Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ignorant people who should know better

Old 09-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Ignorant people who should know better

Borzak: Thanks for a most interesting thread. This one will go down in history. There is another thread posted right above this one entitled "Is everybody a freakin moron?" I didn''t think so until I read both your post and Campbell's reply, and then I knew that there is at least one moron in the hobby, YOU!

I suggest you sell your plane and get out of the hobby. You have damaged your reputation beyond repair. Also, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the rearview window when you are driving. Some poor ignorant state trooper might just be following you.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:42 AM
BasinBum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are two sides to every story, and then there is the truth.
Jim, your being a little hard on the Beaver don't you think?

Borzak, as someone who's been ripped on RCU before I can say don't let them get to you. If you feel your right, stand your ground and wait till the dust settles. I'm waiting to hear back from Steve C. after he talks to the Trooper in question, since I wasn't there like the rest of the folks in this thread.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:52 AM
Borzak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Jim Messer

I suggest you sell your plane and get out of the hobby. You have damaged your reputation beyond repair. Also, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on the rearview window when you are driving. Some poor ignorant state trooper might just be following you.
Ruined my reputation with anoynymous people I never see? Hmm yeah I'm really screwed now.

How can this thread get so blown out of proportion? Keep an eye on my rear view mirror? I've never met the original trooper, the one I called, or SteveCampbell (which I assume is an OK guy/trooper just sticking up for his guy after he heard a tape - not actually being there at the incident.

As far as I know none of them have any clue who am I beyond Adam.

Of course I guess conspiracy theorist will guess he got my license plate number. Which really won't help since the vehicle I take the plane out to is registered to a company and not an invidiual - shrug.

I fly 4 days a week (about 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of fuel) lately and they're welcome to stop by the field and chat....

Good grief charlie brown.

I will stick by my guns tho. I would hope that an educated adult who is a State Trooper charged with public safety would see the concern of blocking the view of someone flying a REMOTE controlled airplane while it it's in the air. Hence - the part where people should know better.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:58 AM
Johnnylightning

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by BasinBum
I'm waiting to hear back from Steve C. after he talks to the Trooper in question, since I wasn't there like the rest of the folks in this thread.
I'm still waiting to hear from David A. Whatever happen to that guy?!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:02 AM
rw Guinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see now that the cop "partially collapsed" the antenna (wasn't mentioned before) and started out behind him-whereas in the first post he just appeared in front....
It gets better and better...
Methinks the fellow doth protest too much...
Old 09-04-2003, 01:03 AM
flicka5

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Humor?

We had a trooper many years ago who would come to our field and park his patrol car at end of our flying strip, turn on his radar and let our members go full throttle across the top of his patrol car and then report the indicated speeds to the RC pilots. Always wondered how he would explain a gaping hole in his windshield if the flier got too low in his dive approach.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:05 AM
splatt1o1
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Borzak,

grow up and apologize like a man
Old 09-04-2003, 01:51 AM
apman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeeze Louise, Borzak! You ask "how can this get so blown up out of proportion?"

Sit back and read your original post from a strangers point of view.

You were ranting with bad language and calling this young trooper all kinds of bad names.

And for what?

All he really did was startle you a little and obstruct your line of view, but you managed to land your model OK.

So your reaction is to get on this post and do everything but beg the powers of hell to get him.?

You're the one that blew it out of proportion by even posting this silly incident, especially in the manner you used.

If this is your reaction to a relatively mundane flying field incident, what would be your reaction to something happening at the field that is REALLY disruptive, You gonna shoot someone, or smash their "ignorant" face with your flight box?

If you stay in this hobby for any real length of time, I can assure you, you are going to see stuff that will make your heart stop cold and your knees shake, and you better hope that you can keep your cool. If you can't maybe another hobby might be your best bet.

Rick
Old 09-04-2003, 01:59 AM
rw Guinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ignorance is a curable disease-everyone has it to one extent or another. A little education goes a long way.
Stupidity, however, is often fatal.

Unfortunately, most people can't tell the difference....

Roger
Somewhere out West-I think.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:18 AM
jneesy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you would have gotten alot further with "excuse me , you blocking my view of my aircraft let me land and we'll talk" thats the problem with the world , no common courtesy. the officer probably didn't know he startled you that much . and you said before that you couldn,t hear approaching cars because the road is right behind you and later you say the road is 350 yards away . he must have assumed that the average fool would have heard him pull up . but your not just an "average" fool , are you ?

ps; be careful what toes you step on today they might just be attached to the ***** you have to kiss tomorrow .
Old 09-04-2003, 02:29 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default uh...

You said you wished you would have crashed your plane into his patrol car? That sir is just stupid-(and illegal if done intentionally-)

If he was responding to a call, then he had a lawful right to be there....

How dare he accidentally stand "kinda" in front of you, being FRIENDLY, while on Police business- :stupid:

And you called "the station"? Thank goodness!

You need to:

A. Count to 10, then reread and EDIT your post with an apology
B. Get counseling
C. Drink heavily
D. Both B&C
Old 09-04-2003, 03:15 AM
Tall Paul

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Steve Campbell2
Okay; here's the rest of the story.

Have a large day...

Steve
Hey, Steve, long time no see!
This IS a bizarre thread, I must say!
Beats anything those conspiracists came up with!
You got the conversation on tape, and SITLL it's disputed! Some people!
Old 09-04-2003, 03:35 AM
HoovDriver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default scottrc

Scott you are a true poetic, I thought I was getting a real laugh out of reading this post everytime I log on and then I got to your reply, I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. you have a great way of summing up what this thread has become in a small paragraph, but for the entertainment I am getting out of all this it is really worth it, hope it doesnt get banished and erased. Oh and Janet you never answered me is that your real pic j/k,

ZK
Old 09-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Borzak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by jneesy
. and you said before that you couldn,t hear approaching cars because the road is right behind you and later you say the road is 350 yards away . he must have assumed that the average fool would have heard him pull up . but your not just an "average" fool , are you ?.
I've got nothing to win in this thread anymore. I can see that everyone that wasn't there knows exactly what happened, the perfect way to act.

But now your just pulling stuff out of your ass that you have no clue about.

The trooper that posted here brought up the road and mentioned it was easy to get above during an approach - by that I assumed he was talking about the highway that one "might" actually cross during an approach this is perpindicular to the runway - and is 300+ yards away in that direction.

The same road then curves behind the pits area (yet you can't see it because of our facilities and a tree line) and is very near the flight line - hence the noise.

Just so that I don't look like I'm making it up all along here's a photo of our field. Since you seem to have some physic powers that you "knew" what was going on.

Our field is in the curve - the light green and dark green areas - basically anything that isn't a road in that picture. Our flight line paralells the road at the bottom and you can see the row of sheds that runs the lenght of the runway.

While it's possible to overfly the road at the bottom (not sure which is the state highway - they're 2 different roads even tho they appear to be the same - they change in the curve) the trooper who posted here said "flying over during an approach" I don't know how you fly - but we make an approach away from us and turn back toward the runway - I made the assumption that the only way of flying over the highway he mentioned was to the right. Not behind the pit area - tho it's highly possible if you loose control.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:26 AM
jneesy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do you still have all your teeth ? just wondering , because people with your attitude tend to get assaulted quite often .
Old 09-04-2003, 08:55 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have any more time to deal with this right now, since I'm leaving for a detail in a half hour and won't be back until late Friday. But I WILL talk to that youngster; not to get his side of the story, because I really don't care one way or the other what happened out there, Borzak- you made a serious slash at my profession, and knowing there is ALWAYS another side -usually less than flattering to the complainant- to any complaint, I got the details of what followed. I do want to assure the youngster that there are some nice guys in the ranks of R/C, because he will no doubt be told that someone called in a complaint on him- even if they didn't have the stones to make it official and identify themselves.

Borzak, you're right; nobody will be "gunning" for you. We deal with irate folks all day, every day. Goes with the job. That young trooper had probably forgotten about you an hour later.

And the lousy flying comment referred to the propensity of newbies to fly over the road behind the pits while struggling with an approach. I was a member of that club for five years. I saw it happen many times. If you haven't yet, you will see it; if you haven't done it already. And that new BREC soccer complex across the road (which, by the way IS the same road on either side of the curve- LA 42) means more scrutiny.

You have my name; lots of folks there still remember me. Believe what you will. Again, what happened at the field is not important to me. Just don't get on a public forum and slam my profession when your own skirts aren't clean.

Steve
Old 09-04-2003, 12:48 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW, Borzak, I am a Louisiana State Trooper.

BUSTED!!!! LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Open mouth, insert foot
Old 09-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Johnnylightning
I'm still waiting to hear from David A. Whatever happen to that guy?!
David A. got scared away from this place. He was flamed beyond recognition. So sad. He was new to the sport, and got scared away because some people thought it was funny to flame him. Oh yeah, and most of it was for using his picture for an avitar. In fact, Bak_Woods_Hik is actually an existing RCU member who signed up again as a way to further humilate him. Kinda like what 90% of you guys are doing to Borzak. I didn't think RCU tolerated flaming. And, I think it is awfully irresponsible of you guys to take the troopers side in this because of what 'Steve Campbell' says. Two sides to every story, etc.

Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. RCU is a glass house. I'm siding with Borzak on this one.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:50 PM
Deadeye

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Steve Campbell
Just don't get on a public forum and slam my profession when your own skirts aren't clean.

Steve
And why are you taking this so personally, Steve? My wife is a City Judge, my brother is a Deputy. Some of my closest friends are cops. Some cops are jerks. This trooper did something he shouldn't have, Borzak stated that ( and I don't think ANY of you would appreciate being 'snuck' up on like that). And you thought it would be a hoot by calling his bluff. So you're a cop, big deal. All you did was check out Borzak's story, and offer a second side. Those of you who sided with Steve, and saying Borzak was 'busted' are ignorant. All Steve did was offer another side of the story.

Yeah, this is an entertaining thread, but it may be doing real damage to Borzak's confidence. Some of you should really stop and think about what kind of damage your typed words do.

Give a young guy a badge and a gun, and watch out!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Blackie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hate the fact that Scott has to compare me with BB on this but I'll have to admit this thread is an attention getter, BB as far as your thread of the LOL, goes I would have to say that perhaps you and Bozark may be related.

Ok all kidding aside, I know how I was when I first soloed, nervous, very nervous, so I can see that perhaps Borzark's reactions were out of line, but due to being startled and having his concentration disrupted, I can see his frustration. I myself always when approaching a pilot let them know that I am walking up behind them on my approach. I then stand so that I am not blocking their view of the plane. The fact that a trooper unknowing what he's doing might be ignorant, and I use this word lightly to the situation (unknowing), but what I don't get is why he would position himself so close that he collapses the antenna.

Blackie
Old 09-04-2003, 01:52 PM
Ross Kean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think I have to agree with Deadeye as well - at least to some extent.

1) An error in judgement was (apparently) made by the trooper.
2) The pilot reacted (possibly over-reacted) and stayed mad too long. We've all been there and done that.

Big deal! The flames going back and forth DO NOT BELONG HERE!! The message I got from the original post was that it would be nice if spectators understood and respected rules at the field and appreciated the necessity of safety.

There is no need to try to punish Borzak unless it makes you feel superior in some way because you are SURE you have never over-reacted to any situation in your dim, dark past. Grow up (everybody) and flame away at me if you feel the need. I have a thick skin!

Ross
Old 09-04-2003, 02:25 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Ross Kean

1) An error in judgement was (apparently) made by the trooper.
2) The pilot reacted (possibly over-reacted) and stayed mad too long. We've all been there and done that.
well said. There are 2 things I don't really understand. When you walk up to someone obviously flying a model plane, why would you position yourself between that person and the plane? Even if you know nothing you would think that common sense dictates not to do that.

The other thing I don't get is why would you let yourself get so worked up over it. Yea, maybe the officer screwed up, but why not just explain to him that you can't fly what you can't see and move on. I don't think most of the people are flaming Borzak for being wrong, they are flaming him for his inappropriate actions.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Steve Guinn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not siding with anyone. I did not need to hear the other side of the story. My opinion was formed from the original post.

Who knows, might be a good guy, we all make mistakes.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Crashem

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Seems to me that Borzak was looking for a flame fest from the title of his thread.

"Ignorant people who should know better"

That in itself is funny if your ignorant then by definition you Don't know better"

What I got from the initial post was someone who assumed that a "trooper" who from borzak's own description was not well informed about R/C should somehow by virtue of his occupation "know" proper flying edict. Please be real, I can't count the number of times people adults and children have come up to me while flying I've even had people drive up on the "runway" to chat and watch. I've always explained the dangers to these people in a polite manner. As far as concentrating so hard that a person is able to "sneak" up on you my advice to Bozak and any others is simple NEVER fly without a spotter. Situational awareness is an extremely important part of this sport if it requires 100% concentration to fly the plane then flying without a spotter is a Major safety violation on the pilots part.

I've had deer,Cows full-scale sailplanes, people and many others distract me while flying its our job to not only be aware of the plane while in flight but also any and all potential obstacles that could become a hazard during that flight. "Tunnel vision" is dangerous.

Calling someone a dumb***** because of their ignorance is uncalled for and only lessens the credibility of the person hurling the insult.

Don't confuse ignorance with stupidity. stupidity requires and understanding of the offense and implies that an individual knowing the risks made a decision to ignore said risk. While ignorance implies that the person had/has no understanding of the ramifications of their action(s).

BTW This is the funniest thread i've seen to date on RCU. IMHO Bozak overreacted and was called on it.
As far as taking the troopers side... I'm not either I do find it telling that in later posts certain aspects of the story seam to have changed
Old 09-04-2003, 02:45 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys, please watch your language. I've gotten some complaints, and I don't want to have to resort to editing out words in other people's posts. If it continues, I will--fair warning. Also, let's not make this a flame fest, or I will simply close it.

There is something that I don't understand. All this talk about field of view is quite confusing to me. Unless Borzak is quite small of stature and the officer was quite tall and wide, I don't see how the plane could have been out of view for more than a split second. I regularly take my eyes off of my plane when I fly, sometimes at times of my choosing and sometimes not. In either case there is no problem. When something happens I simply climb a bit higher.

Also, I'm assuming Borzak was alone at the field. This is a fine example of why it's beneficial to have a buddy with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.