Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Spectrum DX8 (Buyers Beware)

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Spectrum DX8 (Buyers Beware)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:16 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spectrum DX8 (Buyers Beware)

Hey guys. I have been running a DX6I For a few months now with no problems what so ever. I have been running two planes with AR 6200 Receivers and one parkflyer with a AR6110. NO problems. I recently bought a DX8 it came with an Ar 8000 receiver. that receiver works fine so far. the problem is when i tried to bind all of my planes to the dx8 it knocked all three receivers out. The only receiver that will work with the dx8 is the Ar 8000 that came with the radio. I tried to rebind them to my dx6i and they are toast. I have contacted spectrum and now have to wait to fly while everything is mailed in and checked out.

Has anybody else had problems with the dx8 thanks
Old 11-20-2010, 04:49 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Spectrum DX8 (Buyers Beware)

I seriously doubt binding or attempting to properly bind to a transmitter, any transmitter, will "knock out" a receiver.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:57 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, have had the DX 8 for a couple of months. Before I downloaded the 1.4 firmware update I bound most of my parkflyers to the 8, around 9 receivers from AR 6100 to the Hobby King cheepies without any problem. Was saving the original receiver AR 8000 to fly a new Addiction X. Flew the combo on 1st outing with no problems. Before going out again, was able to download the 1.4 firmware with no problems. Since I did all the range and binding checking the first time out, why do it again? Aileron servo chatter should have warned me something was not right. Kept the airplane in close for its first flight of the day. Ailerons were fine, but the elevator had a noticable delay of around 1/2 second, very strange feeling. After a little flight time I landed to check things out. Did not range check, but went through the entire system and found nothing. Installed a fresh battery and went up again. The elevator delay was still there, maby a little worse. Drifted out 100 feet or so while torque rolling. Lost everything when I tried to return closer in. Down she went as I tried to reset the throttle. Went into a ditch, but somehow poped up again and out of control she went again. Got some control back before going streight in. When I got it back, the wheel pants had some cracks, engine cowel a little dirty, main landing gears a little loose. Was able to repair with no problems. While under repair I ordered a new receiver from Horizon, the carbon fiber safe job. The Addiction X is full of carbon fiber. After install, no aileron servo buzz, quickly bound, everything working fine. Now there is no elevator delay, everything normal. Maby the original receiver has a problem, or the carbon fiber surrounded location (stock) was bad. My gut feeling is that the original firmware download was corrupted. Downloaded it again just to be safe, everything is good again.

Just bound two new receivers to the 8 with no problems. Dont see how you can burn out a receiver just by the binding process, but guess anything is possible these days. Good luck!! ENJOY
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
arnaudv

Would like to echo Spectrum DX8 (Buyer Beware)

Spectrum DX8 has issues I have lost two planes in two weeks trying to use a new DX8 Transmitter with DS2 receivers.
When binding to the transmitter everything seems normal, loss of elevator control was the culprit in both cases at medium range.
These were two different original equipment Spectrum receivers in both cases AR6200 DSM2 6-channel receivers with DuaLink antenna.
The first plane lost was a precision aerobatics Extra 260 which does have a bit of carbon fiber in it but presented no problems when flown with a Spectrum DX7 transmitter hundreds of times.
The second plane lost today 05-01-2011 was a Parkzone T28 Trojan as we all know and love a foam plane.
Really confused at this time I have a big investment in Spectrum equipment, however loosing planes due to lack of control is expensive and frustrating.
A flying buddy of mine just purchased a DX8 transmitter a few weeks before me and he is not having any of these issues?
Should I be considering an alternative vendor like Futaba?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I have had zero issues with my dx8 and believe it has been more than beneficial having the telemetry! I have learned to watch older batteries, over a year and a half in age, much closer since my telemetry monitors receiver battery min and max voltage. I found that a few of my older receiver batteries were to weak to handle my high torque servo load in a couple of planes. One plane was dropping as low as 5.4 volts in flight. Replaced the older batteries and voltage in flight has not dropped below 6.4 volts. Also did you monitor your radio telemetry after the crash and see what the radio performance was during the flight. You are using the telemetry module, if not, maybe you should because then you would know what went wrong! Did you set up the warnings to alert you if a problem was occurring?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

I have had zero issues with my dx8 and believe it has been more than beneficial having the telemetry! I have learned to watch older batteries, over a year and a half in age, much closer since my telemetry monitors receiver battery min and max voltage. I found that a few of my older receiver batteries were to weak to handle my high torque servo load in a couple of planes. One plane was dropping as low as 5.4 volts in flight. Replaced the older batteries and voltage in flight has not dropped below 6.4 volts. Also did you monitor your radio telemetry after the crash and see what the radio performance was during the flight. You are using the telemetry module, if not, maybe you should because then you would know what went wrong! Did you set up the warnings to alert you if a problem was occurring?
you pointed out some valid points
Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

So far I've had no issues with my DX8..
OK 1 crash with my Merlin but that was due to the motor rubbing through a wire and shorting the ESC in the middle of a downwind turn. Instant loss of rx power at a bad moment..

I've bound it to 2 AR6100E RX's the AR8000 and my BNF blade MCX.. No issues so far with it..
I did a range check today on the Merlin with an AR6100E. With the TX in low power mode I still had control at 220'

It's running Airware 2.01

The only odd ball thing that has tricked me into thinking I had a problem is the polarity on the receiver plugs..
The AR8000 plugs are flipped vs the AR6100E's so you may plug the servos in backward and think it's dead.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
arnaudv

Hi Kurt

Thanks for the advice I will use the new AR8000 receiver with the telemetry module to monitor the receiver voltage.
All my old batteries will get special consideration, replacing old batteries with new ones is much cheaper than replacing planes.
Personally I still feel that there is some kind of issue with DSMX TX and DSM2 receivers, however this ispurely based on myrecent experiences.
Today Ispoken to Horizon support, they were very helpful and have recommended I shipthe DX8 Transmitter and Spectrum DSM2 receiver in questionto them for further testing on their special test equipment.

Will keep you guys posted.......
Old 05-04-2011, 07:45 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: sscherin

Instant loss of rx power at a bad moment..
And when exactly is a good moment for instant loss of rx power? [X(]
Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Jon DesJardins

Just a heads up I have flown my TREX 600 off a DX6i for six months and no issues. Stepped up to the DX8 and BAM... Both my 450 Pro and 600 have lost all power within 1 month! Both running off AR6200's.... I will be calling tomorrow.

Very pissed customer...

Receiver was blinking so it did lose bind
Old 05-15-2011, 11:39 PM
highhigh
Banned

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

ORIGINAL: kurt2022

you pointed out some valid points
Yup, some nice points for sure.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

ORIGINAL: spoolinaww

Just a heads up I have flown my TREX 600 off a DX6i for six months and no issues. Stepped up to the DX8 and BAM... Both my 450 Pro and 600 have lost all power within 1 month! Both running off AR6200's.... I will be calling tomorrow.

/expletive deleted/

Receiver was blinking so it did lose bind
That means you lost power, not "bind"
Old 05-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Jon DesJardins

Like when you turn off the Heli, then back on it blinks.
I lost all power as well as cyclic and after everything was turned off and right back on it all works again.

I am the third or forth person this has happened to here in AZ and my local shops have experienced the same with the 8 and other DSM2 receivers like the AR's that I listed above.

Everything will be sent in, I have flown all my Heli's on a cheap 6i for a year and within a month of going to the 8.... They are just dropping like flies with no fault of ESC's, motors, servos, mechanical... Etc

I have used Spektrum for years in all my buggies, trucks, planes and Heli's.
Very very discouraging
Old 05-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Jon DesJardins

BEC lights were still on also so why no cyclic control? After turning the BEC and transmitter off and back on all controls worked and power to the ESC/motor right away.

I'll send it all in and wait for a bulletin to appear in the near future regarding DSM2 receivers & binding with the 8x softwares.
I wouldn't fly with an 8 unless it's with the receiver designed with it or any of the newer receivers that have DSM X on the casing.

That's just my horrid and expensive experience after going to an 8, and remember I have flown all my birds with the same set-up and components for 6 months with no issues until "upgrading" to the DX8.
:-(
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Jon DesJardins

Update, sending in all rx's and my DX8 for "testing"

Now keep in mind all DSM2 rx's were labeled to bind correctly with the X software, there are already 3 versions of X and a full line of updates rx's replacing the DSM2's... I'll be waiting for results and bulletins/claims from those that have many aircrafts using the older rx's.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM
arnaudv

Hi Guys

Big update, according to Horizon My DX8 TX was put on the test bench and they were unable to test it since the motherboard was faulty.
Horizon Hobby have very kindly replaced the DX8 transmitter with a new on and also replaced the AR6200 DSM 2 with a new AR6210 DSMX receiver.

The other three DSM2 receivers I sent into Horizon for testing were also replaced.
2 x AR6200 DSM2 rxs replaced with new AR6210 6-Channel DSMX receivers
1x AR500 tested was also replaced with a new AR600 Sport DSMX receiver.
The Horizon test report stated that all three DSM2 receivers were not ranging??????

Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Jon DesJardins

Very happy you received new items but it's a hide (in my opinion) to the fact the X software doesn't work correctly with DSM2 products.

I expect the same, but that doesn't negate the fact I have lost over a grand in parts, battery packs, canopies...etc on all of my align TREX's.

I'll post when I get my info back as it will be sent out this weekend.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 PM
okdreamin

Hey guys,  i  noticed several of you have problems with your dx8 as well.  update.  got all my stuff tested.  they denied a problem but replaced every item sent in plus sent a free hat and another strap.  they know they have a big problem but in my opinion like alot of yours  are trying there best to keep it under raps.   my radio will work fine with a ar8000 receiver, but i am getting  servo chatter with the 7 channel receiver, and am afriad to put that gasser up.  i have to stick by my guns on this one.   Buyers Beware on the DX8  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Jon DesJardins

Can anyone say class action...
Old 05-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Jon DesJardins

Found another person who lost control of their 700E after upgrading to the DX8.

They will follow the same "steps" of bench testing.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Jon DesJardins

So if you have not seen yet, Spektrum has sent out the first steps in email notification to enrolled customers regarding the fail of DSMX and DSM2. Requesting some transmitters be sent in for testing.

As I thought the Public reach is around the corner.
Still waiting for my call from Horizon regarding my items sent in and what they are going to do for me...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
okdreamin

Hey  spoolinaww.  I hope they give u one of the new radios with the newer software,  not the update software for the older version.  Im not very happy with my dx8 at all.    im flying a 330 extra with a dle 55 with the ar8000 without problems at this time.  but i have a 7 channel receiver on a differant gasser and   i have uncontrolled right aleron flutter.  and yep i have tried differant servo,  extensions , ect  .  if i put my  ar8000 in it it stops and works correctly.   also im flying a eflight mini stick with a 6 channel receiver in it.  after a flight the receiver light flashes constantly ,  showing numerous hits.    the dx8 is flawed ,  all i can say is  if you put anything up without an ar8000 in it you better say your prayers. 
Old 06-02-2011, 07:28 AM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Here is a link to the product bulletin..

It covers most DSMX transmitters and the DX8 gimbal issue.
http://publications.horizonhobby.com...rchive?id=3714
Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Jon DesJardins

Unfortunate it is to late and costly for many faithful customers to the Spektrum products...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Jon DesJardins

I expect a call tomorrow morning so I can see if I'm being sent new receivers and why my "screen" was replaced before it's all sent back... Not happy with the first customer service response after I called and couldn't get any info even though it "should be ready" tomorrow for send out except that it's following the 6/2 bulletin where firmware is updated and nothing about the receivers.

Tomorrow will be an informative conversation with the tech I assume especially concidering the screen was replaced! The transmitter was so new all the plastic was still on it, I assume it was damaged.
After tomorrow I will either by a very disappointed EX-horizon customer or happy with some punitive results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.