Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

If you put something up for auction with no reserve that's your fault not the bidders.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM
flycatch

You set your price however your not the buyer. If you have no competition of the same quality then the market is yours. Usually a buyer gets what they pay for and if they settle for; good, better or best that is their decision.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i go to a swap meet to sell i think i ask a fair price> but everyone wants me to give it to them my price or nothing my things do not eat so i keep going to swap meets till some one buys them some times i tell them to go buy it at the hobby shop so they buy it or dont get it
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM
chistech

I did have a reserve at the auction and the items did not sell. I grew up in livestock auctions and purchased beef cattle for many years for my family's business. When you buy beef you pay the market value. The average RC plane buyer at the club auctions (clubs make a percentage of the sell price so the higher an item sells the more the hosting club gets) is setting the market value and that value is way low. Below is a picture of the Goldberg Cub I had for sale. Do you think it looks like it's worth more than $110 minus receiver? How much do you think it's worth. (I know the stars and bars are upside down but that shouldn't lower the price that much)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60958.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1752507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16564.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	1752508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71421.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	1752509  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:44 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

As someone else said plane guys are typically older than the others.  Plus we old geezers have been paying our own way for a long time.  We aren't cheap - we are thrify.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Your friend is right and there is way more money in cars than planes. If you want proof look at the female models at car shows compared to the non-existant models at airplane shows. Case closed.

Airplane guys tend to be retirees who are typically on a fixed income. Car guys tend to be lot younger with disposable income. Turbines and racers on the other hand blow away all other RC hobbies in dollars spent but that is a small portion of the hobby and I'm guessing your friend doesn't sell turbines.
You have made some good points...

Most retired guys can't fly heli's, see rc cars as too much work, and would never consider turbines....
They want great equipment, for cheap... not cheap equipment!....

Remember though: Auctions, NO MATTER OF the "KIND" it is, brings out the cheepos!
Ever watched the car auctions??? That is were I would like to buy my Corvette!....
Auctions are full of guys looking for botom basement price....

It isn't just rc plane guys.... But I can understand your frustration...
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Agree. If you buy any rc plane, put a lot of time and money inthe equipment, it will be worth less then what you paid for.
On the other hand you can buy used planes for a good price.
So if you want to make money with this hobby, try something else.
Rc planes are a bad investment. They are made to have fun.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
kochj

ORIGINAL: summerwind

OH MAN! talk about hitting the nail on the head.................you are so right my friends.............i recently vacated the RC hobby in favor of returning to Free Flight Gas competition.
for thos of you who don't know what that is, it's like being in Pylon racing..........everything is a specialty item right down to the competitor making his own FG/CF props. etc.

anyways i was lucky to get 50 cents on the dollar for all my stuff, and i have been building for over 45 years.

the kicker was the 10 gallons of Power Master 15% fuel i was trying to sell to the local guys.............even at $5.00 a gallon, no takers. i finally sold it to a guy who bought the last plane i had and he was from another area.
when i told him what i was asking he snickered.....said ''nope''.........i'll give you 10 bucks per..................acutally i sold nothing to the local guys either.......even had a NIB OS 160 twin with NIB Keleo exhaust.........went for 400 bucks to someone from out of town although one local club member offered 250.00....................if i ever get back into RC, it won't be with the RC Airplane fraternity............

The Internet, has given you "Seller" freedom that was never possible...
but yet, selling things in general, for me, is a unpleasent experience, NO Matter what it is....
It is VERY time consumming attempting to bring a used item to the internet....

Also...You have idiots for fellow members then....
I would purchase fuel, and your NIB Twin is a second!....

I personally purchase the best that I can afford, and that is usually the "Best" available....

I would say this....when purchasing a USED engine, it is a gamble. I realize yours was NEW IN BOX but there is a large loss in the used engine dept. because of the "UNKNOWN"....
I have a hard time purchasing a "used" engine because of the "UNKNOWN" status of it all....
In fact, I will Happily purchase a brand new 1,300 Twin gas engine, over purchasing the same engine, but used for 900$....why? If I do not know the owner personally, it is a big risk...
One I don't like to risk... But I am more apt to purchase a USED rc plane engine, than a used RC CAR engine, due to the nature of the dust, dirt that those rc cars are exposed to, compared to the planes....
Rc Plane engines, seem to last forever. RC car engines, will last for 5-gallons or even less...8-gallons is pushing it....

Perhaps the Electric Brushless motors/controllers (NOT BRUSHED MOTORS) demand higher resale value, because it is quite difficult to f=them up....like a glow or gasoline engine is...
Doesn't take much of skill to hook up electronics, as it does to get a IC engine singing properly!>...

Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 PM
[email protected]

I WOULD SAY BETWEEN 95 AND 125 NO LESS THEN 95
Old 04-19-2012, 07:27 PM
flycatch

Tower Hobbies sold this plane for $99 USD in ARF configuration during a closeout sale. The engine I'm guessing is an OS 70 4 Stroke and they were selling for one time NIB for about $125 USD. Depreciation for the items is about 60% so asking anything above $100 USD is not realistic. I sold a similar set-up for $160 USD ten years ago but I also threw in flying lessons to finalize the deal. I recently swapped a Hirobo 90 size helicopter ARF for a Hangar 9 J3 Cub RTF and both myself and the other individual agreed the swap was even.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
mrbeesboy

Where did the 60% depreciation factor come in? Even with the receiver missing, it should definitely go for more than a 100 dollars. Just personal opinion.
CAB
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
flycatch

So, do you pay retail for everything you purchase. Bottom line is you pay what you believe the item is worth to you and not others. I for one believe there is no money to be made in hobby related items. Give it a try and you also may become a believer, I did.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:22 PM
chistech

So they sold a Goldberg anniversary cub, coverite covered, OD painted finish, version? And for a $100. Never saw that one. That's a new one on me. Motor is a OS 61 and the box has $225 on it. It's not the cheap OSFL70. Four servos, switch harness, 1800nmh battery. Airframe would bring $75, engine $100, 4 servos, $25. I'll guess I just part it out as the last few "values" prove my point from my first post. I actually sold it today for $235. Took it to the field and a guy saw it fly, flew it himself, and bought it right on the spot. Pulled my receiver and off it went with him. Not all plane guys are &*(^&.

Not trying to make money, just get a reasonable amount out of a plane. How come the the kit still sells for over $110 usually? Figure the Super Coverite at $26 per roll (2). CA, epoxy, fuel tank, paint for cowl, & wheels. Equivalent motor (Saito 62, $245), 4 servos $72. All that equals $495+ not counting any labor. But $100 to some is reasonable! That's only 25% of cost. If I use the 60% formula stated here it's $198! I've proved my buddy's point.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM
mrbeesboy

Nice job!!! I knew it was worth more!
CAB
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 PM
flycatch

Good for you. It just proves my point which was the buyer places the value not the seller.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
flycatch

You proved nothing but a sucker is born every minute. You hardly ever recoup your investment especially when the item is used.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM
chistech

Should have also said the guy is coming back for a nice set of floats ready to go for this plane that I let him have for $50 and he was real happy. I sell decent stuff and my feedback shows that. I had also disassembled the motor, cleaned and put fresh bearings it in. It purrs like a kitten and turns the 12x8 @ 8,800 richened out.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The hobby shops sell what the locals want as they don't want a pile of dust collectors. I've got 3 hobby shops in town, not a true kit plane in sight, just the Plug & Play's. They sell the Hell out of 4-wheeler's even though there's not much of a profit margin as they have to complete with the online stores. The money is made on aftermarket or replacement parts. On planes you're not buying the hot setup of the week, tires, suspensions or the latest piece of unobtainium. What also kills that segment is that the latest gotta have item is antiquited in 6 months after the next hottest version comes out, this is why I got out of racing RC trucks, that and too many kids whose parents drop them off at the track/hobby shop while they're out doing whatever, a surrogate babysitting service.
Buying used can be risky also, part of the reason why some people don't want to buy at asking price. Buy online say in the RCU Marketplace as an example or eBay and what you may end up with is a pile of junk. If you don't know the seller, you have no idea of how used or abused the item is.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 PM
cfircav8r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to manage a hobby shop in southern California, and it always amazed me how indignant people would get when they thought you were making money off of them, even as little as 3%. It is just a hobby for them so why should you get to make money off of them? They ran the full spectrum of hobbies. Also it was amazing how many best customers/friends I had while working there, all of which felt entitled to a huge discount. I also saw car guys, airplane guys, boat guys, that would drive 45 miles through southern California traffic to save $5.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 AM
HoverDown3K
My Feedback: (2)

What about people like me, that have cars / boats / planes / helicopters... I seem to spend the same no matter what I am buying..
Old 04-20-2012, 05:11 AM
tks20

When i decide to sell a plane built or assembled, i set the price @ the cost of the electronics that are put into it. i only have electric planes and this works well for me.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:22 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: chistech

I did have a reserve at the auction and the items did not sell. I grew up in livestock auctions and purchased beef cattle for many years for my family's business. When you buy beef you pay the market value. The average RC plane buyer at the club auctions (clubs make a percentage of the sell price so the higher an item sells the more the hosting club gets) is setting the market value and that value is way low. Below is a picture of the Goldberg Cub I had for sale. Do you think it looks like it's worth more than $110 minus receiver? How much do you think it's worth. (I know the stars and bars are upside down but that shouldn't lower the price that much)
I really like that Cub. Nice weathered finish. Was it made to look that way or is it just old? If I was in MA I would drive over and buy it from you as long as it wasn't too badly fuel-soaked in the engine compartment. I would convert it to electric. Would love to own that thing. Definitely worth more than $110 but I'm not gonna commit to a price.

However, like you say, the Stars and Bars are upside down. hmmmmmmmmm.........[:-]
Old 04-20-2012, 05:37 AM
chistech

It is an older kit made extremely well. The cloth covering job was done perfectly and the covering re shrinks easily. There is no fuel soaked into it at all. It flew great and a guy looking for a float plane was at our field and I told him I had a set of Goldberg float that would fit it. He asked if he could try flying it and when he did, it sold. Other than the stars and bars it is one of the nicer OD cubs I've seen in a long time. The insignias are decals and he said he was going to remove them and put new. This thing is worth more than $100 others have stated and it was at the auction, where the attitudes were the same, and then talking to my hobby shop buddy that prompted me to start this thread. I never realized how some have become. Using the ideas and the formulas mentioned here my Kingfisher would have a selling price of less than $500. I already turned down 4 times that!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36600.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1752655  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:58 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Fine,, I'll give ya $550 shipped
Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Live Wire

do I here 650 650 650 now 700 7 7 now 800

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.