Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Drinking and flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 01:38 PM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drinking and flying

O.K. awhile back I posted a thread called field of dreams, with the intention of getting a few suggestions for the set up of my private field.
A lot of good suggestions came across, a few fantasyland , and then a few that got me thinking, and so I am posting a poll;
How many of you out there have a few/several beers/drinks while flying?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:44 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

WHILE flying...NEVER! Way to many hazards. After flying and while watching others....
Old 09-01-2003, 01:47 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess I am going to be in the major minority here...
I don't think drinking should be anywhere near the hobby..
Old 09-01-2003, 02:10 PM
jettstarblue

Come on now folks, so many veiws, and so very few votes or replies!?

Jetts
Old 09-01-2003, 02:11 PM
balsa4cat
My Feedback: (2)

Uh guys,
Does getting intoxicated with flying count ?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:16 PM
jettstarblue

???????????????????????????????????
Please expound!

Jetts
Old 09-01-2003, 02:33 PM
BasinBum

I know one guy who takes vicoden and drinks wine when he flies. Several that go and smoke something green in between flights. And there are several that have a beer sometimes at the field.

I think they all are nuts, I am no choirboy myself, I used to do similar things in the past but I just don't think the safety or enjoyment level is the same without a clear head.

And when I see someone bent over their plane with their shirt riding up and their pants too low I always say, "JUST SAY NO TO CRACK!"
Old 09-01-2003, 02:36 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

The reason noone is voting is because this is the most senseless poll EVER.

Drinking and flying isn't any smarter than drinking and driving...

Something I would think YOU would understand clearly, with your recent experience.

You put yourself and anyone else in the "crashable" vicinity in a much heightened state of danger.

What you need to do is order yourself a kit, some glue and some covering...

You have WAY too much time on your hands...
Old 09-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Maudib

I wouldn't fly at that field... period.

Originally posted by BasinBum
I know one guy who takes vicoden and drinks wine when he flies. Several that go and smoke something green in between flights. And there are several that have a beer sometimes at the field.

I think they all are nuts, I am no choirboy myself, I used to do similar things in the past but I just don't think the safety or enjoyment level is the same without a clear head.

And when I see someone bent over their plane with their shirt riding up and their pants too low I always say, "JUST SAY NO TO CRACK!"
Old 09-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Jim C.

I wouldn't fly at that field... period
i agree..altho i would watch,from the confines of a sherman tank, all the cool carnage that would transpire from the acts posted above..:thumbup: hahahahahahh *crrrrrrrraaaaaassshhhhh!* aaaahahahhhahhhahh their money not mine.. better them than me... wwwahahhahhahahah
Old 09-01-2003, 03:15 PM
BasinBum

I hate to break the news to you guys but you probably do fly at that field. In society in general, and our fields are no different, these things exist.

JD, I disagree that this is a useless poll, it's just that I don't think people will answer it honestly.

As I stated before I think it is foolish also but I'm not sticking my head in the sand and pretending that it doesn't exist.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:35 PM
Hangtime
My Feedback: (19)

now, now.. lets not all get testy and indignant.. it's a lighthearted poll and should be given fair air time.

our club does not allow drinking and flying at the field. it's a good rule; one i heartilly endorse. i would think that anyone with enough brains and eye-hand coordination to build and fly a plane would be intelligent enough to figure out all on his lonesome that diminished capacity means abbreviated model lifespan.

on the other hand, the sloshy evening bull sessions after we're done flying are just as much fun as the flying was.

Pop a beer.. turn in your frequency pin.

Easy enuf... whats the big problem?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Maudib

They most certainly do NOT. To the best of my knowledge, noone drinks and flies at our field. I'm pretty sure it's a club rule.

I've never seen a beer at our field... ever. (or even a can cooler to hide one)

If I went to a field where guys were drinking and flying... I'd just leave. Plain and simple. Anyone who does is simply irresponsible and certainly has no regard for the safety of others.

I'm not pious and certainly not saying this stuff doesn't go on at some fields... but I think you are overestimating the acceptance of the practice among fields.

I think the MAJORITY of fields don't allow/have drinking & flying.

The real question would be:

"What good reason is there to drink and fly that would negate the obvious safety risk increase?"

I certainly love the occasional cold beer myself... even like to think of myself as a budding connoisseur... but I won't drink before or during flying, nor will I drink at the field period.

But hey... whatever floats their boat. (I just have the right to choose not to go down with the ship)...
Old 09-01-2003, 03:37 PM
Maudib

Originally posted by Hangtime

on the other hand, the sloshy evening bull sessions after we're done flying are just as much fun as the flying was.

Pop a beer.. turn in your frequency pin.

Easy enuf... whats the big problem?

And you all take taxis home... right?
Old 09-01-2003, 03:43 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is senseless to drink and then try to fly. I have a buddy who swears thats a few loosen him and he flies better. I watched him a few too many once at our old private field and he was flying almost out of control half the time. Almost crashed it like 12 times and flew over a highway at low altitude. VERY UNSAFE and I dont like flying with him when he is that way.

its simply poor judgement. Its a precise hobby that requires concentration and control. Alcohol do the exact opposite to your reflexes..enough said..im preaching to the choir..

happy landings

matt
Old 09-01-2003, 03:50 PM
BasinBum

I don't think anyone is getting testy, just expressing RC related opinions.

Our field is a public park with hardly any enforcement of anything. I sure wouldn't mind if the park rangers wrote a ticket or two if they caught someone with alchohol but it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

JD, once again we agree in our round-a-bout way, I'm just saying it probably goes on you just may be unaware of it. And yes of course I wouldn't blame you for wanting no part of it.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see nothing wrong with having a few cold ones while flying. It loosens me up, and relaxes me. However, there is a difference between a few and getting horse-faced.

I usually quit flying when I can't feel my fingertips anymore. OK, that was a joke.

Our field is usually unpopulated. Our field is 2 miles away from anyone or anything. It is smack dab in the middle of Nowhere, USA. I also have noticed that beer affects people differently. Some people get reckless, I tend to get more cautious.

If I was at a field where there was lots of people, forget it. I'll save my beer for when I'm done flying.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:08 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

I second that. I always save it for when I'm done flying..
Old 09-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Hangtime

Originally posted by Mordib
And you all take taxis home... right?
somehow, this country has slipped into the grips of the PC minded do-gooders that simply HAVE to pass negative judement on anybody who's lifestyles vary from some assidiously narrow-minded twits idea of 'clean living'.

Having a couple of beers (or not) with yer buds after a days flying is not a sloppy drunken mob of homicidal vehicle operators out to run down all the women and kids in the neighborhood on the way to the freeway on-ramp.

take yer temerance movement to the bars and kid clubs that specilaize in producing and mass releasing drunks, and leave us modelers happily recreating after a days flying the heck alone.

*sigh*

like anything else in the REAL world, common sense applys.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:59 PM
Blackie

Ever since I stopped smoking 8 years ago I pretty much gave up on beer by choice, I don't mind one every now and then its just that I don't drink, as a matter of fact, I haven't downed one in over two years now. After reading this post I figured why not go ahead and bring in the labor day holiday with a bang I'll go get a 6 pack hell a couple should do it (two years). :stupid:

Then I'll go get one of those Robart foam trays, grab my most expensive plane and see how long I can keep it in the air in hopes I don't splatter the plane, worse splat a person.

How smart is this?

I voted never or after.

Blackie
Old 09-01-2003, 05:00 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Let's not make this into a slugging match. There's absolutely no need to refer to someone as an "assidiously narrow-minded twit." If you are unable to make a point without resorting to that, kindly keep your fingers off the keyboard.

For what it's worth, I very occasionally enjoy a beer or two after flying.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Hangtime

ouch!

My apologies... was not my intent to offend; merely trying to make the pointy end of the statement sharp...

peace.

Old 09-01-2003, 05:07 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

In our club drinking and flying is grounds for revocation of membership. When everything is put away for the day a beer or so might be O.K. but there's still the drive home, if you want to take that chance.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:16 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a couple of cold beers on a hot summer day shouldn't hurt anyone, but getting plastered on whiskey and then hand starting your big gasser is just plain stupid. i guess most clubs in the states don't allow drinking because there's allways gonna be someone who doesn't know when to stop and really can be a hazzard.

where i live having a beer or two in a public place in the middle of the day still isn't a crime so it's not such a heated debate

dave
Old 09-01-2003, 05:31 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

whereas I dont drink, at my home or at the FIELD, there are
a few at our field that do have a beer here and there. now for the most part, they dont fly, they hang out to BS.

But, I dont necessarily think it should be allowed at flying fields, as I dont think the AMA has it in their bylaws, unless you keep the beer guys 50 feet apart, and impound there keys

todd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.