Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

My main question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
waditup1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My main question?

Hello Folks,
I have a question for you. Is it possible that someone can not learn to fly. I am starting to think so. Up to this point I really thought I could do anytrhing I wanted. I have tried all kinds of sports and did them all pretty well after a bit of trying.Flying does not seem to be that way. I have had some of the best help one could ask for. After more than a year I can make my plane do what I want it to do most days.But for some reason I get nervos and I come home with crashed balsa. I really don't know how to control it.
We had a large turn out on Sunday,planes everywhere. I wanted to fly also.I went up and flew real good. Got ready to land and it seems like a lot of other planes wanted to land too.
I got all nevous thinking that I might hit someone's plane.tried to land too fast and crash. It was my main airplane.I have been sick about it.I know that crashing is a part of it but I can't take many like this.
Thank you. I needed to say this.
Waditup

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: My main question?

Waditup1,

I understand your frustration. There should be something to say for the help you have been getting, the culture at your field, etc. So it cannot all be you. Being nervous is all part of it and a nature feeling and yes, we may expect to crash every once in a while do to unforeseen situations. Do you get much practice flying by yourself or with minimal planes and pilots at the field? It makes all the sense if you can just burn as much fuel as you possibly can with limited or few people around. The more you fly, the more comfortable you will get. I don't know your age, but us older guys don't have some of the gifts these younger kids have. So that takes a little away from your natural abilities and self-confidence as well.

Next time it gets busy at your field and you want to fly, I suggest having an experienced pilot by your side. He/she can assist you with traffic and announcing your intentions so that you can concentrate on your plane and flying it safely. Even if it occurs to hand him/her the transmitter (only in extreme situations) to bring your plane back safely. No one should be intimidating you intentionally or if they are, you should have a talk with them privately, or don't fly when they are.

Multiple planes in the air can spell trouble sometimes, but working together will have safe and fun results. Hope that helps...

Old 06-12-2012, 02:39 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have one of the best instructors in my opinion and he has taught hundreds of folks of all ages to fly over 40+ years. He has said there have been a lot who take a very long time to get the basics down and retain it from flight to flight and over the off season they tend to get very rusty and almost have to start over again. He also told me there were one or two folks who simply could not get it. Even though they had the drive and determination it was just something they couldn't fully grasp.
Everyone is nervous when learning and it takes awhile to become confident. Hey we all get a little weak-kneed when taking up a new plane for the first time , especially when it's a big expensive one !
Hang in there and it will come to you and things will settle down during your flights!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:12 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can always ask your instructor for a couple of refresher lessons. I have instructed more pilots than I care to think off, including some pilots with disabilities, and I am always willing to give refresher courses. I have been flying for over 35 years and as mentioned, give me a new plane and I get all fumble fingered. Don't worry about it, it will all come together for you. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I hear ya! I can fly crazy stupid fast race planes but can't land worth a poop! But like the old saying goes practice, practice, practice.
The best thing I read here so far is to go out when there aren't many other people there. I know that made one of the biggest differences for me when I was starting. Just some time to enjoy what I was doing.
On the positive side of all of this hard landing business, you get pretty good at building after a while.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: waditup1

Hello Folks,
I have a question for you. Is it possible that someone can not learn to fly. I am starting to think so. Up to this point I really thought I could do anytrhing I wanted. I have tried all kinds of sports and did them all pretty well after a bit of trying.Flying does not seem to be that way. I have had some of the best help one could ask for. After more than a year I can make my plane do what I want it to do most days.But for some reason I get nervos and I come home with crashed balsa. I really don't know how to control it.
We had a large turn out on Sunday,planes everywhere. I wanted to fly also.I went up and flew real good. Got ready to land and it seems like a lot of other planes wanted to land too.
I got all nevous thinking that I might hit someone's plane.tried to land too fast and crash. It was my main airplane.I have been sick about it.I know that crashing is a part of it but I can't take many like this.
Thank you. I needed to say this.
Waditup

Think foam. Get a foam electric airplane and fly it every chance you get. If you crash just glue it back togather and fly some more. Sooner or later you wil get the hang of it and not crash so often.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:11 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Not flying well with other planes in the air is pretty common. Only one way to get over that, force yourself to fly with others in the sky. As long as you fly by yourself or with no planes in the sky with you the less likely you are to get over the uneasiness you feel. When you get to where you don't concentrate all the time on your plane and start seeing more of what is going on around you it will get a lot easier. Hang in there, it will change.
Larry
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Good advice these guys have given.
Only thing I want to add is, get a simulator. I have Phoenix #4 and really like it. Next is of course practice, practice, practice. Even though you're getting very nervous at the field with a crowd I believe the simulator will give you the confidence to really focus on your plane and your plane only.. Block out everything else around you. I've been flying a lot of years and there's times if someone is talking to me I politely ask them to quit I need to concentrate. It shouldn't offend them but if it does oh well, you can apologize when the flight is over. but follow these other suggestions also, there's a few very good ones.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM
waditup1

Thankyou for the kind advice.I am too hardheaded to quit but it sure does hurt my feelings when I look at the mess I have made of my pretty plane. To make flight after flight with no problem and then waditup is stupid in my book. I guess that as long as it not parachuting I can try again.
Waditup

Old 06-14-2012, 03:02 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

My advice to you, next time you go out do nothing but touch and goes. If you make 4 flights in a day, do nothing but touch and goes on 3 of them. It wont be long till landing becomes second nature to you, and you won't worry about landing. It's kind of like people that can hover and rolling harrier on a sim but can barely do a 4 point roll at the field. On the sim, there is no fear of the ground. Once your confidence gets up you will also loose that fear of the ground. Or at least get comfortable with it.

David
Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Live Wire

I have found out that when a person starts looking around to see what is going on, in the air and on the ground is when you start getting nervious. You take your eyes off your plane and panic and loose it. Keep your eyes and attention on the plane, use a spotter for your second eyes, this will make your flying more enjoyable and safer for you and your fellow flyers. Relax and enjoy what you are doing
Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
vicman

Spotter and touch and goes is awesome advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
NitroWoman

Take up combat flying. You will be a better pilot in record time and flying with other planes in the air will become a non issue.
Hey Vicman.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:13 PM
vicman

Hi Nitro.
I was thinking about posting the same advice, considering that's how I started but the OP was mainly concerned with landing as well. All combat planes and racers land...just not like a regular plane.

But try combat for sure. It's a great way to learn flying with others...the planes are easy to build, fix, and they take a joke pretty well.