Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

HOBBY king going down the tube?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

HOBBY king going down the tube?

Old 05-22-2012, 02:53 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HOBBY king going down the tube?

I just had a problem with non-payment indicated on an order.  I emailed indicating paypal showed paid.  Within hours they agreed it was their problem, fixed it and shipped my order.
I'm not trying to say they are great but this time I got to smile.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:49 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: GlennZ

Hey Gary,

I have no illusions that Tower and Horizon products are not the same Chinese crap. Even Minnetonka Indian moccasins are made in China now. My point was that HK for the lower price offers no support or customer service like the others do. This is important for someone first ordering from HK to be aware of. As a patriotic American I am obligated to call it Chinese Crap.

Yes, life IS a gamble:-) I was a Hobby Lobby customer when I heard of HK for the first time. The idea of purchasing something from China shipped to my house was a bit unheard of at that time. So I started ordering big lipos three at one time. The idea was that even if 2 were bad, the price of 3 was at the Hobby Lobby level for 1 ThunderPower.

As time went by, and I was lucky I never had problems until last year. But at that time the stuff was coming from the USA warehouse, and I was able to file a claim, and they solved the problem at my satisfaction. I would really never buy an ARF from them. As a matter of fact, neither would I buy one from Tower. I used to buy them from my local hobby store. for the same price as Tower, but I got to inspect the kit in the store. For me that was a lot of piece of mind... (worth the small tax difference).

Futaba extensions, Y's for the ailerons, connectors, cables, controllers, batteries, and some other small items I buy from HK. I will switch to Castle Creations for my next controller. I found out they are manufactured here in the US. Why not help them out?

What I find upsetting is when you buy stuff from China or India and have to pay exactly the same as if it would be manufactured here in the US. They cut the cost of the product to 1/5, and increase wildly their profits, but you see no benefits at all (all you see is the loss of work). Many people do not know that most of the OTC medications you buy here in the US are not US manufactured anymore. And I am not taking about generic stuff. Even the Brand name product is from abroad...

As far as customer service, well, I am a Dell user for well over a decade. Why? I trust their customer service. I have no less than 3 computers in my office, at all times and bad things happen. I always got good service from them, so when I shop for a new one, I do not shop around looking for price,I call Dell and jut shop for features:-) My time is way too valuable to waste:-) I guess many people use the same approach with the hobby. To each his/her own way:-)

Gerry

Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Airplanes400

HK is far from going down the tubes. I just placed another order with them that totals, $386.53
Three weeks ago, I ordered $406.40 worth of stuff that arrived at my door within 10 days of placing my order. All was well.
Well, my $386 order arrived from Hobby King today. I got Turnigy batteries, servos, airspeed sensors, G load meters, altitude sensors, electronic on/off switches, wheels for my jets, door sequencers, landing gear, and some other R/C stuff.
All in all, I figure I saved more than $500.00
Yeah, all this stuff would have cost me well over $800 if I bought it from a company in the USA (which would have bought all this from China anyways).

Oh, the HORROR! I saved about $500! Oh, the HORROR!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 PM
stingray775
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VASEK,
I have been dealing with an issue with Hobby King for about 3 months now and they still have not send me a replacement part.  I ordered two soldering jigs (Mr. Jig) and one came with a part missing.  The part is essential to hold the connectors in place.  The way they are handling themselves sucks.  I was thinking of ordering an L4 Grasshopper, but after the problems I have been having I will not order from them again.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
topspin

ORIGINAL: 4*60

I just had a problem with non-payment indicated on an order. I emailed indicating paypal showed paid. Within hours they agreed it was their problem, fixed it and shipped my order.
And if you had not called them on it they would still have your money and would never have said a word.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
GerKonig

HK is far from going down the tubes. I just placed another order with them that totals, $386.53
Three weeks ago, I ordered $406.40 worth of stuff that arrived at my door within 10 days of placing my order. All was well.
Well, my $386 order arrived from Hobby King today. I got Turnigy batteries, servos, airspeed sensors, G load meters, altitude sensors, electronic on/off switches, wheels for my jets, door sequencers, landing gear, and some other R/C stuff.
All in all, I figure I saved more than $500.00
Yeah, all this stuff would have cost me well over $800 if I bought it from a company in the USA (which would have bought all this from China anyways).

Oh, the HORROR! I saved about $500! Oh, the HORROR!!!

You will burn in hell, and they will burn you using all the money you saved:-) Well done:-)

Gerry
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: topspin

ORIGINAL: 4*60

I just had a problem with non-payment indicated on an order. I emailed indicating paypal showed paid. Within hours they agreed it was their problem, fixed it and shipped my order.
And if you had not called them on it they would still have your money and would never have said a word.

So you know these things because you are gifted. Must have a crystal ball. Tell me, where is Hoffa? Who killed JFK?

Gerry
Old 05-22-2012, 06:37 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good point dl they need a geography lesson
Old 05-22-2012, 06:39 PM
jayjay283

that $386 just insured your siblings will be Chinese slaves in 2015, nice work penny pincher
Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Father Time

Yup! Just another Canuck weighing in on a very touchy subject eh! Just mention the HobbyKing name in a blog "ANYWHERE" and listen very carefully for the metallic click of the hammer being cocked. Now make sure that your kevlar body suit and athletic cup are not in the wash and dig a deep hole "cause you sure nuff are going to need protection from the fallout this subject brings down!

By all means, buy as much as is "practical" from your LHS! ARF's, balsa, kits etc. Support your local economy. The pricing on ARF's in your local shop is usually pretty decent for a quality item and you get to look at - inspect - it. Here in Canada, by the time you pay for the shipping, you can't afford not to buy it here. I have tried to order planes and kits out of the U.S. but the shipping, again, is just to prohibitive as is China. I did bring in a couple of planes through a Chinese/American supplier and discovered I had to put more time and money in to them just to make them flyable. The Chinese are very good at some things, but not all things hobby related. Know it or not, you are "the" QC department for most oriental suppliers.

Now on the other hand, when I walk in to the LHS and see the same stuff hanging on the wall or on the shelf that I bring in from China, with that 400% mark up - where do you think I am going to get it from? Batteries, ESC's, motors, receivers, servos, servo extensions (He wants $2.50 for 1 and I get 10 for less money! Same extension!) etc. It's our choice as to how we spend our own hard earned cash and if you are unhappy with your purchase you have every right to complain about damaged, DOA goods etc. and get a replacement. This should not be a problem with a reputable dealer but it seems to be a 50/50 crap shoot with HK. I have placed over 20 orders from HK and have had very good luck with their services and products so far. I am hoping I never have to deal with their warranty dept. The way I see it - don't spend what you can't afford to lose on overseas shipments. That being said, I should probably never fly for fear of losing another airplane!

Ah! There's that new ARF by Great Planes/Hanger 9etc. in the LHS. Got to have a look! Open the box and - - - what's that familiar odor? Well I'll be darned - must be "Made in _ _ _ _ _' ??????????? So much for local Jobs! Want to keep it local? Build it yourself!

So spin those props up and may your skies be blue and the winds friendly - but fly my friend - fly!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

that $386 just insured your siblings will be Chinese slaves in 2015, nice work penny pincher
I don't have kids. Never wanted them, and will never have any. But I do date Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, and Korean women!

PS - Saving several hundred dollars is a great feeling. Over the course of just a few orders with HK, I saved thousands of $$$$. So, I'm not a penny-pincher.

Besides, where do you think your computer comes from? Where do you think your cell phone is made? Where do you think most of everything you use and have in your home comes from?

Do you own a Chevy? Many of those parts and components are made in Asia and Mexico. Same with Ford.
Speaking of ... What kind of car do you own? A Kia? A Toyota?

So stop this BS with not buying things from China. You do it too.
Don't be a hypocrite.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

I don't have kids. Never wanted them, and will never have any. But I do date Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, and Korean women!

PS - Saving several hundred dollars is a great feeling. Over the course of just a few orders with HK, I saved thousands of $$$$. So, I'm not a penny-pincher.

Besides, where do you think your computer comes from? Where do you think your cell phone is made? Where do you think most of everything you use and have in your home comes from?

Do you own a Chevy? Many of those parts and components are made in Asia and Mexico. Same with Ford.
Speaking of ... What kind of car do you own? A Kia? A Toyota?

So stop this BS with not buying things from China. You do it too.
Don't be a hypocrite.
Many "local only" shoppers would be shocked at what is NOT made in the USA! If they only knew before they spew off at the mouth. Some things are assembled here and not even much of that anymore. When I was young the stuff that came from overseas was pure crap, but over the years things have improved somewhat.

If you go down to your local book store and buy a book guess where many of them are printed now? Yep, foreign countries at cut-rate prices. Business men will save a dollar anywhere they can and hobbies are no different. Two things still produced here in large are farm and timber products (sort of hard to import produce, yet some is imported).

I sense a jealousy over HK's deals in many of the posts. To me buy from whom you desire whether it be local shop or HK and respect a man's choice to shop where he likes. I have not bought a lot but what I have bought from HK has been fantastic for my purposes. The savings have been huge and if I find a bad product, I may let them know, but I may choose to just toss it and forget it. It just depends on the item. The savings have enabled me to purchase another plane and fully equip it!

On a side note, when do we not have risk when we buy locally? The only real difference I see is the possibility of getting service provided. If you plan to buy something and need service then HK would not be the best choice. If you don't want service then HK is a good deal. Most of the things I buy I am not looking for service except when I spend premium then I expect the quality to reflect related to the cost of the item.

Seems much too simple to me.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Can you even tell it's a horse anymore we're kicking?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:24 AM
downunderdog

My 2 cents....

I've ordered from HK about 5 times. I've had a few minor issues - sometimes an item I ordered was in stock according to the page, but then by the time the payment is processed it shows out of stock and the whole order gets held for it. Generally I cancel that item and get the credit on my next order, rather than waiting a YEAR for a particular item to come in... or if I'm not in any particular hurry to receive the order I might wait the couple of days to couple of weeks that high volume items (like those sweet and cheap HXT900 servos!!!) usually take to get back in stock.

I've had a couple of motors that weren't so durable, but then they were like $10. I've also had some that were great for the $10-$20 I've paid from them (instead of the $50 or more that those motors would have cost at a LHS)... I generally buy several similar, but slightly different from eachother, items from them in a particular order for the price that a single one of the item would have cost at a LHS. If ONE of the items that I bought from HK is good, then all of the others are gravy. Generally I'm happy with over 90% of what I've bought from them so I'm WAY ahead of the game having bought from them.

The LiPos are a great deal, too... and even if I got 1 bad one out of 3 (which I never have - every one I've bought from them has been fine) I'm still saving tons of money.

edit to add: The above is just my experience and you should do what you want and what you're comfortable doing. I'd hate to be accused of being a shill.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:27 AM
SuchIsLife

I bought an Electrifly Camel from tower in the US (to AUS). The box had MADE IN CHINA stamped on the side in two inch letters.

I've run a HK motor in it for two years, with a HK speedie and a Rhino LiPo. No problems. I get stuff like glue, props and balsa from my LHS when I need it quickly.

Why can't we all just enjoy this excellent passtime and the choices we have?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

I just ordered a new horse from HK. Will be delivered today....

Gerry
Old 05-23-2012, 07:18 AM
jayjay283

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

Gerry
The last horse was an American Mustang and lasted 11 pages, this Chinese horse will not last 1 page
Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 AM
topspin

Gerry
The last horse was an American Mustang and lasted 11 pages, this Chinese horse will not last 1 page

I also ordered a new horse from HK, it was missing one of it's hooves, it's tail, and half of one leg. I opened a chat session and after waiting an hour they said,

" we are sorry about the horse, we were hungry. Please take pictures and weigh on scale then send blood type and picture of tag on your underwear. Only then can we deny your claim."

Back on topic.....
Taking pictures and weighing packages is utter nonsense and is nothing more than a way to agravate customers away from filing claims. That is just one of the reasons Hobby King is going down the drain.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:36 AM
GerKonig

Gerry

What, we have been beating a Ford, all this time?

Gerry
Old 05-23-2012, 08:19 AM
topspin

That's right, try to drag it off topic. Hobby Kings complete lack of customer service and their less than ethical treatment of anyone who tries to address a problem is taking them down. People in the hobby are finally getting tired of the shabby treatment and poor quality of goods and service from them. The competition is getting tougher and better. HK is going down the drain just like they did on Ebay several years ago.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
Luchnia

Nah, now it just seems like we are kicking some type of dead carcuss that bears no recognition to a horse
Old 05-23-2012, 08:24 AM
GerKonig

That's right, try to drag it off topic. Hobby Kings complete lack of customer service and their less than ethical treatment of anyone who tries to address a problem is taking them down. People in the hobby are finally getting tired of the shabby treatment and poor quality of goods and service from them. The competition is getting tougher and better. HK is going down the drain just like they did on Ebay several years ago.

And I guess you have HK sales numbers to substantiate? Or is this just your very personal opinion...

Gerry
Old 05-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Luchnia

Let me see if that last HK TG servo I purchased has run over 2000 cycles now [8D] Also checking now to see if their customer service to me has been less than ethical So far so good....now back to some fun flying with that last order of HK crap I bought. [X(] [8D]
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Gerry,, come on,, be reasonable,, he's said it 200 times,, it must be true.

Topspin this is quite a vendetta you've been waging,, going on a year now,, what did they do to you again?
Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 AM
grimbeaver

Gerry,, come on,, be reasonable,, he's said it 200 times,, it must be true.

Topspin this is quite a vendetta you've been waging,, going on a year now,, what did they do to you again?
They took his first born child to work as a slave building r/c parts in China.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.