The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where is this hobby going

Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where is this hobby going

With all that is going on in the sales and support. not going to put up names, but what a scam is going on[:@] And with all the old fart's kicking off and what they have worth nothing
Old 06-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Fly RC II
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Where is this hobby going

I'm not sure I understand your statement/question.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you have not seen some of the thing going on in this hobby . You must be NEW
Old 06-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To make it more clear, Just like mud. Looks like the old boy's that started this hobby are gone , or on their way out. The New generation are looking to clean up or well whatever. You see a lot of people selling and not producing and making a great proffit at it. Not the same as it used to be when you had to work for what you bought or sold
Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Fly RC II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I couldn't agree with you more.

Much of the blame for the decline is evolution of technology. That is a huge double-edge sword. We benefited from new radios, servos, receivers, ARF's etc. The kids now days are simply not interested in something so mechanical-based and/or physical to keep them interested. They dig killing bad guys, playing gruesome video games. They need support from there parents and grandparents just like we did when we were introduced to the hobby, but kids are not disciplined like we were. The parents are missing it too.

Its not too expensive to start off with simple electrics, but when it comes to the big stuff, that's another story. I know as a father and grandparent (grandkids are still too little yet) have involved my son Matt and has done well in the hobby. Took him right from not knowing anything about the hobby, to eating it up alive in just a few short years. Right now he's 22 going to school and with other priorities, we cannot fly as much together as we had when he was in his early teens.

It takes time, effort and TLC to involve the kids at a level where they can get hooked and realize just how fun the hobby can be. I said before that parents now days are not into there kids like our parents were for us. It was persistence that kept us in the hobby - and as for me, I had went through a 22 year low and got back into it when my farther passed away some 10 years ago. Don't know why, just came back. Its still up to us, "the ole farts" to keep pushing and nurturing the hobby. Sad to say, the older generation will be replaced with some other kind of hobby - may not be the same as we know it today, but will be something similar.

Well, enough jabber for now, hope I didn't miss the mark on this one!

Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It get interesting to watch the young generation grow up Some you can talk to others you just as well be talking to a brick wall. The fast lane is the one all young people want. It may not be the best but who cares as long as they get what they want. They could care who is selling or what they get as long as they get it NOW. That is why people take advantage of the new modeler, they in a big toot to get what they think is an easy way in, BUT they learn the hard way. Yes I raised 3 boy,s and have been there done that[8|
What I am looking at is why people will not see the problems before them when they are right before their eyes.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interesting where this hobby is going when no one cares. HK, ET and others, I have been in this hobby over 60 Yr's and do see the change. Yes we have better equipement and all but a lot more people trying to make a BUCK.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:41 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When we were kids, we didn't have video games, DVR or Shopping Malls. You could give us a stick and it became a rifle, sword, lance, or a horse, just with our imagination. The only RTFs were the Cox .049 Mustang and PT 19 and they really didn't fly. But they were fun to play with. If you wanted to really fly a model airplane, you had to build it.

Now with the millenium kid, it has to be instant. And the ARF, ARC, and the ATF plane industry was born. The result, all the great kit manufacturing companies are gone, or almost gone. The cost of labor, insurance, and government regulations have pushed most manufacturing companies over seas.

Now we have these small foam airplanes that are underdesigned, under powered and cheap flooding the market. The youngsters buy them, try to fly them, and soon tear them up. Then they go into the trash, and the youngster goes back to his video games and shopping malls.

The hobby industry, manufacturers need to get back to producing kits like we had as a kid. The Sterling Flight Streak, Ring Master, The Sig Fledgling, Das Ugly Stik and others that I can't remember. These kits were easy to assemble and flew great.

Remember when you were a kid, and you would go to the hobby shop and see all the built kits hanging from the ceiling? The guy that owned the shop would talk to you about them and give instructions on how to build them? And you could ask all the dumb questions you wanted and he never got tired of you? That is what we need today.

Frank
AMA # 5810

Old 06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great Post countilaw: All so true, yet both you and I well know all that good stuff is long past in our current world.

Living in a world where this crap can happen any time and shut down RC flying at any time, well I wonder if it's really worth it.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...bs/notams.aspx

A Stand-down Weekend for the Chicago-Land crowd.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:57 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree. The world has turned into instant and the RC Hobby is no exception. The ARF world has taken off and kits have all be disappeared as the demand for kits has fallen off with the ARF Market taking over. For me it has always been about admiring someone's built and covered plane, not looking down the flight line at half a dozen all the same ARF's. I do have a couple of ARF's, but I will always be in my shop building kits or scratch building. The newer radios have been a giant advance in RC technology, but as a whole, I have to agree with Larry, as the old folks leave this world the hobby is declining. Our club as of last meeting had over a 100 members and maybe 5 percent of the membership is under 45 years of age. We have a couple of teenagers flying with us and do all that we can to get the youth of our community involved, but there is very little interest in the younger crowd. It seems that Ipods, high tech phones and an XBox are the order of the day. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

100 members in your club. Wow ! I'd love to see 20 people working a club event without poking and prodding !
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I was younger we had 40+ members in the CAP in our club we have maybe 12 with 1 teen. Go to the book and you see young people on there constantly. Seem that the lifestyle of the younger set has changed and we are the ones that let it happen. In a few years the younger will look back and see the same things we see now O well life goes on it has been the same since the begging of time. Some of use are at the age that we just start looking back and remembering the good old day's like our kids will do in a few years
Larry K
Old 06-16-2012, 08:20 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been in the hobby for 34-35 years and yes i would like to so see more kits come out. the problem is MONEY. the amount of people that would buy a kit and the people that will buy an arf is very far apart. Now something that might help both partys would have the ARF MFG's offer thier arf in a kit form. they already have the wood cut and everything just box it up. this will allow us to still build a kit, allow the ARF MFG to make more money also. Now it maybe the same plane but now you know how its built, you can "kit bash" it and cover it with covering that will last much longer than the ARF stuff.

I am the president of my club and I am teaching a new guy at the field. He is almost to the point of a SOLO. The other day he walks up to me and asks if i can program his plane to fly off his cell phone. I guess there is a APP for the I-phone now where it will interface with the reciever and you tilt the I-phone in the direction you want the plane to fly. i have no clue how this will work but strange lol
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

IMO nothing has changed along the lines of the person getting into this hobby. Our sport draws those only interested in aviation and they happen to be in the minority. You most have a love for airplanes, nothing more and nothing less.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the old day's evey one at some time wanted to fly. Then they invented the aireoplane. Yes things have change, even man kind.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:51 AM
WaffleMan
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I Think That it is the overseas ARF manufacturures Retail-style chain stores that are making this hobby change. They are putting The localy owned hobby shops out of buisness.And the hobby stores are a big part of the hobby. I don't know how many countless numbers of people have gotten into RC because they walked into a hobby shop and thought that it looked cool and they wanted to try it. Then they would talk the the helpful guy behind the desk and might walk out with a trainer and nessecary supplies to build and fly it. With some of these chain stores, they might try to sell you a foamy mustang for your first plane. Now imagine how disapointed you would be if you just dropped 200 bucks on something that gets destroyed because you bought the wrong thing. Would you buy another plane? no. You would find something else to do with your money. 
Old 06-16-2012, 10:01 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I have been in the hobby for 34-35 years and yes i would like to so see more kits come out. the problem is MONEY. the amount of people that would buy a kit and the people that will buy an arf is very far apart. Now something that might help both partys would have the ARF MFG's offer thier arf in a kit form. they already have the wood cut and everything just box it up. this will allow us to still build a kit, allow the ARF MFG to make more money also. Now it maybe the same plane but now you know how its built, you can ''kit bash'' it and cover it with covering that will last much longer than the ARF stuff.

I am the president of my club and I am teaching a new guy at the field. He is almost to the point of a SOLO. The other day he walks up to me and asks if i can program his plane to fly off his cell phone. I guess there is a APP for the I-phone now where it will interface with the reciever and you tilt the I-phone in the direction you want the plane to fly. i have no clue how this will work but strange lol
Ain't gonna happen. The percentage of people wanting a "kit" form of the arf is maybe 5% at best. Would you spend the time and money to actually build and cover a 30% plane? I love all aspects of this hobby, but I would have a hard time building, and covering anything of size for the current price of equivalent size arf. Its not the dollars. It's the instant gratification. Thats all current youth is interested in.
zx32tt
Old 06-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

same thread, different year...

wah, wah... i have been doing this hobby myself 25+ yrs.  I had to ride my bike with my trainer under my arm to school yard to try to fly.

What hasn't changed.. what's killing this hobby? those people that can't welcome new people. And everyclub has them and they offset the 10 people there that will help.
I had to learn to fly on my own.. WHERE WAS THE HOBBY SHOP TO POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION? i was flying for a while before i even knew there were CLUBS. A world wide hobby and didn't even know there were 4-5 clubs in my area.

If i was starting out.. the hobbyshops didn't try to find alternatives to get me going, NO  you need this, most likely what ever he needed to sell.

THE CLUBS: new kid, guy, whever.. all excited .. how much to join? AMA$,CLUB$,new guy memeber cost$.. just fly my plane? ( enter the parkflyer group exploding here).  If you found a club first.. think they could point out swapmeets, auctions... NOPE.. go to the Hobby shop so he can line his pockets too.
Now we have members of clubs that don't like new guys, helicopters, 3D, electric, or the fact you haven't been breathing for 60+ years. ask a question? cold shoulder.. sit back and wait for him to crash ( remember the OLD GUY  penut galleries, they could fly anything, yet flew nothing but thier mouths.)
BEEN A MEMBER.. try to do something to draw in new people.. NOPE...take a flying leap..didn't you know this is our club...OH, then complain each month about how come no one new is coming in.
TRY to get youngsters involved , AND I QOUTE" I they can't afford to join , the can't afford to fly"... what a crock.. i'v modified airhogs with rc equip and flew cheap.. no to mention swapmeets or just a passalong plane.

SO to stop from making this real long... KEEP TELLING YOURSELF IT'S  HobbyKing, Online sales, Aliens from MARS.. IT is the WHERE we get together to fly , and how we act that make this what it is , OR else is just building stuff to hang in your house .. which is nothing more than collecting big stamps.

ohh, i love this hobby, meeting new people( some more than others)  ... and trying to help those just trying to start out.... thanks if you didn't take this personally... if you did .. well, you just might be one that needs to hold up a mirror.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:08 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like your style and have encountered every point you addressed.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tampa flyer, I am not sure what club you got hooked up with. I do know that the club I am a member of goes out of it's way to welcome new members and when we get a young person showing interest, I would not like to think about how much stuff that has been given to the younger members in order to get them in the air. We have a training program that is second to none which has a list of qualified instructor pilot's. Our club has club owned trainer aircraft just to teach and give introductory flights with. We work with the Scouts and recently started to teach the young members of the Civil Air Patrol how to fly. I am sorry that you think it is the older generation ruining the hobby and I think you are using the old adage, one bad apple ruins the whole pie, but i beleive you are wrong on this one. At least I know you are wrong if you are talking about my club. Dave
Old 06-16-2012, 12:26 PM
snir2001
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Remember when you were a kid, and you would go to the hobby shop and see all the built kits hanging from the ceiling? The guy that owned the shop would talk to you about them and give instructions on how to build them? And you could ask all the dumb questions you wanted and he never got tired of you? That is what we need today.

Frank
AMA # 5810

You are SO right...
I miss it
Old 06-16-2012, 12:27 PM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

we here at GAMA have 135 members all ages , it is a great club with friendly help without asking , great great club , i feel very lucky as we have a very supportive club cant say enough about it
Old 06-16-2012, 01:38 PM
DeferredDefect

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm 18, and have been in the hobby for about six years. As a "young person", I don't feel the problem is us, rather the materialistic and instant gratifying society we live in. We are taught through the media to have the latest and greatest, to flaunt social status and the latest iPhone, watch tonight's big game and ignore the rest. Sadly, hard work and creativity are simply not compatible with this, and the market has suffered.

It's just no longer viable to produce quality, hobby grade items when competing with mass production and a company that knows the rules of today.

Watch a few YouTube videos promoting your average foam EDF jet. You'd think anyone could fly it based on their chosen vernacular. And only $150, ready to fly? Why would I bother learning how to build one myself if it's done already? Not to mention, the comparable balsa kit costs $200 dollars and it says I should have proper RC experience first, a club field and an instructor. Sounds difficult. 

So guess which one sells? 

And of course, as magazines are dying fast, they choose to sell their add space to the foam EDF as well - the balsa manufacturers can't even afford colour adverts anymore. And the balsa kits you do see advertised? Owned by a massive corporation who's profits come from RC cars, ARTF's and toy grade products. 

This leads me to conclude that there are truly two hobbies here. The consumer hobby, which I have nothing against, and the traditional builders hobby, which has been completely obscured by the former. The manufacturers, retailers and suppliers, our hobby, has to stay afloat somehow, and that won't be through AAA grade balsa and Ambroid. 

Old 06-16-2012, 02:12 PM
yojoelay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This hobby is going to be just fine.

The way you buy gear, gain knowledge, get from the bench / box to the field may all change, but it will always be there.

I remember being a wide-eyed kid in the hobby shop, annoying the owners and spending hours wandering around just to be there. These days online shopping is more accessible, I can buy anything including quite specialized stuff with ease, and the advice is frankly better online (a few dodgy threads notwithstanding).

Sometimes you just can't get what you want locally. So, that same ingenuity that drove me to build a plane is applied to my computer and I find it overseas - take yourself back 20 odd years and trying doing that. And in less time than it took to get to the hobby shop in town. Shipping costs? Have a look a what it costs to run a car.

I remember building my first real ''40" sized kit 25 years ago. The kit, engine, radio and glue was on special for $400. Covering was extra, never mind the flight line gear. It took me 6 months to build. Looking back it was a terrifying amount of money, combined with a major investment of time and its darn lucky it worked out. My parents though i was mad. Someone, somewhere made a pretty good profit on that sale since you can pretty much buy the same thing in ARF form today for that price. Either that or the business model was so inefficient that it took the whole $400 just to produce it.

I Also remember all sorts of people complaining that all this change was going to be the end of the world. Well, big news: the world was just changing, not ending, and it will continue to change.

And if anyone is still complaining about the future, re-invest the time in figuring how how it is better than the past because most likely it is.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tell you that is one great response. Yes we give the wrong inpression of what the young people will get. The older part of the hobby is what shows the way. Yes we or some give the wrong advice , yes I am one but this is a time when young men and women have a choice. yes you shape you life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service