The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

It's been a long, fun adventure...

Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default It's been a long, fun adventure...

I started trying to fly R/C in 1973, building a Goldberg Falcon 56 Mk II with Titebond, epoxy, and Monokote. Had probably the first Futaba radio in the county (a US serviceman had brought it from Japan), a 4 channel set on 27mHz, linear output servos, dry cell batteries, no reversing, no computer, no trainer, no dual rates... Back then, Kraft radios were top of the line, and K&B/Veco were among the best engines. Lanier made ARFs out of molded plastic, and the local hobby shop made their own fuel.

I left the hobby when I discovered girls, dabbled a bit after college until I got married in 1988, and returned to it with a vengence before our first aniversary. Two of my three stepsons became avid R/C pilots, but left the hobby to pursue other (mostly female) interests. My hobby area grew over the years, starting with a 2x4' table in a corner of the garage, then walling off a third of a two-car garage, then to a 540 sq ft shop attached to the new house we built, and finally to a 30x44' (1320 sq ft) steel shop building behind the house. At one point, I believe I flew 42 weekends a year, and often on both days. I was actively involved with two clubs, even served as President of both one year. During this time, I also left retail management/sales and became a high school Business/Computer teacher.

My hobby blended with my vocation for many years, teaching high school students to design, build and fly R/C airplanes. That was exciting, to say the least, and many of those students remain in contact long after graduation.

I started my online experience with RCOnline and a Commodore64. I became a moderator for RCO, and came over to RCU when RCO tanked. I modded here for a bit, but simply started running out of time. In addition to my regular duties as a teacher, I run a charter school in the evenings. These 11-14 hour days took a toll on my building time, so I collected kits but mostly assembled ARFs. My children grew up (grandchild #4 is due in July!) and we became empty-nesters.

In August 2004, my wife and I were on a long-overdue vacation. We were driving around California and Oregon, seeing sights my wife had never seen. On the way down from Mt. Saint Helens, my wife suggested we ought to get a couple of Harleys. We did - and I went from 40+ weekends flying to 4- per year. We really enjoy riding together - on those beautiful flying days.

I worked on making time for both. We'd ride Saturday, and I'd tow my trailer to church Sunday, then go fly afterwards. Still only flew 15-20 times a year, but enjoyed the time and the people. Stepped away from being an officer, but stayed involved. Then, last year, I returned to another old hobby/passion/vice - firearms. I went to check out a new indoor shooting range a few miles from my house, and they were having a pistol match that evening. I signed up, and drove home to get my old Colt .45 (1911). My wife asked if I had dinner plans, and I told her I was going to go compete in a pistol match. She was surprised - I hadn't shot a pistol in nearly a decade. I went to the match for fun, shot 5 practice rounds, and then scored in the top third at the competition.

I enjoyed it, enough to shoot several times a month. My wife had never fired a pistol until recently, and now she's hooked! That cut into my R/C time, and I finally realized I wasn't enjoying R/C anymore. It had become a stressor, instead of reducing stress. I was staying with it mostly because I had so much invested in it. I had 70+ NIB kits, 15-20 NIB ARFs, 30+ flyable planes, and a 6x14' cargo trailer. I thought "If I sold this stuff for $5k, I could walk away happy!". Well, I had to sell it piece by piece, but I'm almost done. I'm down to 10 or so kits, a bunch of used motors, a few airframes, one flyable plane and one radio. There's a fun fly Sunday, and I hope to go loaded and return empty. I've sold a lot, made a lot of smokin' deals, and even given away stuff to deserving individuals. I will do some more of that this weekend, and maybe a bit longer, but I'm looking forward to an empty shop. At this time in my life, it's the right decision.

One really nice thing about it - every time I drive out to the flying field, someone wants me to fly their plane. Trim out a trainer, wring out an aerobat, putt around an old-timer, whatever - I still enjoy it. Maybe more so, as I enjoy helping others.

I treasure the guys in both clubs, and here on RCU. There are many, many quality people involved in this hobby. I have little doubt that I will return to this hobby someday, but right now I am leaving under the best of terms - not mad at anybody, not tired of any duties, not protesting any club decisions, just happily putting my time and energy into other areas.

To all of you, enjoy life!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: It's been a long, fun adventure...

Awesome Trent. Sounds like you've had a great time living. I hope you continue to have good fortune along the way.

Paul
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Paul, I consider myself extremely fortunate. We'll both be 53 in June, and life is full of possibilities. We both have steady incomes, the nest is empty, and sharing experiences with my wife takes priority over my models. She soloed an Eaglet years ago, then dumb-thumbed it ~6 weeks later. Won't touch another model - broke her plane and her heart...

The wife and I are dealing with our parents' declining health, and that has also factored into my decision. I'll probably be able to build and fly models long after I give up motorcycles. We are planning to go to Alaska this summer, on the Harleys. Gotta do those kinds of things while we can.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trent,
As I said to you privately, it's a true loss for the hobby to see you leave. But I totally understand. I'm 47 now and my wife and I are going through that same "rediscovery" phase as our son is moving along in college now. We're having fun together but she's still making sure I have plenty of time for the hobby as well. She knows how much enjoyment I get out of it. She has her own hobbies that keep her busy too. She just discovered a hobby that I like to call "charming", she's now doing Pandora charm bracelets. The good side of that is now she understands how I spend so much time looking and dealing with planes, as she does the same with her bracelets.

As much as I hate to see you leave I am also grateful for the kits that I purchased off of you when you started selling them. If you're interested I did pick up a new Magnum 52 4-stroke in Toledo that I am going to put on one of the Sportster bipes I got from you!!! I'll try to do you proud when I get her flying!!!

Good luck in your life as you go forward and try to stop by here from time to time and say "hi" to us!!!

Ken
Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well now, I guess I'm kind of the reverse in some ways and similar in others.

I'm on the verge of 56, done the Harley thing with the wife (and haven't given up hope of having another ), empty nest as well although the wife would love for one of the two kids to present her with grand kids (they would end up spending more time here than at their parents), and I would LOVE to get the wife into flying but she has absolutely NO interest (perhaps since I'm in aviation as a career she is tired of hearing it ). Did my parents declining health but still have my wife's mother to go and I can assure anyone that cares that I'll be flying/building until I die now. My father was a teacher and although I have no clue how the family made it on his income, he probably wouldn't have been happy doing anything else.

I wish you and your wife good times along your way to Alaska. My wife was born up there and I would dearly love to visit some day. I have a good friend that lives up there and has offered a place to stay any time we choose. We'll get there but like you, it will be in the summer. I find that the older I get, the less I like the cold!

Paul
Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We'll be riding from Bakersfield to Bellingham, Washington, then onto a ferry for a 4.5 day cruise to Whittier, Alaska. Depending on the weather, we will either ride down to Seward and back up to Anchorage, or skip Seward and go straight to Anchorage. Then two nights at Denali, with a ATV tour during the day, and up to Fairbanks to hit the AlCan Highway. We'll ride down through Jasper and the Icefield Highway, and back stateside at Bonner's Ferry. The rest is still TBD.

My wife made it clear when she suggested Harleys that she meant TWO. She rides a 2010 Street Glide these days, and I have a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. We added the CB radio package to hers, so now we can communicate well at all times. We're both HS teachers these days (neither were when we got married) so mid-July to mid-August is our travel time. We get in lots of 350-mile day rides on weekends - we'll pull out around 10AM and ride to the coast for lunch, then ride down the coast and come back by a different route.

My wife has never pressured me to give up R/C. She tried to enjoy it, but she enjoyed watching me and the boys fly more than she enjoyed flying. She sews (especially quilts) a lot, so she was understanding about my hobby - but there are only so many hours in a day, week, year...

My other hobbies/interests include welding, gunsmithing, machining - pretty much anything related to practical metalwork. Not that I won't do home improvements....
Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
scottrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The important thing in life is that you enjoy what you are doing, and more important, you found a hobby that both you and your wife enjoy. We all change interests from time to time. My wife also enjoys shooting and riding. I am just shy a few years younger than you, no kids anymore, and I look forward to paying off our house in a few years and buying a pair a bikes and enjoying our time together like you are doing.

I know the feeling about having too many interests and not enough time.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting ! Sound just like my life but you waite 20 years and look back, and enjoy the good and the bad that you went through. Gets interesting what life has instore for you. Enjoy what you have while you have it, don't change what you have for some thing you think you can get. Married 56 years and been in the hobby longer than I want to remember. We alway's can try something and return if it does not work out. And our nest is empty too. boy's you age
Larry K
Stop in and see the friends you have made over the years.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:02 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dude, enjoy the ride as much as you can.
Burn a wheel.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

bid deal, like you'll be missed

hate to see you leave the hobby, enjoy the fun life
whatever you both end up doing amigo
Old 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: t_burley

bid deal, like you'll be missed

hate to see you leave the hobby, enjoy the fun life
whatever you both end up doing amigo
Yeah, when I get old and worn out like Todd, I'll be back! There will still be electric Cubs, won't there?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 PM
t_burley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ouch, old and worn out!

I may feel like I'm your age, but I'm sure prettier

Enjoy the bikes................and guns, just not at the same
time.

be safe
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All kidding aside, Todd is one of the quality people in this hobby. He's really into Scale - even his crash landings are works of art!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM
t_burley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks man, I try. if you aint crashin, you aint flyin

Gonna miss you not being at meetings, keeping things "in check"

We've done alot together with the clubs the past couple years.

You have been a big asset locally with these clubs as well, and have
helped make them better.....................even after your retirement[8D]

thanks for all the help amigo
Old 04-25-2012, 08:31 PM
vpresley
My Feedback: (162)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As the buyer of several kits, let me say "Thank You", always as described or better. Prices were great, shipping better. Not many like you any more. Wish you the best and good luck.

Vince
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll probably stay involved with the clubs - I'm a life member in both, so I have to die to get out! Heck, they were a major factor in why I bought a engine-driven welder.

Truthfully, the investments I've made in those clubs have been some of the best uses of time and money I've ever made. I will continue to do so when I can, especially at Greenfield. BARKS can afford to hire it out!

I just hope I don't get any more calls to "step in" and Chair any "special" meetings - what I stepped into reminded me of my days on the farm! I am at that near-perfect time of life, though - old enough to be experienced, young enough to remember what happened!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: vpresley

As the buyer of several kits, let me say ''Thank You'', always as described or better. Prices were great, shipping better. Not many like you any more. Wish you the best and good luck.

Vince
Vince, next time we ride through Colorado I'll give you a heads-up. Maybe we can meet up for lunch or at the field - or lunch at the field! I intended to do that with Art Grabow a while back, but decided to wait a trip - and will always regret that decision, as Art was gone later that same year. Life is short - and tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:29 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trent,
Like you I've put aside Planes several times but always came back,, was heavy into motorcycles (Dual Sport in District 37), then R/C truck/buggy racing, Now looking at getting another boat for fishing,, but I'm sure even if I get heavy into that sooner or later I'll come back to Planes, Been in my blood since the early 70's too

Good luck

p.s.
Still riding off road, just got back from So Cal where I did some riding last weekend
Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

He's probably got a foamy stashed some where with a label on it that reads,,, "BREAK OPEN TO FLY INCASE OF EMERGENCY"

BV
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

He's probably got a foamy stashed some where with a label on it that reads,,, ''BREAK OPEN TO FLY INCASE OF EMERGENCY''

BV
Nah - Doug's Hobbies keeps 'em in stock!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trent,
Here is wishing you the very best. I have also cut way down on flying and riding. We purchased a motor home last year and have been having a ball camping. This year I plan on trailering the bike. There is a campground a few miles from my old club so no doubt I'll do some flying too. Trent you are completely correct a hobby has to be enjoyable - otherwise why do it. Best wishes for your future.
John
Old 04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Teachu2, enjoy yourself out there. It is interesting reading your post. With me going on 48, I have been contemplating what move I want to make concerning the hobby. I have been doing it since I was 15, and I also find myself getting stressed over "what needs to be done" on my models. My daughter graduates from high school in June, and I am pretty busy working and doing other things now days. I think I am experiencing what I have always heard.....the older you get and the more retired you become, the less time you have. I also picked up a motorcycle (4th one in 47 years) a couple years ago, and wife likes to ride with me. I have been contemplating taking a break as well. But, like you, I have so much invested, the question is what to do with it all. Time will tell, but, again, enjoy your time on god's great earth while you can.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Teachu2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was ready to clean it out completely. If I decide to return at a later date, I'll buy new stuff. I can always scratch build, which is a great hobby in and of itself. Most of what I had would only go down in value over time, so I converted it to cash - and, more importantly, peace of mind!

Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bill Vargas

He's probably got a foamy stashed some where with a label on it that reads,,, ''BREAK OPEN TO FLY INCASE OF EMERGENCY''

BV

LOL! I love it! Great idea!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
willig10

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Trent:
Like you I got back into RC after a long break ( I told myself I would never leave it again). I came back in 2009 and am now pseudo "leaving" it again. I just bought a 2007 ultra classic and my wife and I ride regularly. Like you I find my time spent on the RC thing has become a stresser to me as well. I have sold almost all of my RC planes and will be keeping some accessories for later if I decide to come back.

Right now I am enjoying the time spent together with my wife and the scenary as we ride.

Enjoy your time with your wife as well.

Regards
Glenn Williams

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service