The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ford Flivver

Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Martin Levy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ford Flivver

I Have just ordered plans for aa 50" span Ford Flivvver. always wanted to build this. Can anyone please advise what engine size (four stroke only please) I should use for this if I build it lightly.
Your help would be greatfully received
Martin
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
rcbadger
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Ford Flivver

I'm not sure of the weight/wing loading of the Flivver, but the Saito .40 http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...sai-e040a.html swings an 11x6 prop at more than reasonable RPM, or, if you want more power, I've powered ".40 sized," 5# sport planes with the .56. http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c.../sai-e056.html

Love the Saito's for their dependability and price. I had a .56 that I flew until I had to replace the rings, replaced them, then flew it for another year before selling it on the model...
Old 10-08-2013, 12:19 PM
zenith16
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just finished an old Dymond 72" Ford Flivver and wanted to document some results with the build. There were no instructions with the kit so I tried to find what other pilots mentioned as their setup. Here is what I ended up doing to make a nice set-up. The only strengthening to the tail was to add guy wires. Many people mentioned adding stock to the sides of the vertical fin but the wires add just as much strength and preserved the look. The tendency to flip over on take-off and landing was widely documented so I bent the gear struts thus moving the gear about 1/1/2 inches forward . This clearly eliminated the flip over. The plane has an OS 61`FSR up front swinging an 11 x 7 wood prop. My control surface throws are elevator 1" up and down. Rudder 1" right and left. The ailerons were set at 3/4 inch up and down however I set up a differential of 60% down while at 100% up. I read several comments where yaw was an issue and I wanted to minimize the effect. As far as servos in the wings I ended up using Hitec 85 MG servos. They fit perfectly and seemed strong enough for the type of flying. The remaining servos were all standards. Now for balance. It seemed like so many people had their CG at approx. 4 - 4.5 inches and getting a lousy flying lesson. When I went to an on-line cg calculator it had the cg at 3 - 3 1/2 inches. Taking the thought it's always better to be a little nose heavy... I put the CG at 3 1/2 inches from the leading edge and off to the flying field to see if it flies. After watching a few videos on YT and reading some technique tips I advanced the throttle maybe 30 % slowly while holding back on the elevator. As the plane sped up slowly release the elevator toward neutral as the tail comes up. Continuing to accelerate I 'd pull the elevator stick back and a perfect climb. Very little trim and the model flies perfect at 1/3 throttle. Plenty of power. It was maybe 10mph winds and basically the plane wants to fly in about 20 feet of roll. The landings are a real floater. Flat bottom wings just want to fly. Touch down was nice on the two mains with no flipping tendency. Then just hold the elevator stick aft taxing back. I really just wanted to document the throws , CG and ideas so that any one finding one of these kits with no instructions could put the whole thing together and fly it smoothly. Charles Lindbergh said this was the worst plane he ever flew. We'll Dymond had a winner with this kit and it flies great.