Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby stores in Dearborn Detroit?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby stores in Dearborn Detroit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 08:12 AM
rcfanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby stores in Dearborn Detroit?

Hi guys,

I have to make a business trip to Dearborn, Detroit next week, does anyone know of any hobby stores in that area?

Thanks for any help
Steve
Old 09-05-2003, 12:46 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Default Hobby Shops

How far are you willing to drive?

I don't live in Dearborn but I can give you a couple of shops to go to.

Riders Hobby Shop 22789 Northline Rd Taylor, MI (734) 287-7405 (8 miles)

Prop Shop Hobbies Website 23326 Van Dyke Ave Warren, MI (586) 757-7160 (12 miles)

Web Site

Rider's Hobby Shop 32115 John R Rd Madison Heights, MI (248) 589-8111 (14 Miles)

Joe's Hobby Ctr 35151 Grand River Ave Farmington, MI (248) 477-6266 (15 Miles)

If you are willing to drive, Prop Shop and Joes are great places and Riders in Madison Heights is very good, Bob H flys at our club and gives us discounts.

I hope this helps
Bill

I did put in links to yahoo maps but they did not work!
Let me know if you need more info.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:39 PM
rcfanuk

Thanks a lot RedWing, its a last minute work thing and I havn't been there before. I'll have a rental car so it shouldn't be a problem.

Steve
Old 09-05-2003, 04:10 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

No problem.

I have been to these shops so I know what is in them.
As for others, I could not tell you.

Have a safe trip!

Bill
Old 09-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I got to see Riders when I was visiting my brother in Ann Arbor. I was VERY impressed! Nice hobby shop!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:09 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Prop- shop was a good place, I found an old Sig Kiwi still in stock at a great price, Good folks.

I think there was a couple in Livonia as well, lived there in 75 so it may have changed.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:48 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Steve,

Unfortunately, there are no shops I'm aware of (and I'm a Ford/Visteon lifer ) near Dearborn any more. Joe's had a good one on Wyoming which they closed a few years back, consolidating it with their Farmington store previously mentioned.

Getting to any of the mentioned stores is a 1/2 hour to 1.5 hour proposition, depending on the time of day and the day of the week. This is also compounded by the ungodly amount of road construction going on in the Detroit area right now. Note that after 7pm the traffic situation goes away, but most of these places close by 8pm so that doesn't help much. The weekend is usually no problem, if you're still here then.

The nearest one is the Taylor Rider's, which is about 25-30 minutes from the Ford WHQ (kinda the epicenter of Dearborn), but watch out for the I-75 construction. The best one in the area that I know of is undoubtedly Prop Shop, but that's one heck of a drive on a week day due to the above cited problems. Joe's is probably the second best (my LHS), and the least construction problems, but could be a 1 hour+ drive on Friday afternoon just due to traffic.

There's also another Riders at 42011 Ford Road in Canton, which has a moderate sized R/C section and lots of friendly folk. It's probably the second closest to Dearborn, and possibly the fastest to get to.

I believe there are a couple of other smaller multi-hobby shops down river, but there names escape me at the moment and I don't think they're worth the special trip in any case.

If you haven't planned on it, you might want to make time to see Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum (now collectively known as "The Henry Ford"), which has a sizable aircraft collection along with an incredible number of interesting historical items to see. Be warned though, you can easily blow a couple of days there if you're historically inclined.

If you have email access next week, give me a yell and maybe I can hook up with you to show you the sights.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:05 PM
SDR-Hammer

Goinstraightup, if you were "VERY impressed" with the Riders in A2, I'll assume that you don't get out much.

If you really want to see a GOOD R/C'ers shop then visit the two that Redwing mentioned the next time your in town. Riders is a decent shop but pails in comparison to Joe's or the Prop Shop.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:03 AM
rcfanuk

Thaks a lot for the replies guys, as I'll be in work most of the time, I'm not gonna get a lot of time to "shop" but I will try and get to one hobby store and stock up on the small items that cost a fortune by the time they get to the UK (robart hinges for one).

RickVB thanks for the invite and if I get time I will mail you, (I'll be working at the Ford site)

regards
Steve