Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Javier-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

I think the moderators are unfriendly people. No prone to help at all.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:48 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

''Degenerated'' ... bit harsh, I think.

''Evolved'', perhaps.

As a compromise, perhaps "devolved" would be a better term.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The summertime explanation is certainly not the case as my compares on compete.com are looking at last year same time so weather/season is a constant. 

Lots of good possible explanations so far.  Certainly interested in hearing more if anyone else has some thoughts.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM
1320Fastback

I wonder if the economy has anything to do with it?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

The errors and loading issues would be my #1 choice, the economy #2. Less $$$ to spend on the hobby so no one wants to talk about what they cant do or build.

I don't think ARF's have anything to do with it, in fact, they might help it. i read the entire (HUGE!) thread on the Giant Super Sportster today looking for a home for newly acquired (used) DLE 30. LOTS of info there.

Also, considering the time of the year, people are out flying, doing basic maintenance on their stuff which will keep them away from their computers.

There a two (that I know of) rc groups on Facebook as well... not huge, but not helping either.

In there end, there is no magical answer to the original question...

Bill S.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:21 PM
GruntboyX

How about a redesign? This forum hasn't changed in years. Maybe people are leaving because it looks abandoned. My personal pieve is the super threads. Once a thread become larger than 10 pages it's time to dedicate a sub forum to it. This is bad at both rcu and rcg. It's especially evident in the radios section and the builders area. Then being new you ask a simple question and some grumpy guy rages on you for not reading the 1000+ post thread.

I would also suggest better search. It gets difficult to find valuable info. Especially when your wading through the super threads.

I think that would help.

Also, how about some fresh content? It would drive discussion.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

The issue with the site decline in my opinion has been the poor upkeep of it, since its purchase by Internet brands (If I am remembering correctly) Much of the time since I joined, the site would not load, or give strange loading errors. Some days the site was unaccessible. This made for a very frustrating experience over the course of several months. After which time I had felt I had waited long enough for issues to be handled, so I spend my time on other forums, where the sites are upgraded and kept working.

Even the classified sections show a decline in offerings and sellers got tired of trying to load pics for their ads, and eventually gave up. Reluctantly as this is consdered the best site for selling and buying, but still never the less, the frustration won over and they moved on.

I will also admit, with the issues the site has had over the last several months... the "welcoming" wagon has changed over the years and are not very receptive to those who want to ask questions. Times are changing I guess, and those that know the information, some of those are rude with their replies. Admins are expecially rude at times.

I agree that the loading issues of the site is the #1 issue. with #2 being the economy.

I do not feel ARF's have hurt the forums... as other sites show a much more "time on your hands" attitude and silly threads are started daily. Which does lead to the quality of the information available on any given forum.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

I've been on RCU for about 10 years now, and have seen a real decline in both civility, and general knowledge among users. As multiple people here have alluded to, it's almost impossible to ask any kind of question without some little twerp chiming in with "there's a search function, why don't you use it." It seems like every other post eventually turns into trying to piss eachother off- it's all about bashing others now. I don't recall it being as bad back in the early days; seemed like people were just more helpful. AND, they actually knew things. You post a question here now, and often all these people look at it, (views count) but won't respond since nobody actually knows the answer. Or, they just don't want to get involved. Additionally, and I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about RCGROUPS that seems more "electric friendly" than RCU is, maybe it's my imagination. And that's the way people are going these days. Neither forum feels "right" for seriously discussing helicopters though, I think I tend to prefer runryder or or helifreak. I dunno, maybe you're right and the hobby is dying, at least in the US anyway. Seems like there's still quite a bit of interest in other countries, so that's probably part of what's keeping all the cool new RTF releases coming.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Termites Dream
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: GruntboyX

How about a redesign? This forum hasn't changed in years. Maybe people are leaving because it looks abandoned. My personal pieve is the super threads. Once a thread become larger than 10 pages it's time to dedicate a sub forum to it. This is bad at both rcu and rcg. It's especially evident in the radios section and the builders area. Then being new you ask a simple question and some grumpy guy rages on you for not reading the 1000+ post thread.

I would also suggest better search. It gets difficult to find valuable info. Especially when your wading through the super threads.

I think that would help.

Also, how about some fresh content? It would drive discussion.

When I started flying a few years back I used the reviews section to decide what planes to buy and it was incredibly helpful. More recently I wanted to post reviews of some of my planes (Addiction X, several Extreme Flight planes, Sebart Mig 29 etc) and they are not listed. I tried to start a thread on why it looks like no planes have been added to the review section for a few years and the Moderator responded with something like "keep complaining and perhaps the site owners will take notice". OK, if the moderator is not going to do anything, who else can?

I understand how when something is new, people are excited and put in a lot of effort. As this site has aged, people, especially the site owners, dont seem as interested in keeping it up to date. It really looks stale, like the owners are letting it sit and not putting anything into it. Maybe the ad revenue doesnt justify trying to make the site better? It looks like 100% of the effort is provided by the subscribers and the moderators.

As gruntboy points out, the search function is not on par with other internet sites and some fresh content would be great.

I would be more interested in RCU if it could be kept up to date and had less bugs. I will be sure to copy this text before trying to post it!
Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 AM
airborne2.4

ORIGINAL: 1320Fastback

I wonder if the economy has anything to do with it?
That's what I'm wondering.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:29 AM
pilotchute
My Feedback: (29)

1. Controversial attitude by some make it difficult to express your opinion without often being attacked. For example, the build vs. ARF dialog is ridiculous and completely irrelevant, but how often have you seen that argument here? Seems like an individual has to rant here for some unexplained mystery.

2. With the growth of the cheap foamies, why would the younger people invest money in clubs and the AMA? Do they? I believe not. The "old guys" are not driving the new people out. OK, sure, someone may have a horror story, but by and large every guy I've spoken with in clubs has been OK. Often many extend themselves to help and are very friendly. These folks are off on their own and have no "need" to post on RCU.

3. Technical issues on RCU make it difficult to post.

4. Moderators are necessary to keep issues civil. It is NOT the moderators, but rather the individuals attacking others, many times simply for their opinion making it necessary for the moderators to intervene.

5. Material cost has to be a factor limiting new members from getting involved in the hobby other than the cheap foamies. As a result fewer people participating here as the older guys drop out. How many of the people new to the hobby that have bought a foamie will participate here? Perhps eventually but by then maybe later he's on to another pursuit.

6. As with some hobbies, r/c is changing. Are some no longer participating here as a result?
Old 06-20-2012, 03:01 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Well this site seems more civil than RCG in terms of having to walk on eggshells when you post a reply for fear of the group of users who's past time it seems is to report posts. Yes some are warranted but most are not. Lately it has gotten out of hand over there .
Old 06-20-2012, 03:22 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Controversial attitude by some make it difficult to express your opinion without often being attacked. For example, the build vs. ARF dialog is ridiculous and completely irrelevant, but how often have you seen that argument here? Seems like an individual has to rant here for some unexplained mystery.
I find this interesting having been on the forums for about 3 years now. My perception may be wrong about this but I believe I have observed quite a bit of bias with thread moderators/admins. If an admin does not care for you, you just as well not even post to a thread. Just exactly what is "off topic" or "controversial" when it comes to post and just how will that standard be measured?

It always depends on the topic however in my way of thinking I would just express something as my opinion verses what I know to be fact. How does a moderator perceive a post to be a certain way when in truth he has no way of knowing the intent behind typed text unless something in the text reveal it?

I think it comes down to a perception of what is relevant and what factors set that standard. I may deem a post entirely relevant and then a moderator come along and delete it stating it was "off topic." I believe everyone's post are important except when some is jerking others around or just trying to troll or cause trouble. Maybe to me and ARF verses build thread is ridiculous, however maybe the intent of the original poster was to find what people think about building verses ARFs these days?

An example of what may be considered off topic or possibly non-relevant is this very post I have submitted since I replied to a quote of another poster and did not explain how this is relevant to the thread as a whole, correct? I have seen many post just like this deleted because of that very reason. This is just as relevant as other things when dealing with why the traffic is down on the two web sites in question.

One thing for sure, most posters replying to the original post agree that economy and poor web site are the two main problems with web site traffic now and even a slight revamp of the site might be worthwhile to get things back in line. One thing is for sure, since IB took it over it has been "pathetic" for lack of a better word. Here where I work if we were to submit a website with this many problems many of us would not have jobs now.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Luchnia

Controversial attitude by some make it difficult to express your opinion without often being attacked. For example, the build vs. ARF dialog is ridiculous and completely irrelevant, but how often have you seen that argument here? Seems like an individual has to rant here for some unexplained mystery.

One thing is for sure, since IB took it over it has been "pathetic" for lack of a better word. Here where I work if we were to submit a website with this many problems many of us would not have jobs now.
That hits the nail on the head! Where has been the accountability? Why have paid and free users of the site been subjected to such shoddy work and upkeep? That looks to be concensus for the biggest issue of the decline on this site. Can you turn it around? No one really knows, but I do agree a "face lift" to the site would be nice.

I will admit, the trend right now seems to be with the larger plane crowd. like the 30cc size on up. And seems this site trails back to the kit building days... of which seem to be a distant memory.

However, again had the site not had the loading issues it has experienced over the last several months, I dont feel such a large decline would have been taking place.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:07 AM
GerKonig

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I think every possible RC subject has already been discussed ad nauseam.

There is just not much left to talk about. In the early days I found RC Online / Universe tremendously helpful. I still love to build and fly, but I don't have much new to discuss online.

I perceive a similar decline in other forums that I visit... bikeforums.org, qrz.org, subaruforester.org. I suspect fourm participation is generally declining. People have become saturated.

And also, I do think the RC Aircraft hobby is declining in general. The generation that loved aviation is dying off. The younger generations do not have the same connection to flight.

I agree, and I would also add that General Aviation is declining for some long time now, and we draw members from there too... Less and less full size pilots are active.

Gerry
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinwalenda

Well this site seems more civil than RCG in terms of having to walk on eggshells when you post a reply for fear of the group of users who's past time it seems is to report posts. Yes some are warranted but most are not. Lately it has gotten out of hand over there .
And then you have the polar opposite FG, where any shark attack goes. I don't post much at either of those, just ain't worth it sometimes.

Being a Admin/Moderator on another forum (motorcycle related) I'd have to say this site is very fairly Moderated
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 AM
mvigod
Banned

Perhaps it is not just one single reason but as many point out here the combination of all of them.  Put it together and you get these 1/3 declines on RC Groups and RC Universe.  Economy, alternate niche sites, fewer people entering hobby, kids playing social video games (zynga, ipad, ipod, etc), site stagnation from lack of innovation and other media (i.e. my older rcu partner started RC Pilot Magazine. A tablet based RC magazine). 

Whether one thing is mostly responsible for the declines or each just plays a small part that adds up to a bigger number.  It will be interesting to see if things pick up in the next year or two or if the decline continues.

I've always considered getting back into the game but would want to offer something a bit different and innovative.  There are so many new website and mobile apps that have popped up in the last couple years that could be applied into this hobby space.  Would be curious to hear if anybody ever said "I wish they had this/that for RC!".  Or if there are any other ideas out there.  I hate to see the excitement lost and lack of cool innovation in the RC space when it comes to sharing information or socializing between enthusiasts.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No real answers here, but I have to say I rarely encounter issues with the site, andIam on it a lot. Maybe a poll needs to done on the original question and another on what issues people are having with the site. I agree that too manyposts digress into my brand is better than yours and lets blame everything on the Chinese and arfs. I really don't care how many times you ask the same question, if I don't want to answer then I don't and if I do then I'm going to try and be helpful. Leave your bad attitude and know it all opinions at home!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I 100% feel it's the economy
Back in 2006 & early 2007 the jet fourms were just busting with new jet builds and arfs.... tons of guys showing off there new toys (which I enjoy)
Jet meets were seeing huge numbers at meets. We have a huge hit to the US and world economy and things really slowed down to almost a dead stop. I now also see plane announced ready for pre order and they don't come out for a year... it wasn't like that during the boom.

I fly at three fields each having well over 100 memebers and from all my friends and people I talk to it's the same story.... they just don't have the money to spend on the hobby like they did.
The have lost jobs, started new jobs and don't have the time to bulid and fly anymore (I'm in the same boat)

But the good news is I've been seeing things slowly getting better, more build threads, a bit more activity, and guys are showing up with new planes at the field. Most are still keeping to the smaller 60 and below sized planes.... but some are going bigger.

I really believe when the market changes around and people aren't stressed out of there minds just trying to keep there house we will see the numbers coming back to R/C..... I have friends that are into golf, boating, motorcross and it's the same story across the board, people are scared and saving there money for whats really important, keeping there home, heath care, food,...

you know the not so fun stuff
Old 06-20-2012, 06:39 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

It would be nice to have a poll like this.

Are you seeing growth and participation levels increasing at your ama club?________

Are you seeing a decline of membership and participation at your ama club?________

Are you seeing steady membership and participation at your ama club______
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

It is most definitely the economy first. No rational person is going to spend money on a luxury if they are worried about covering the necessities.

Similar declines in traffic across both sites would indicate there is a general drop in activity all around. Since the measurement was taken at the same time of year, that throws out the "everybody is out flying" argument.

The same thing is happening on surface RC sites. A truck site I frequent is nearly dead. 3-4 years ago it was a huge site with thousands of members. Today, less than 100 replies to anything on a given day.

Traxxas is also nearly dead, compared to where it was a short time ago.

People are having a hard time affording a hobby that requires a significant investment of time and money when they are worried about paying the mortgage.

Grumpy "old timers" and "heavy handed mods" perceptions are a problem of virtually every forum community I have ever been a part of. People lose perspective over time. As they transition from being the "wide-eyed newbie"to the "This question has been asked 15 times already" guy they tend to forget why the forum exists in the first place. Mods change over time, too. When the job is new to them, they enjoy helping the site and mediating disputes. It doesn't take long for them to realize that the bickering never stops with some members, and the job is a complete time drain. It's also the most thankless job you can ask for. It's no wonder a mod who has served any length of time in a forum gets surly or power mad after a while.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:35 AM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with the poll idea, but take it much broader.

I think all of us in the hobby would like to find something out there that is the latest and becomes the greatest, just like RCU was in the beginning. There are a lot of people unhappy with how RCG is ran and that the system is overly censored with a point scale that doesn't work.
I hope in the back of your mind Mark that you are thinking about making this place what you made it in the beginning and give back to the folks what we've lost but in a whole new fashion.
Come up with a poll that captures the data that gives you the frame work. Get the answers, what works well, what doesn't work so well, what matters most and so on and so forth.

Go beyond opinions.

Make it count.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
LaTuFu
My Feedback: (1)

If you are planning to start again, you'll probably need to start over somewhere else.  IB has run this site and RCTech into the ground.  All they care about here is page views and clickthroughs.  Site upgrades? Forget about it.  Squeeze every penny out of it you can.  That seems to be the motto of the new ownership.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

I live my days engulfed in business, handling very large accounts nationwide and excel in marketing advancements for companies. I've been involved in the RC industry for several decades ( on a local as well as a national level ) and active on a few websites for sometime now. So, I hope my POV is taken into account.

The answer(s) to your question seems simple. The decline of traffic on RC sites, I feel, is comprised and attributed to multiple reasons. First reason is: the constant techincal errors on RCU are a PITA and deter many users away from the site. Also, as a generalization I find the users on RCU to be less experienced modelers than I do on RCG and after reading many related comments to the subject, this tends to stear hobbiest towards RCG to get better answers to their questions. One of the positives of RCU, is the market place ease of use, sales options and structured, which I prefer over RCG.

Also, the bigger culprit to the decline in activity is the market conditions. MANY americans are struggling financially, conserving, and just arent spending money on much these days, especially RC toys. The decline of traffice on websites is in near direct relation to the decline hobby shops and distributors are seeing.

RON101 hit the nail on the head. Many folks are just trying to feed their families and keep their homes.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 AM
airborne2.4

I can imagine a lot of guys are visiting TH, HH, AW, EF, etc. but if they're looking at bills stacked up on the kitchen table they won't be pulling out a CC to purchase a new model, engine, battery, radio etc. I'm sure we all love the new products but who's gonna purchase them or/and talk about em when you're thinking about Mr. light bill, Mr. water bill, Mr. phone, cable, grocery, diapers (I have a six month old) rent or mortage and the list goes on. I say we boycot Mr. Bill lol lol. This guy could drive ya nuts[:@] I don't think this hobby or any hobby is at the top anybody's list of priorities for now. We'll probably see a lot of activity here and on other sites when the economy turns around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.