Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Just a new guy sayin' "Hey"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Just a new guy sayin' "Hey"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:35 PM
PapaHeugz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a new guy sayin' "Hey"

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the site and forums, and RCin general. Ispent plenty of time as a kid building model cars, boats, andplanes, and quite a bit of model railroading, with my dad, big brother, and grand-dad. Alas, as happens with many young men, around the age of 15 my attention turned from plastic frames andcrazy glue to loud guitars and smiling girls.

20 years later, those loud guitars and smiling girls are yesterdays news. Nowadays, it'sbring the 'padre' of my ownfamily that gets my attention.So, looking for a break from the "summers-spent-in-the-backyard" this year, we invested in a little camper this spring, and dropped it in a year-round campsite about an hour west of our house, where we'll be spending our weekends until the fall.

Looking forward to teaching my kids the finer points of camping, fishing, swimming, and a little bitof outdoor livingwere my goals this year. But one saturday afternoon at the campground watching other dads and sonscruising around theirRCbuggies, boats, and park flyers left my little man, age 9, with that wide eyed look of excitement that I think strikes a chord with all of us dads. So now we find ourselves diving head-first into the RCworld.

We're not sure which direction we're headed - cars, buggies, planes, boats, rockets - who knows? But we'll take it one step at a time and surely try and have some fun along the way. You folks have put together a fantastic site here with gobs of awesome information, and I thank you for providing us rookies such an awesome resource. I look forward to reading, researching, and hopefully sharing some of my own personal experience as our family begins our journey.

So in closing, good to meet you folks, and can't wait for the weeks, months, and years to come!

(now where did Iput that dremel tool...)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Just a new guy sayin'

"Hey " back at you. Note that model rockets are fast, fun, easy to build together and minimal risk of a crash disappointing everyone. For a 9 year old a GREAT place to start. And kids LOVErunning after the descending parachute or streamer.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
PapaHeugz

Thanks Charlie. Rockets are likely our first foray, particularly with the initial investment being pretty reasonable.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And Daddy doesn't tend to hog the controls. 

Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy yourself.

Frank
Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, do them all, cars, boats, anything that flies and creates and explosion is a must.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:31 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Papa, welcome and don't be afraid to ask a question or 2. By the way, where in Mich. ???? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Welcome from Nevada..
Old 06-22-2012, 02:00 AM
PapaHeugz

Thanks for the welcome gang. Red Head, I'm near Detroit, about 20 minutes west.

Igot in touch with some folks from the Michigan Signal Seekers RCflyers club this week, so I'm going to take a trip out and meet those folks soon. Until then, I'm still reading up on some flight simulators and what not. I'm also doing my best to understand the communications aspect of the hobby, as I'm not really keen on radio technology.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brighton area ?? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Live Wire

And just think, you can set them up where they some times land where you fire them from