The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Why....just why?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why....just why?

I dont get it...why do people bicker back and forth on forums over things? I mean, looking around here at RCU and RCG, it seems people just like to bicker back and forth, back and forth, back and forth about things....i mean come on! Its a HOBBY!!!! Sorry about my very brief rant.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:49 PM
jimmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Why....just why?

Hi Microz I think it is something to do with opinion's, as an American guy I knew used to say all the time opinions are like a**holes everyone has one.
Jim.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 AM
Sourkraut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Microz

I dont get it...why do people bicker back and forth on forums over things? I mean, looking around here at RCU and RCG, it seems people just like to bicker back and forth, back and forth, back and forth about things....i mean come on! Its a HOBBY!!!! Sorry about my very brief rant.

True that.....+1 Lots of keyboard cowboys out there! Lots of guys are great guys face to face, but give them a keyboard and monitor and a switch gets flicked.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:22 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My favorite is when someone post a dilemma, you post a response, then the OP belittles you for your response. If you know everything already, then don't ask. If you don't get the answer you need, at least thank the others for trying.

David
Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

jimmac- yes i believe opinions have something to do with it too...although, i don't see why people need to get worked up over it. I just kind of keep away when something gets tense....
Sourkraut- Yep for sure. I think its the fact that nobody can hurt them behind a computer?
daveopam- Oh yeah...thats happened to me many times. I just don't get it. Thats why im now always a little hesitant to posting something.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It seems that you can ask a question and someone gives a seemingly good answer. Then someone has to bash the responder with a different answer. Then someone else comes in with a different answer and bashes both of the other responders.

I think it's mainly when one person supports a hobby supplier and then another supplier's loyalists get involve and start bashing company A because they buy from company B.

Idon't know how long you have been in the hobby, but back before the "internet", it was a different world. I started when I was 8 and knew nothing about building planes with the exception of the plastic models I had been building. Back then you could buy a Revell model for 98 cents. But back to the story, I saw a guy flying a control line airplane in the school yard. I was hooked. After I built my first Ringmaster, my friends got interested and it became a, (for lack of a better word) gang, later it bacame a "club". We were just a group of young boys having fun building and flying planes. Thank goodness for the AMA and it's magazine. That's where we learned most everything about building and flying tied in with the trial and error or experimentation.

Everybody was friends and the competition was friendly. Now days, there is tension within the clubs.

It's a shame when one thinks that only their opinion is the correct and only opinion.

Frank
Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: countilaw

It seems that you can ask a question and someone gives a seemingly good answer. Then someone has to bash the responder with a different answer. Then someone else comes in with a different answer and bashes both of the other responders.

I think it's mainly when one person supports a hobby supplier and then another supplier's loyalists get involve and start bashing company A because they buy from company B.

Idon't know how long you have been in the hobby, but back before the "internet", it was a different world. I started when I was 8 and knew nothing about building planes with the exception of the plastic models I had been building. Back then you could buy a Revell model for 98 cents. But back to the story, I saw a guy flying a control line airplane in the school yard. I was hooked. After I built my first Ringmaster, my friends got interested and it became a, (for lack of a better word) gang, later it bacame a "club". We were just a group of young boys having fun building and flying planes. Thank goodness for the AMA and it's magazine. That's where we learned most everything about building and flying tied in with the trial and error or experimentation.

Everybody was friends and the competition was friendly. Now days, there is tension within the clubs.

It's a shame when one thinks that only their opinion is the correct and only opinion.

Frank
I just started this hobby about 2 years ago, so im not too sure about what it was like before internet...heck, i wasn't even being thought of before there was internet...i came around in 1997!Yeah i just joined a club to fly my bigger planes in, and its not only with brands, but with the MATERIAL the plane is made with. The older guys at the field will always say this about my planes: "it flies good for being made out of foam, but would fly even better if it was balsa." I don't get why the material matters...i happen to like foam. Easier for me to deal with. Also, im part of the minority...i fly electrics only while the others fly gassers and glow...so i get some unwanted comments there as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM
hlh3rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree.(Foamy vs balsa), (kit vs arf vs rtf),(park flyer vs club flyer), (electric vs nitro vs gas, vs jet), and the(younger flyers are stupid andlazy vs older flyers areout of touch oldgeezers)battles are so silly and childish. As longas you and I are having FUN with what we're flying, and we're doing it safely, that's all that should matter.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:30 AM
acerc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Microz please don't let those jackasses deter you from this wonderfull hobby. It does not mater what material, what mean's of propulsion, or anyone's opinion. What matter's most is what you like and enjoy. There will alway's be those naysayer's in life even beyond the hobby. How you deal with them is more important. I usually just smile, thank them for their opinion, and go on my merry way.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It seems that you can ask a question and someone gives a seemingly good answer. Then someone has to bash the responder with a different answer. Then someone else comes in with a different answer and bashes both of the other responders. [img][/img]

I don't know how long you have been in the hobby, but back before the ''internet'', it was a different world. I started when I was 8 and knew nothing about building planes with the exception of the plastic models I had been building. Back then you could buy a Revell model for 98 cents. But back to the story, I saw a guy flying a control line airplane in the school yard. I was hooked. After I built my first Ringmaster, my friends got interested and it became a, (for lack of a better word) gang, later it bacame a ''club''. We were just a group of young boys having fun building and flying planes. Thank goodness for the AMA and it's magazine. That's where we learned most everything about building and flying tied in with the trial and error or experimentation.

Frank
What I don't understand, is why someone would say this (bolded text above),
and in another thread call folks idiots because they have a different opinion.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...mpage_2/tm.htm (post 31)

Calling folks idiots might explain part of the OP's query.
But, I don't know.
What do you think, countilaw?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
jimmac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Microz the best way to look at this is take out the good and ignore the rest, and remember that every day is a school day we all can learn something new
every day.
Jim.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hlh3rd- I agree. Its all about the fun! (as long as its safe).

acerc- Yeah im going to just ignore them. I mean, thats what they deserve if they are going to try and pick a fight over the littlest things...such as plane material and power plant.

jimmac- Yep you said it well my friend!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It not a hobby its an obsession. Why do some people need to rant about the discussion?
Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Microz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im unsure of what discussion you are speaking of.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Crash-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My planes faster than yours. NEANER NEANER NEANER!!!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:54 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 804

It seems that you can ask a question and someone gives a seemingly good answer. Then someone has to bash the responder with a different answer. Then someone else comes in with a different answer and bashes both of the other responders. [img][/img]

Idon't know how long you have been in the hobby, but back before the ''internet'', it was a different world. I started when I was 8 and knew nothing about building planes with the exception of the plastic models I had been building. Back then you could buy a Revell model for 98 cents. But back to the story, I saw a guy flying a control line airplane in the school yard. I was hooked. After I built my first Ringmaster, my friends got interested and it became a, (for lack of a better word) gang, later it bacame a ''club''. We were just a group of young boys having fun building and flying planes. Thank goodness for the AMA and it's magazine. That's where we learned most everything about building and flying tied in with the trial and error or experimentation.

Frank

But, I don't know.

804, You have to understand the thread and the posters to know what is going on. So don't be coming around here trolling for a fight with me. Those posters are idiots and if you knew them, you would understand.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 804

I don't know how long you have been in the hobby, but back before the ''internet'', it was a different world. I started when I was 8 and knew nothing about building planes with the exception of the plastic models I had been building. Back then you could buy a Revell model for 98 cents. But back to the story, I saw a guy flying a control line airplane in the school yard. I was hooked. After I built my first Ringmaster, my friends got interested and it became a, (for lack of a better word) gang, later it bacame a ''club''. We were just a group of young boys having fun building and flying planes. Thank goodness for the AMA and it's magazine. That's where we learned most everything about building and flying tied in with the trial and error or experimentation.

Frank

But, I don't know.

804, You have to understand the thread and the posters to know what is going on. So don't be coming around here trolling for a fight with me. Those posters are idiots and if you knew them, you would understand.

Well, countilaw,
I understand the subject and the thread well enough to have formed an opinion as to who the "idiots" are.
Let's just say we have 180 degree opposing viewpoints on the matter.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:11 PM
countilaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why, just why would someone come here to this thread just to pick a fight? He goes to another thread, which he evidentely doesn't know what's going one and drag it over here.

And then there only contribution is to pick a fight. And of course his opinion is the right and only opinion.

And I asure you, anyone that is in this hobby long enough will eventually want to and will build an airplane. Many years ago, Cox manufactured plastic control line airplanes. And lots of kids got them for birthdays and christmas. I didn't fly very well, but many of those kids went on to build and fly their own designs.

So it doesn't matter what you start with. If you are having fun, then enjoy it and have lots of fun. Don't pay any attention to what people say, there will always be antagonists just as there is in this thread. There will always be someone wanting to throw a monkey wrench into everyone's fun.

Frank
Old 08-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It amazes me how so many people want to offer advise on something they know nothing about, they are self proclaimed experts on everything and know very little about anything, that is why I only ask help from those I know have the experience in the area and that I can trust. you ask for help on here and you will get a lot of advise that is just plain wrong and those that are experience in the area knows it but the ones just starting out don't and can be mislead in doing something stupid. sometimes I just laugh at the advice these so called experts give knowing its wrong and they clearly don't know what they are talking about. But than sometimes you have to realize there more than one way of doing things and its a matter of preference of how you do it.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Bill G

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Waco

It amazes me how so many people want to offer advise on something they know nothing about, they are self proclaimed experts on everything and know very little about anything, that is why I only ask help from those I know have the experience in the area and that I can trust. you ask for help on here and you will get a lot of advise that is just plain wrong and those that are experience in the area knows it but the ones just starting out don't and can be mislead in doing something stupid. sometimes I just laugh at the advice these so called experts give knowing its wrong and they clearly don't know what they are talking about. But than sometimes you have to realize there more than one way of doing things and its a matter of preference of how you do it.
You got it. There are always people trying to promote and appoint themselves as the forum "resident expert". What's worse is that they've gone from low effort contributors who think that they know something, to no effort contributors who know nothing. I got banned at that other place due to not putting up with their insulting ways. I refuse to put countless hours into detailed build threads, only to be used as a "stage to walk up on" for someone to show off their expertise, and get really irked when they become sarcastic about it. A lot of good people have been knocked off there, for not putting up with those types. What's worse is that they have driven so many of the knowledgeable people away. Let's face it, they don't look for someone in the beginner forum who is building a Slow Stick, so they can critique their build thread to show off their expertise. They look for a master level builder who is building something they could never dream of building, and then critique their build thread, so they can show off as the "self appointed resident expert".

As Daveopam said, some people ask for advice and then get upset when you give it. I have a rule that I never critique others and never ask for advice. The few times I ever asked for advice, I got answers to questions I didn't ask. The people misread the question into something that they thought they knew the answer to, as their minds are geared that way, rather than reading the question and realizing that they simply didn't have the answer.