Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Plane Guys Are Cheap!

This wasn't about tootin' yer own horn, but hey, if ya gotta...

Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM
mrbeesboy

What's the easiest way to insert picture like you did? Thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

it doesnt matter to me if i want it i buy it , most airplane guys atr in their mid 40 s who have great jobs , i have 8 30% airplanes with the best DA engines digital servos futaba 18hz i have about 40,000 dollars invested in my and just ordered a new plane from troybuilt !!!!!!!!!
Big deal. The point is that when you sell that $40k of toy airplanes, you'll be fortunate to get $16k. Although the one without a motor will hold it's value better.

There's a guy locally who has two warehouses full of R/C planes - only the best. Probably $500k+ there, and he'll never fly most of them. His estate will single-handedly depress the market another 10%, but his hobby is as much collecting as flying. Stamp collectors don't MAIL them, either!

BTW, if you think Troybuilt is THE BEST, you are mistaken.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM
chistech

A word of advice, don't use SS bearings regardless of what you've heard or the idea of them never rusting again. SS bearings are softer and it will not take long until they run untrue. I work and repair all kinds of equipment in corrosive environments and have had more failures with the SS bearing than standard carbon steel. In our small engines especially the slower turning FS ones the the standard CS bearings are the best. So you could have only spent the $9 from RC Bearings as that is where I get mine and saved the additional.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why would i want to sell them i fly them !!!!! and i did not say troybuilt was the best but i buy from troybuilt and Nir Switzer has built planes for me and is fixing to build 2 for me and not tooting my horn you said we were cheap dont think so ,,,,,
Old 04-20-2012, 06:42 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

I fly and belong to GAMA in warner robins ever in the area stop by and i will show you my planes or you can watch me fly !!!!!!! or i could visit your club and bring up a couple in my trailer , or do you even belong toa club ???????
Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I fly and belong to GAMA in warner robins ever in the area stop by and i will show you my planes or you can watch me fly !!!!!!! or i could visit your club and bring up a couple in my trailer , or do you even belong toa club ???????
Nah, I'm sooo stinkin' rich - the club belongs to ME!

You are missing the OP's point, which is that used airplanes in particular bring a tiny fraction of what they cost new - and that a large portion of R/C flyers will pinch a penny until Lincoln screams.

Obviously, you are quite generous with your money and somehow think that announcing that to be a virtue. More power to you. Perhaps you should get into turbines - I've seen some of those that cost $40K each. There are even a couple of those guys that employ THEIR builders FULL TIME! They don't use trailers, though - they have RV/toy haulers ($500k-1.75M) built on Freightliner chassis that their crew drive to the events. They fly in!

Of course, those aren't the guys you see at the LHS. They don't buy there, as the LHS has nothing at their level.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

What's the easiest way to insert picture like you did? Thanks
Don't do 'fast reply'!

At the end of the thread, last post, on the lower left corner is a 'post reply' box. Below the reply area is 'click here to post images', then it says 'browse', and you select the image off your computer. It takes a few moments afterwards, so click just once.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM
mrbeesboy

What the heck? I asked you how you inserted your pictures in the body of your email. I didn'task you what club you belong to.........i didn't ask to see your planes.......and I definitely don't need to see you fly your planes. No, I don't belong to a club....yet. I'm checking some out to see which one best fits what I want to accomplish in the RC world......but thanks for asking. Lucky i'm not a 20 year old that would be discouraged with your comments. I still find it hard to believe you've spent 40k in this hobby. I guess you're blessed with money that comes out of both ends.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:36 PM
mrbeesboy

Thanks!!! I will do that next time.
CAB
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Jealous of what, someone like yourself with an attitude. I'm willing to bet that you only hang with others that think and behave like you do. Attention, look at all my toys don't you wish you were like me. This is how you coming across.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it doesnt matter to me if i want it i buy it , most airplane guys atr in their mid 40 s who have great jobs , i have 8 30% airplanes with the best DA engines digital servos futaba 18hz i have about 40,000 dollars invested in my and just ordered a new plane from troybuilt !!!!!!!!!
what brand 50cc aircraft are they.... there is a big difference between CMP/Nitroplanes and Aeroworks and Pilot RC

edit* i see you have and Airwild Extra... thats a good plane
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
mixerfix
My Feedback: (1)

Alas, true.

I am located in Israel and import a (very very) limited set of planes for resale here. The typical argument for a price reduction goes along the following lines - "Hey! It only costs $80 in China" (true, but I need to ship), "Hey, cost + shipping is only $110 out of China!" (I need also to pay customs duties and local tax), "Hey, cost + shipping + tax is only $130 out of China, why charge more!?" at which point I usually tell them to buy by themselves...

M

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

I used to manage a hobby shop in southern California, and it always amazed me how indignant people would get when they thought you were making money off of them, even as little as 3%. It is just a hobby for them so why should you get to make money off of them? They ran the full spectrum of hobbies. Also it was amazing how many best customers/friends I had while working there, all of which felt entitled to a huge discount. I also saw car guys, airplane guys, boat guys, that would drive 45 miles through southern California traffic to save $5.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 PM
mixerfix
My Feedback: (1)

Yes. This is the wisest statement I've read in a while...

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

One last thought - R/C models are an investment in yourself. They are relaxing, challenging, rewarding, entertaining, stimulating, and fun - but they are NOT an investment! If you enjoy them as much as I have, you got your money's worth.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:26 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Nice to see you did OK. My opinion on the ARF saga, ARF stands for almost ready to fail. Keep building quality planes and may the force be with you.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Remember, thre is no replacement for displacement! Nice picture.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

obviously this guy doesnt know anything of giant scale airplane or jet aircraft...thread over.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

There is no such thing as a ripoff in model airplane gear. Why? Because no one needs model airplane gear to survive.

On the other hand the prices of gasoline and food are going through the roof. Now THAT is a ripoff.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-21-2012, 07:07 AM
RcFlyerJeff

This toppic seens to have been created to cause hate and discontent between different types of hobbyist.

Per a similar discussion with my local hobby shop they make more money from fixing cars and helicopters through the $60 per hr repair service + parts than from RC airplane hobbyist (in addition to those that just buy a new one when they don't want to spend money on repairs). RC Airplane hobbyist usually know how to build, maintain and repair their equipment thus not requiring the hobby shop to fix it (also, if they cannot purchase an airplane part they build it from scratch).

Can't we all get along and hold our antenna's up high (not each others) and sing kumbaya (a little humor in this world of hate).

Have a great flying day and remember to support your local AMA club http://www.youtube.com/user/RcFlyerJeff?blend=1&ob=0
Old 04-21-2012, 07:22 AM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

Flycatch, then you lose "your" wager. ONLY NIB kit/ARF/engines were sold by me.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:13 AM
skippyc5
My Feedback: (244)

I will have to disagree with your statement. I fly mainly Aeroworks aircraft and use only highend parts. I've been flying for over 30+ years can only imagine what i've spent. I think it depends on each persons intrest and skill level and also budget on what a person may invest in the hobby.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

I dont know why so many people are evening responding to this guy...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Years ago, a friend of mine, who was a hobbyshop owner, was telling me much the same thing that has been said about the profitability of cars/helis/boats and the PITA that airplane enthusiasts are. I haven't seen him in about twenty years now. I get my stuff from the same places that he got the stuff that I bought from him. And I generally get it cheaper. The one exception is glow fuel. Oh well. I don't want to bother my friend by interrupting his toy sales just to order me some fuel.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 AM
rebranger

Hey Franken Finger, if you still have that Ultra Sport I'd like to buy it
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM
bam320

First post here and only 3 years into planes. It's amazing that some people call us cheap. There are those that are but they are cheap about everything. Not just RC planes. When I go to the hobby store, and I go a lot, I pay the price as marked. I've no idea what the mark up is but I don't set the price. If the store owner can't make it on the prices they have set then they are doing something wrong...not me. The local hobby store in my area seems alive and well with many customers in the store all the time. What he does do is provide service. Maybe that's the key. Just my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.