sleep.
Guess that's the state of our world to day. Guess that's why we get OLD and die. Make room for the new stuff. When it's my time, do youThink they'll let me take my old 4 channel with me? LOL

Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

There are times when I might want to use it. Like, on a sunny quite afternoon at the field, after eating a couple of hot dogs and a few cold soda's. Then, after flying a few mins, the late afternoon nap time hits[X(]. YAWWWNNNN, would be nice to hit a button and snooze off knowing my plane will be back in no time and setting in the pitt area

LOL

Seriously, its like everything else. Its an option. That means you can choose NOT to use it. If flying is that boring to someone, its time for them to move on to something more challanging

WBG
Warbirdguy Said "Like trying to figure out what women really want."
Now thst's an Experiment in Futility.
If a man standing in a forest ever does some thing she wants done, and does it right, Is he still wrong?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:16 AM
dicksonsf
My Feedback: (24)

LOL

Seriously, its like everything else. Its an option. That means you can choose NOT to use it. If flying is that boring to someone, its time for them to move on to something more challanging Like trying to figure out what women really want

WBG
What women really want?, That answer is easy. They want us to answer all their questions and requests correctly
Old 03-25-2012, 04:41 AM
Strat2003

I dunno, did the advent of games like "Guitar Hero" and "Rock Band" spell the end of musicianship? They're an easy way to pretend you're playing music, just like an autopilot would let you pretend you were flying an airplane.
I think most people who try stuff like that will play with it a little while and move on and the people interested in the real thing will remain.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 AM
pdm52956

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

I think it will be manditory on the Spektrum 5,6,&7's with DSM2 ...
You just love to try to stir it up don't you. Grow up slick. Oh, I corrected your spelling too. Should make things easier to read.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:50 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait a minute, I thought arfs were the death of rc? Now I'm confused. And to the post about people on a plane using devices, really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.