Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Auctions on Fleebay are NOT binding contracts, according to them

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Auctions on Fleebay are NOT binding contracts, according to them

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
flyingtheoldones
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auctions on Fleebay are NOT binding contracts, according to them

I just won an item on that website and now the seller is telling me that they didn't know the value of the item before it was placed. Bottom line, seller refuses to send the item and wants to refund my money back and after talking to an associate of the website was told there is a "loop hole" that allows sellers to refuse honoring the results of a listing. This would be a cancellationof the entire sale without the approval of the buyer, in case the seller makes a mistake. So if you are selling something on that site and are not satisfied with the results, trade 1 possiblenegative feedback for the money saved on a poorlybidded listing.I also need to express that giving thenegative feed back to the seller could mean retaliation by them posting negative feedback to the buyer as well. So sellers can go out and gamble on their listings, and if they lose big, just dont pay up.
Legal and binding contract, as they advertise.... I think not

DM
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Muddin_Mavric

Default RE: Auctions on Fleebay are NOT binding contracts, according to them

I don't think a seller can leave neg. Feedback for a buyer that has paid through PayPal.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:04 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

As a seller, you cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. It only gives the two options of positive, or I'll leave feedback later. So as a buyer you can do whatever you want, the only thing is feebay can suspend your account, if you have bad experiences.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:49 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyingtheoldones

I just won an item on that website and now the seller is telling me that they didn't know the value of the item before it was placed. Bottom line, seller refuses to send the item and wants to refund my money back and after talking to an associate of the website was told there is a ''loop hole'' that allows sellers to refuse honoring the results of a listing. This would be a cancellation of the entire sale without the approval of the buyer, in case the seller makes a mistake. So if you are selling something on that site and are not satisfied with the results, trade 1 possible negative feedback for the money saved on a poorly bidded listing. I also need to express that giving the negative feed back to the seller could mean retaliation by them posting negative feedback to the buyer as well. So sellers can go out and gamble on their listings, and if they lose big, just dont pay up.
Legal and binding contract, as they advertise.... I think not

DM
At least the guy was straight with you,, he could have easily said the item was stolen, broken, etc. I've had that happen to me before.

What ebay did when they dropped the insertion fee is open the doors too guys making a listing,, backing out just like your story and selling the item on the side to avoid the fees. In addition to flooding the site with crap more than ever

Someone please explain to me why they changed the feedback system too,, I've had deals where the guy has paid but he's still a major PITA that deserves a negative ratings
Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
flyingtheoldones

I'm not sure the seller has been straightabout this.First the sellertold me they didn't know the value of the item, then, on the following day, said they posted a reservefor $400.When I ran across the listing, it was at $15 with no reserve. If the seller found out laterwhat the value was, they would have been able to cancel the listing, as long as there was 12 hours or more time left. But then they did list it at only 99 cents to begin with anyway... with no reserve.
So this seller didn't end the auction early, they simply didn't like the results.
The seller clearly did the: start with the lowest amount (in this case 99 cents), set it with no reserve and the bidding wars commence. This practice can produce some exciting results, but it is a gamble. Thats why it can attact so much attention from buyers.In this case the seller justwasn't happy with the$115 results, and refuses to honor the stakes of their gamble. Forget Vegas.. I'm just gonna list everthing I can on fleebay and pick the ones that win the best for me, cancel the rest as fleebay allows.
The verydisturbing partIS that fleebay is stating that a seller can ignore the final results ofthe auction without any excuses,asoften as they like. Theonly risk is negative feedback from the buyer.This by definition makes their listings Non binding, doesn't it?
I feel that since fleebay says that their listings are a binding contract, they souldn't allow this "loop hole" in their policy. "Loop hole" was the discription that a representaive from fleebay gave me, it's not my discription.

DM
Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you pay for the item then get your money back?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 PM
flyingtheoldones

I did pay forthe item. Didn't get my money back yet, but I dont want my money, I want the item that I won.
I sold many things on fleebay and for the most part, I too start the auction @ $1 and I never put a reserve. Some items I end up getting a lot more than I expected, but sometimes I end up getting not even close to what I should have. about 18 months ago I sold a Futaba 14MZ 2.4 ghz tx module and rx. This was the set to convert 72mhz 14mz to 2.4ghz. It was NIB and I paid $450 from Tower for it. It sold for $65. I sent it to the buyer.
It isn't a matter of honoring your word. It is a legal contract that supposed to be binding. If you are not willing to risk a low ball winning bid, Just put the amount youwant as the starting bid, or place areserve. Thats what they're for.
I also am into autos. I seller sold a $14,000 Griggs suspension set up, never used or mounted, on ebay for $1800 and change to a friend of mine. That must have been hard for the poor seller, but he started the auction at, something like, $100 and no reserve. I'm very sure that if he knew that fleebay would just let him cancel for any reason he chose, he would have. Heck I would have bid $5000 for it if I knew about the listing.
Even the associate from fleebay said he wouldn't completea sale if he thought he could get $500 more for an item. He said he would just let the fustrated buyer leave the negative feedback. Now that Is Messed Up!

DM
Old 05-24-2012, 06:28 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Just a suggestion,,, get your money back
Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
flyingtheoldones

I'm really not worried about the money. It was sent through Paypal, so Paypal will take care of sending me the money if and when all this falls through.
I just feel cheated by Fleebay for them not following through with what they advertise, all the auctions are legal and bindings contracts.
I know its just a small deal with this one transaction, but if Fleebay allows this type of behaviour because it is policy, then anything there is not binding. Sellers can walk away from a deal anytime they are unhappy with the results. That makes the winning bids simply offers for the items.

DM

Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM
jayjay283

wish I knew this when I sold all the nitro stuff off my 8t and got $30 on what should have been $60, I could have been a fat baby and backed out. Whats this world coming to
Old 05-24-2012, 11:49 AM
flyingtheoldones

Thats what I'm saying.
There are ones who wouldn't even think about it. They would just follow through with it and keep their word. But there will always be those who would cry about it and break their word. Now if these people really dont want to pay up when they dont get what they want off this site, they sould start with the amount they want, or at least put a reserve on it. Thats what those are for.
People who do this have the same mentality of*****g outcredit cards and then filling bankruptcy to come clean and let the creditors pay for they're "mistakes". Completely taking advantage of a "loop hole". Of course they get a bad mark on their credit report for a trade of tens of thousands of dollars. I personally know a cuple people who have done this more than once. Its a shame that there channels to let them do this.
Bottom line is, you make a deal, you stick to it. If you don't like it, dont make the deal!

DM
Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
flyingtheoldones

So you started the auction low and it didn't reach what you felt it should have. But it could have gone beyond your expectations, thats why a lot of sellers start them so low. Sometimes the auction will go higher than buying an item new on another site. I've seen Proctor kits that sell for $250 from Proctor reach $300 on fleebay. Its the excitement of compitition and it starts with a low starting price and the idea that this can sell for anything.
But in this case, you gambled and you loss. So you paid up. Thats only fair for the buyer. Later when you search out something and win it at a low killer price, you'll be the one who comes out ahead, well providing the seller doesn't read this and find out that fleebay will make you pay for the sellers mistake.
Good for you. You probably pay your credit cards too.

DM

ORIGINAL: jayjay283

wish I knew this when I sold all the nitro stuff off my 8t and got $30 on what should have been $60, I could have been a fat baby and backed out. Whats this world coming to
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 PM
flyingtheoldones

New news today. The seller opened a case on fleebay to cancel the auction. When I was asked by email from fleebay to agree, I refused and then called fleebay.
A different associate from the auction site now tells me that the seller cant back down from the transaction, they must follow through. Completely different info from the previous person I spoke with just a couple days ago. If this is true, then I have to apologize to fleebay, (I did to the associate today). But I'm still skeptical about this. I'll just wait and see what happens.

DM
Old 05-25-2012, 02:49 AM
startazz

Just read through this thread and i thought he or you would have to open a dispute of some sort as i've heard about this before,the same thing happened to my brother and the good news was that the bloke had to give him what he had won and payed for,

Fingers crossed you get your item,let us know what the end result is please but i really do think if you stick to your guns you will get the item,unless the bloke close his account and back down that way but if he do as you know Paypal will have your back covered.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

That is cr@p ! I'm with you DM, you should get the item you won. A deal is a deal is a deal!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 PM
w0mbat

To me, it's no different than when people bid your item up in order to find out your reserve and then cancel their bid. Ebay allows that without issue even though your bid is a "binding contract".
Old 05-26-2012, 08:38 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I've sold a bunch of diecast cars on fleebay over the last several months, and am amazed at the disparity in fairness on the site between buyer and seller. I've been on since 2001 (100% feedback[8D]), and everything now is geared toward enticing the buyer and their protection, and screw the seller.

It was much more equal 10 years ago. They change policies - and FEES! - on a whim. When their profits slip, they raise fees. They bought and now control Paypal, so it's a huge monopoly. They make huge money on their fees and the 'float' while they hold your money, yet they don't have to report financial data because they're not a bank - even though they are bigger than many banks.

But hey, what was it you bought, anyway? And how much $?   Surprised no one's asked...
Old 05-27-2012, 05:32 PM
flyingtheoldones

Actually Paypal is creating its own legal tender. For you to change "Paypal funds" to USD when you transfer them into your bank, they charge a percentage not a fee. A fee would be a flat rate per transfer with a possible max. amount. Charging percetages is like changing you USD to Yen or Pounds. They have created there own money seperate from USD.

But anyway. I did receive wrong info. from the Fleebay rep. the first time I called. Fleebay did back me up, and told the seller to send the item. The seller emailed me stating that since they cant cancel the item, the are going to cancel their account on Fleebay.
I told the seller this is a breach of contract and a civil suit can be filed against them. They told me they are going to keep the money and sue me for harrasment and defimation of character.
I had to laugh when I read it. First time I laugh about this listing since it ended... so at least I got that out it.

DM
ORIGINAL: eddieC

I've sold a bunch of diecast cars on fleebay over the last several months, and am amazed at the disparity in fairness on the site between buyer and seller. I've been on since 2001 (100% feedback[8D]), and everything nowis geared toward enticing the buyer and their protection, and screw the seller.

It was much more equal 10 years ago. They change policies - and FEES! - on a whim. When their profits slip, they raise fees. They bought and now control Paypal, so it's a huge monopoly. They make huge money on their fees and the 'float' while they hold your money, yet they don't have to report financial data because they're not a bank - even though they are bigger than many banks.

But hey, what was it you bought, anyway? And how much $? Surprised no one's asked...
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

But hey, what was it you bought, anyway? And how much $? Surprised no one's asked...
Yeah, what did you buy DM? And I am curious how much you paid for it ?

Cheers, V.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
MetallicaJunkie

i had something like that happen to me on a non RC realted item.... the buy now price was 1100.....but the starting bid was 600.... it turned out i was the only bigger and "won" the auction at the starting price, but the seller cancelled the auction
Old 05-28-2012, 03:37 AM
flyingtheoldones

DM

ORIGINAL: vasek

Yeah, what did you buy DM? And I am curious how much you paid for it ?

Cheers, V.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I see, the guy had 9 feedbacks. I tend to not even deal with people on Ebay, unless they have a heck of alot more than that. I would just get your money back and walk. The other option would be to take a trip and drop in for a visit to pick up your winnings.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:04 AM
exeter_acres

9 feedbacks...
he has never sold.. only bought...
and one of the feedbacks is this

Didn't pay, didn't contact me or respond to messages. Unpaid item opened.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM
eddieC

I hope you get it unmolested. Sounds like a real D-bag.  []
Old 05-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only buy items from people with selling ratings over 20, and useally contact them and communicate if it seems to low. If I can help it, I stay with sellers with much higher numbers. I have only got stung once, at that was a Saito .91 that was sold as NIB and was mounted and run instead. The guy said he had no idea that it was run. I was happy though since I got it pretty cheap to begin with.