Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:12 PM
pyrobus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

ORIGINAL: summerwind

OH MAN! talk about hitting the nail on the head.................you are so right my friends.............i recently vacated the RC hobby in favor of returning to Free Flight Gas competition.
for thos of you who don't know what that is, it's like being in Pylon racing..........everything is a specialty item right down to the competitor making his own FG/CF props. etc.

anyways i was lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for all my stuff, and i have been building for over 45 years.

the kicker was the 10 gallons of Power Master 15% fuel i was trying to sell to the local guys.............even at $5.00 a gallon, no takers. i finally sold it to a guy who bought the last plane i had and he was from another area.
when i told him what i was asking he snickered.....said ''nope''.........i'll give you 10 bucks per..................acutally i sold nothing to the local guys either.......even had a NIB OS 160 twin with NIB Keleo exhaust.........went for 400 bucks to someone from out of town although one local club member offered 250.00....................if i ever get back into RC, it won't be with the RC Airplane fraternity............

Hi You sure are right about being cheap!
After selling me your st .23 you went ahead and sold it to free bird and kept my money. Then you promised to return the payment many times in your pms to me. Instead of returning the money, you turned offensive to me in your pms. On top of that you lost your reputation as a good seller on rcg under the same user name! Just because you wanted to keep my money. All the while you are buying race motors and building planes. Now that is cheap.

Sold out a good reputaion and an opurtunity to do right by another modeler. That was pretty cheap considering how long it took to build it up.

I would invite the mods to look over my inbox. You are not being genuine or honest.

Tailwinds sumerwind

Pyrobus

Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree about RCers being on the cheap side.
Guy at a local furniture rebuild shop decided to phase in a hobby department, to try to smooth out the feast or famine nature of his work. Started with dollhouses, sort of related to what he mainly did. Not bad, but slow. Added model railroading and some boats. Again, no problems. Since he was on on again-off again CL flyer, he brought in some of that. So, nearly all of these lines were fairly irregular, small customer base except for the model railroading. Started getting close to a consistent income month by month. Then he added RC. Some of the hardest customers to deal with. In fact, he had an incident with a (former) rc customer. Guy was interested in a Duraplane. Wanted to see what it was like. Asked the proprietor to get one in. Frank got one in, spent over an hour with the customer showing off the kit, answering questions. The guy liked what he saw, said he was going to get one. Frank offered him a deal, but the turkey told him he was going to buy his from some on-line source that was offering them for almost what Frank had to pay for the kit. He just wanted to see if he liked the kit before buyiing it. Frank told him to leave and not come back.
I handled an estate sale for a deceased club menmber. Never again. Got told my buddy and I were asking too much money. For example, for a finished Senior Kadet, stroke .60, finished, with radio installed, we were asking $200.00. Ready to fly, assembled and covered plane, 4S engine, tank, Wheels, installed radio, too expensive at $200.Most people were trying to suggest it should be less than a hundred.
Haven't seen anything like this in any other area of model aviation, or even much of it in model railroading.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
weathervane

I know what you mean. I was at a club like that. Made it no fun for everyone.
-Andrew

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

I can't understand why so many threads end up in a piss and moan contest! *** is wrong with everyone these days? Reminds me of a club I used to belong to years ago.
There were very rich guys and us ''cheapos'' with our average type aircraft and those[b] other guys acted like they owned the place!!![/b] Kind of like here...[:@]
Old 06-03-2012, 02:33 PM
tc-62

If your looking to making a buck good luck. If  I 'm looking to buy used equip.. I,m wondering why are they selling. I'll take a risk (a 40 size eng. for ten bucks). If I'm putting six months,  a couple hundred bucks of radio equip. into a model that cost a buck fifty or  two, I want to know that it's going to make it to final.

New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reson but because they are not already common.     - Locke   
Old 06-03-2012, 07:18 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

On the estate sale topic, your pricing was too high at $200. Not that I think the plane wasn't worth it or that I think that it wasn't more than that new, but when you advertise "estate sale" that is a synonym for "super cheap prices." Guys who shop at estate sales, getting out of the hobby sales, Crraigslist and such are bargain basement shoppers. They are willing to take risks and accept a color they don't like or a different engine than they wanted or even a different plane than they wanted in order to have it cheap. To get the best prices, you clean up the planes really well and repair every little thing then put them on consignment at the hobby shop. That way you're selling to retail customers who are ok with paying what planes are worth in order to get the one they want. But you can't advertise "super cheap prices" and then get mad because guys show up expecting to pay super cheap prices.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RC people are so cheap these days,,, there are some that will just hang out waiting for someone to CRASH,,, then that planes gets thrown in the dumpster,,, and another picks it out and proceeds to "gut it out" even more,,, LOL

RC'ing is a Funny Hobby
Old 06-17-2012, 05:44 PM
chistech

Here's that Cub on floats. New owner absolutely loves it, learned to fly floats with it, is completely happy, and was a big fan of electric planes only till this one. Of course, he thinks it's amazing that he paid over $400 for his Nextar EP and hates flying it compared to this $275 float plane that some would think he was a sucker in buying! I guess I screwed him on the floats too. I stripped the old covering, applied Balsarite, then re-covered them with aluminum Solartex. Then of course, I mounted them to his plane, hooked up the water rudder linkage, and made sure it was balanced correctly. Oh, I forgot, I also removed the wood prop and put a new fibre one because I didn't really care that the water can chew up a wood prop!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24583.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1773183   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44820.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1773184