The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Small Electric Planes

Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Small Electric Planes

I'm retired so I get to pick the days I go flying. When I was employed I could only fly on Saturday or Sundays with the rest of the modelers. This past Saturday I went out to our field and everthing has changed. Gone are all the glow powered planes and all with the exception of two others they all fly little electic models. I'm not bashing or critizing what other are doing but it seems to me they have retrogressed. I was approached by an individual that I had never met and he inquired about the plane I was flying. I told him it was a H9 Extra 260 27% scale powered by a Saito 220 4S. He gave me one of those looks like what the hell is that and proceeded on to tell me about a Park Zone J3 Cub that he was going to purchase and learn to fly on. I listened but made no comments about his choice of airframe but honestly has that what our hobby has come down too. I'll close by saying that when the wind started picking up they all packed up and left saying it was to windy to fly.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Small Electric Planes

The off the shelf ready to fly foamie, has changed the caliber of person now participating in the hobby. Hardly any skill is needed to assemble the foam pieces as they come out of the box, and they like it this way. Plug and Play they say. You can now expect to see a whole different type of mentality at the field. Grin and bear it, and keep the peace brother. []
Old 05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All true. I have some of the foamies and they can't be beat on a calm or slightly windy day. Not much fun in 15mph plus winds,I don't care who you are! For me and others they are ,along with other smaller electrics the planes that come out at the end of the day after everything else is cleaned-up and packed away. Very relaxing to fly and when you are done just put them in the truck.
The guys who have transitioned from glow to all electric will rib (all in fun!) the glow guys about "those slimers" !
I have a mixture of everything. Small electric foamies, electric stickbuilt ,larger electric, glow ;small & medium, and large gassers.
Seems like once the new pilots move up to a stick-built plane(arf or kit) they realize how much better the planes fly compared to the foamies. Plus you can't beat a heavier plane if you want to fly all of the time when it's windy.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The electric's are neat and fun to fly, it's just to bad that a lot of the people flying them are so self centered and inconsiderate of others. Nuff said !! ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 PM
jayjay283

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im a foam flyer in IL, I love your nitro or gasser planes thats why I bought an electric foamie plane, Im not talented enough to fly a nice $2000 plane but we have to start somewhere. There is no disrespect from me I drool over your big boys, just not there yet
Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No disrespect intended ! The old guys who have been in the hobby awhile have seen it change, and I'm one of them. We just all need to learn how to accept it, and it's not always easy. If concessions need to be made, we will make them.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM
blvdbuzzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am a LONG time glow flyer. I have a bunch of engines in boxes and in storage. I have 3 glow planes right now. The other 22 are electric. Why, because of the ease I can get them in the air. I do not need a bunch of other things just to start it. I have the light weight 7 ounce 3D planes all the way up to 60 sized glow. I laugh when the winds get up to 10 to 15 mph. We have the field to our selves.

I stopped by the field with two planes and 6 batteries. Flew 5 flights. No fuel to pump, glow plugs to go bad, oil to clean up and the list goes on. Yet, the glow planes I have, will never be converted to electric. I still love the smell and sound of glow planes. I have a Super Chipmunk with a Magnum 91 Fs in the nose. Sounds so good flying around. You just do not get that with E power.

I fly just about everything. Gliders, glow, electric, rocket powered. It is all good.

Buzz.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM
flycatch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I for one won't make concessions and I'll stay with the gas and glow burners. If you were there and watched them fly these airframes you might have changed your mind. These were the same bunch of individuals who banned helicopters at the flying site saying they were too dangerous. That was three years ago and I was one of those helicopter pilots.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:16 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They don't hug trees in their spare time, do they ?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:53 AM
G8er

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I for one won't make concessions and I'll stay with the gas and glow burners. If you were there and watched them fly these airframes you might have changed your mind. These were the same bunch of individuals who banned helicopters at the flying site saying they were too dangerous. That was three years ago and I was one of those helicopter pilots.
sounds like its time for a new club/flying field

Old 05-18-2012, 07:38 AM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To be clear, the concessions that I was talking about are giant scale gassers sharing the same field with tiny foam electrics. This is becoming more and more difficult at busy fields in the East. I believe that there will come a time, when they won't be able to coexist at the same field. Many electric flyers already realize this and fly in parks and school yards, or have even branched off and started their own smaller club fields. Whereas, the man who enjoys flying giant scale and jets, must have a field with longer runways, and some times even expensively paved runways. No easy answer.

ed
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There should never be a problem at any club field as long as everyone is flying the pattern of the day. Just because you have a 30" foamy doesn't mean you have the right to fly short circles, against the pattern, etc...when other fliers are in the air. Ditto with helicopters and 3D'ers. When a pattern has been established all others should follow. If you want to fly all over the field, 3D heli's or 3D planes then wait until the field is clear. No one type of flier should be allowed to dominate a club.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

" Just because you have a 30" foamy doesn't mean you have the right to fly short circles, against the pattern, etc...when other fliers are in the air. " ............. Yes ! you've nailed one of the biggest problems. I see 30" foamy's flying their circular pattens within the width of the runway. As newcomers, they don't know what a "pattern" is. But I guess that's our problem.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Tarasdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I fly both electric and glow powered models. My preference is glow (LOVE the smell!) although I must admit that the lack of mess from electric power does have its attractions. My club has members that fly everything from small foamies to large gas models. We are fortunate in having a wide open area with a great paved surface to fly from, actually a disused road that the city has allowed us to use as our flying field. We don't have any neighbors close enough to annoy with the noise of glow or gas (still require mufflers though) so don't get any noise complaints. Heck, the area is popular with the weekend ATV/dirt bike/offload vehicle crowd and they make way more noise than we do!

The thing is we really don't care what you fly as long as you do so according to the AMA Safety Code and the very few rules the club has (safety line and dead line rules) and, most important of all, have fun while doing so!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: red head

The electric's are neat and fun to fly, it's just to bad that a lot of the people flying them are so self centered and inconsiderate of others. Nuff said !! ENJOY !!! RED
Flyers being self centered and inconsiderate are much more tied to to person involved than the type of model they are flying.
Over the years, I have seen every class of model being flown with lack of consideration.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can't blame them. I just paid $26.99 for a gallon of glow fuel! Most of my flying is now with gasoline engines - but it's not necessarily the place to start (though it easily could be). If I were doing it over I'd likely go electric as well. I just can't justify the price of chargers and multiple battery packs when all of my current piles of gear lean towards glow and gasoline fuel; and I know squat about setting up electrics or motor selection, etc.

I recently added float flying to my pursuits and 80% of the models at the last event were electric. I had a Saratoga 40 with a .46 TT and another pilot had a Pulse XT 40 electric.We were neck-and-neck for performance.

My only electric is one of the 15" GP F-86 Saber EDF jets. Hot and squirrelly (VERY wind sensitive) but a lot of fun. But give me the rumble of a gas[oline] engineover the "Eeeeeeee" of an electric. Futzing with engines is part of the attraction. At least for me.

I am fitting out a Maxford Mentor-G (83" wingspan &w/floats) with a Zenoah G26 engine. It is every bit a trainer. I don't see any reason it couldn't be a pilot's first plane. BUT, the size means you have to have a capable transport vehicle, storage space at home, willingness to learn gasoline engine care and tuning and be comfortable risking $800 in gear every take-off (and that's low end $ for gas models).

And tossing $20 away every time the prop meets the runway.

I think electrics are great if they keep the hobby rolling. With 2.4GHz it's less critical that "rogue" pilots are flying off on their own; and we can hope some of them gravitate into the AMA/IMAA and more ordered clubs and fields. Electrics are the ARF's of the new century! You should have heard some of our old duffers 20 years ago who now fly ARFs all the time. ;-)
Old 05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
flycatch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Plug and Play (PNP) that's what it has come down too. Nothing more and nothing less. Electrics' started in Germany and eventually made their way into the US market. The reason and only reason the Germans went to electrics is because of noise regulations and not because they were the wave of the future. Recently I took my 1/4 scale gas powered J3 Cub to our local flying field were 95% of the members fly electrics and guess what plane was the star attraction. When I started in this hobby I learned how to fly on a Falcon 56. It had a 56" WS and was three channel equipped. Now what I see in electrics are average WSs' of 39" or less don't you consider this as a devolving instead of evolving.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM
red head

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Thomas B

ORIGINAL: red head

Flyers being self centered and inconsiderate are much more tied to to person involved than the type of model they are flying.
Over the years, I have seen every class of model being flown with lack of consideration.
I don't disagree with what you said !! It's just a fact that we didn't have to put up with so much of it till the Electric's showed up . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Flypaper 2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doesn't really matter what turns the prop, the results are the same. Fun Our club is about half and half, glow/gas to electric. Electric makes winter flying much more enjoyable as an indoor sport, although our clubhouse at the field has a woodstove for winter flying. As far as size goes, there is not much difference. A buddy has a Twist 40 with a an OS46FX and I have one with a Himax 50 and there is no difference in the speed. Many of you old pharts like me remember the old Byron Christen Eagle. Here's mine that used to have a Quadra 52 on it. Now has a Turnigy 3000 watt motor, about the same hp as the 52. Vertical is a little better as it swings the bigger 22 in. prop at a little lower rpm. Otherwise it's about the same performance. Weighs about the same at 18 lbs. Another is my Yellow Aircraft Cap 10B with the same motor on it. I still help the guys with the glow and gas motors. As a matter of fact I got a new Xenoah 26 going for a guy today. No need for any animosity. We're all in this for the flying. Off to the side of the main runway, there is plenty of room where I fly my 35 in. 3D foamys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11096.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	1765892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63103.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1765893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68160.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1765894  
Old 05-26-2012, 02:50 PM
japan3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I get more flying in now that I got rid of my big gassers and fly electric foamies. No more 1 1/2 hour drives to the field, making little use of the throttle stick, got to keep the noise down. Now I just go to work an hour early and fly at one of the baseball fields on the base I work at. I get about 45 minutes of flight time in almost everyday. I stayed away from electrics for the longest time, now it's all I fly. I've been in this hobby since 1975 so have about done it all, before R/C I flew control line from 9-14 yrs old. And right now, trying to talk myself into getting RimFire 65cc electric motor, but that will require the 1 1/2 hour ride again, so it's probably not going to happen.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:37 PM
flycatch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe you summed it up for the electric community. These are the points you made; no mess. no noise, unregulated and the prime reason is convience.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Ed

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True ............... But that is not a good reason for the electric community to dominate the field because of their greater numbers, and fly their entire " pattern " within the width of the runway.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Then fly CAP over them.  They'll scatter when you call "landing . . . with a prop as wide as your wingspan".
Old 05-28-2012, 12:04 PM
rcbadger
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've flown pretty much everything from 10" wingspan electric indoor planes to 10'+ wingspan gassers, and I believe that the reason it seems more electric fliers are discourteous, or ignorant is multi-reasoned.

1st - The fact that the aircraft are advertized and sold as "ready (or very nearly) to fly" suggesting to the uninitiated that they need no training. (This is a failure of both the manufacturers and the retail outlets, in omitting where an instructor would have had the opportunity to imbue them with an awareness of the rules and courtesies of the field and hobby.) Also, the simplicity of purchasing, assembling, charging and prepping for flight, are so simple as not to require much if anything in the way of advice seeking, allowing them to get into the air without so much as a phone call or forum check for info.

2nd - The investment in aircraft and support equipment is a fraction of what it costs to enter the hobby via fuelers. This sometimes fosters a careless attitude of "What the heck, if I wreck it, it will only cost a few dollars to fix/replace." Few people having spent several hundreds of dollars to buy a plane and related accessories and support gear, even if the motive is selfish, are willing to just start buzzing about without some instruction and/or training risking not only their investment, but the potential for catastrophe when a 5+ # aircraft goes somewhere it shouldn't.

3rd - Both manufacturers and retailers promote the ease with which one can locate a "suitable" place to fly. My next door neighbor, after having already talked to me about getting into the hobby, went out, bought a small electric, and promptly flew it into my van. He then told me he he'd ignored my advice to join a club and get instruction because he didn't want to go through the expense, time, or effort to join a club, go to the field, and get training when it looked like all he had to do was charge it. (His expense, though, has now increased as he's paying to repaint a portion of my van, and needless-to-say, he wouldn't be covered by AMA if he had it, which, of course, he doesn't.) While this situation increases those willing to get into the hobby, it also increases the likelihood that those too lazy, or unconcerned to bother with training or instruction to join it.

I live in Melbourne, FL now, and it's 20+ miles to the closest field, the field requires membership, and the membership is $80/yr. Personally, that's not much to ask for all of the benefits, but many can find an open field, and with 2.4 technology, they don't even have much to worry about with regard to interference.

There are things we can do;
*Urge manufacturers through letters and reviews, to promote clubs and the AMA with more vigor. Ask them to emblazon the message on their packaging and manuals.
*Provide pamphlets and/or flyers to hobby shops and other retailers selling R/C products, and urge them to put those pamphlets in with every R/C sale.
*Express ALL the benefits of joining a club, and the AMA.
*Many hobby shops provide a discount to club members. If so, ask them to post that information so that new R/Cers see it and it will increase the likelihood that they join a club and seek instruction.
*Make your club's presence known. Advertise your club events any and every way you can: hobby shops, toy stores, forums, ect.
*Make "Gift Certificates" providing 1, 2, or 3 "free" training flights wherein you provide the plane, instructor, and buddy-box, and they just show up to have your club instructors available to provide training flights. Specify a date so as to entice those interested to get off their keesters and do it. (This worked for us at the Denver R/C Eagles: http://www.denverrceagles.org/) when I was in Denver. We ended up with something like 27 people taking us up on the offer, several instructors literally flew all day, and several new members joined as a result, including one of whom later became president!
*Our local club, Indian River Kontrol Society (IRKS - http://www.irks.org/) has separate fields for gliders, helis, and electrics. A great idea, if you have the room.
*Be pro-active. Go out of your way to promote membership, and even more-so, training.

If you've got more ideas, let us know!

Best of luck!
Joe