The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Best use (upgrade) of my money?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM
Natenstein

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best use (upgrade) of my money?

Icurrently fly a Dynam Hawk Sky with all stock gear from the RTF kit. I'm pretty proficient with it. Looking to do my first upgrade and I'm debating between a new transmitter or lipo charger. I guess I have done one previous upgrade, I'm using 2200mAh 20C Gen ACE lipos. I usually only fly on the weekends and I just take two lipos with me, so fast or field charging is not a big consideration.

So do I go for a nice DC lipo charger (I all ready have a 500W DC power supply) or go for a good transmitter? Either way, I would like to keep this to around a $160 - $200 budget. I realize either upgrade will be beneficial, just curious what your opinions are. I'm also not opposed to buying used gear.

Thanks for your input.
- Nate
Old 06-12-2012, 09:45 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Best use (upgrade) of my money?

Since you're asking just for an opinion, not something that is absolutely right or wrong, I will give you mine. I truly believe the ONE really important piece of equipment that a serious RC pilot can have is a really good transmitter. One really good transmitter with at least 10 model memory will be the only transmitter you ever need to take to the field with you. If you use lesser transmitters, you will end up with several and they become hard to keep track of. Which airplane is on what radio, how is the radio programmed, how many models are on that radio, etc. etc. I am talking a transmitter in the Aurora 9 category, Futaba 9C, that kind of radio. If you can pick up one of those kinds of radios on your budget, go for it. If not, save more money until you can. You can always pick up kits, ARFs, motors or such as you go, but the one big budget item you can't be without is a good transmitter.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
outdoorhunting

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hands down, a good TX. I know everybody will jump down my neck for saying this but, If you're on a tight budget, consider an older "72". They will be waaay cheaper to buy than the new "24s". You could pick up one for bargin that will handle 10 models. I know , I know, you worry about getting shot down by other "72s". If your club is like our club, there's only a couple of" 72s" left.Ya gotta thinktoo about a $100. RX foreach plane too.By doing that, you probably can afford to go ahead & get your batteries also !!! Good luck
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What about both? You can get a turnigy 9x and a decent multi function charger for under 200 at hobbyking easy.