Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Four * Forty vs. Somethin' Extra

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Four * Forty vs. Somethin' Extra

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:35 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four * Forty vs. Somethin' Extra

For those of you who have flown both, which is the most fun to fly?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Four * Forty vs. Somethin' Extra

In my opinion, the Something Extra. That is really an apples and oranges comparison, though as they are very different airplanes.

Brian
Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Agreed they are very different. The 4* is closer to a low wing trainer. It is a great flyer, but the dihedral in the wing takes some of the aerobatic out of it. The SE does not knife edge well, but it is better at 4 point rolls, rolling circles, snaps , spins and inverted flight. How much fun each of them are depends more on your flying style than your choice of plane. I enjoy the SE more, but it fits my style better. Maybe if we knew what you have flown that you liked???? We could tell you which one flys close to that.

David
Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Live Wire

Hey Pop
If you are looking for a versitile plane the SSE is it. You can start your day with a mild flight with a change of the TX you can be in the wild and dangerious zone. It is one of the best all around planes a person can have.Mine is over 10 yrs old and I can not remember how many times it has been rekitted
Old 06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Well, I think you've answered my question. It pretty much confirms what I had already suspected and that is that the SE is more fun to fly while the four star is easier to fly. I have both and have flown both and probably actually enjoy flying the SE more, but the Four Star is like it's on rails. My problem is that I really am attached to the planes that I have built and have a real problem when I lose one.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Live Wire

In this hobby you do not get attached to a plane . It may go any time and you will have to just rebuild or replace . Just like thing'd in life we learn to keep going to the next level.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 4* as mentioned ealrier is a low wing trainer.. SSE is more of a sport funfly pane.. slightly more advanced
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

The Four * is the perfect second plane for someone looking to improve their skills as opposed to punching holes in the sky. The SE is an early attempt at a versatile aerobatic plane (before there was 3D) which is outdated and heavy compared to others in it's class. A wide prop with very low pitch and moving the CG way back behind the stock location will make it fun to fly but all the flaperon settings are a waste of time. I built two from kits back in the day.